Low HR Training

Low Mileage, how to build up? (Read 1115 times)

We went through the MAF formula discussion a bunch on CR.  http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum6/HTML/022020-24.shtml has a discussion I was involved in.  Personally, I think 180-age can't be exactly right for everyone (although it was right for me!) and you have to make adjustments.  More often those adjustments are actually down, but sometimes they might be up.  The best way is probably by RQ as you did, but I suggested a cheaper way that I think should work pretty well.  Use a one-hour race heart rate (which you can interpolate to using the team oregon pace wizard) and then using a percentage of that.  This accounts for people with high or low lactate thresholds.  Anyway, it's all in that thread.

I remember that discussion... in fact it looks like I'm the third post on that thread.  A more recent, higher quality, VO2 test than the first one I had then still indicates a MAF point 20% higher than what would be predicted by the formula+adjustments.

It would be interesting to try that "% of 1 hour race HR" to see how it compares to the VO2 test results.  I'd have to interpolate using my last "race", a 1/2 marathon where I ran the first couple miles with HR < 118 and the last mile or so in the high 130s (hey, ya gotta kick it a little going for the finish line...)  Not quite sure how I'd use that to find a 1 hour race HR.

BeeRunB

I remember that discussion... in fact it looks like I'm the third post on that thread.  A more recent, higher quality, VO2 test than the first one I had then still indicates a MAF point 20% higher than what would be predicted by the formula+adjustments.

It would be interesting to try that "% of 1 hour race HR" to see how it compares to the VO2 test results.  I'd have to interpolate using my last "race", a 1/2 marathon where I ran the first couple miles with HR < 118 and the last mile or so in the high 130s (hey, ya gotta kick it a little going for the finish line...)  Not quite sure how I'd use that to find a 1 hour race HR.

Hey GIno,

What is your MAF again? I remember you talking about that. Both Dr.Phil and Mark Allen talk about the formula might not be accurate above 60-65+, and that an extra ten beats might need to be added on top of the 180-age with adjustments, depending. Also, Dr. Phil mentions that once you get started, you can keep the same MAF for up to 5 years, then an adjustment might need to be made. For a 70 year-old who started at age 65, this would mean a possible range of 105-130 bpm for an MAF. I'm sure there are some very fit individuals who might be higher.

Could you post the results of your RQ test? I'm curious to see what yours looks like and how you figured where your MAF point was. I had mine done in September, it was pretty cool to see where it was, as it was to see the AB (aerobic base point 50%fat/50%sugar) and LT.

--Jimmy

Beginner all over again

One thing to do is to set a time limit on your hard days, and once you reach those limits, start adding time to your easy days.

e.g. (3 hard days per 7 days)

1) off

2) :30 walk

3) 1:30  MAP 115-135

4):30 walk

5) 1:00 MEP 135-145

6) off

7) 2:30  MAP 115-135

Let's say the above are what you chose for limits on hard days. Once you reach them , add to the recovery days on day 2 & 4, but don't go past a certain limit. 

Well...whew... I made it.

My next LongRun climbs to the 2:30 time (plus WU/CD)

So my three Runs per week are WU/CD Plus --->

1:30

2:30

1:00

I am MAF for all runs

....except...every few weeks I throw in one shortest run at MEP (MAF+10)  (60 minutes)

I am "running" three times per week,  Not yet walking on Day 2 & 4  above.

I have decided to take the month of July to Bicycle (easy) on Days 2 & 4 for some general exercise on those days

and then in September I'll start with the :30 minutes of walking on Days 2 & 4

The initial :30 minutes is basically my WU and CD with Zero minutes in the middle  15-00-15

My plan is to add Five Minutes per week to one of the Days 2 or 4

and see how I tolerate that, gradually increasing it

but limiting those Days 2 & 4 to  30 minutes  plus WU/CD  (by week 12=Thanksgiving)

That will still give me a Day Off both Before and After Long-Run day........

So I have my newest   Four-Month Plan ready to implement !

P.S.  Comments always welcomed !!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

FrancesR-- I do not think you need to add walking. Your bike X-Training will probably do the trick.

I need to get on mine!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Well...whew... I made it.

My next LongRun climbs to the 2:30 time (plus WU/CD)

So my three Runs per week are WU/CD Plus --->

1:30

2:30

1:00

I am MAF for all runs

....except...every few weeks I throw in one shortest run at MEP (MAF+10)  (60 minutes)

I am "running" three times per week,  Not yet walking on Day 2 & 4  above.

I have decided to take the month of July to Bicycle (easy) on Days 2 & 4 for some general exercise on those days

and then in September I'll start with the :30 minutes of walking on Days 2 & 4

The initial :30 minutes is basically my WU and CD with Zero minutes in the middle  15-00-15

My plan is to add Five Minutes per week to one of the Days 2 or 4

and see how I tolerate that, gradually increasing it

but limiting those Days 2 & 4 to  30 minutes  plus WU/CD  (by week 12=Thanksgiving)

That will still give me a Day Off both Before and After Long-Run day........

So I have my newest   Four-Month Plan ready to implement !

P.S.  Comments always welcomed !!

good plan! be sure to constantly monitor how your body tolerates the increases in training.

I agree with runnerclay, the walking is not really necessary, I don't believe it would help much with running. simply, it would not really give much stimulation for your body to get it to improve. I think it would only be a stimulation if someone was in a truly sorry shape, which is probably very rare among people who have ran a half marathon already. Smile

by the way, I was a pretty good walker before taking up running (it was very hard to push my walking to MAF and at that point I was walking very fast, definitely faster than 11min/mile) and my aerobic running was still really crap (couldn't do 11min/mile running at MAF!! only much slower!!).

Beginner all over again

I agree with runnerclay, the walking is not really necessary, .

Thanks

But...does this mean I should Run only 3 days per week Plus Bicycle two ?  is that what
              The "walking isn't necessary" means?