Low HR Training

Running/Bike (Read 395 times)

The Jogger

My WHR 70% is 150 for running, would that be the same for cycling? Cheers Roy

run-easy-race-hard

My WHR 70% is 150 for running, would that be the same for cycling? Cheers Roy
      What's WHR 70%?

The Jogger

Working Heart Rate

run-easy-race-hard

It's hard to answer that question. It doesn't sound like a low HR question, so you may want to follow the guideline of the approach that you're following. For example, for Maffetone's approach, which is an age-based approach, you would use the same heart rate for all activities, assuming you weren't much more fit in one activity than another. Maffetone's approach is based on variation of respiratory quotient with heart rate vs age, but that's much different from an approach based on max heart rate. I don't know exactly what you mean by 70% working heart rate, but I assume it's tied to max heart rate. For most everyone, max heart rate (really *peak* heart rate) is different for each activity, so you would use a different target based on whatever your reference heart rate is for a given activity (i.e, your peak, anaerobic threshold, or lactate threshold, for that activity - each will be different for each activity, in general)
            What's WHR 70%?
            It might be a synonym for "Heart Rate Reserve" (HRR) : MHR - RHR
            lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

WHR: Working Heart Rate? Beats non working heart rate Lg1
              ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
              Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
              ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)

The Jogger

I don't know if this link will work but this is the forum/calculator I use, it has a great log, I use this and RA to log my runs. I might try the maffetone again, I did it a year or so ago. Roy http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-calculators-hrzones.php
                Pammie

Hello Roy Yay - another fetchie I low heart rate tran but like you i keep to below 70% WHR (or HRR) which for me is 146 which by default is the same as what my Maff would be personally i keep below 70% I've been doing this regularly since the new year and hav noticed the improvements and can see it continuing for a while yet As for the cycling i don't know about what heart rates they keep to on easy rides or what proportion of easy rides they do. But i do know because cycling is a weight bearing exercise your cycle MHR won't be as high as when you are running
                  stevej

Generally from a max hr perspective bike hr would be lower 5-10 lower. From a maf perspective it would be the same I believe. I run at or below maf (142), but bike at 135 or below. Incidentally maf is 65 percent hrr or wrh using my run max hr.

The Jogger

Thanks for the replies, I mught start the MAFF again soon, after south downs relay. Pammie, fetch is the site, your times are really good for your HR MAFF all the time by the look of it. irunslowly