Low HR Training

hanging in there... (Read 329 times)

Finished!

I have read and have been reminded several times by my tri-training friend that it can take 8-12 weeks to show improvement using this method of training. I'm wondering if I'm hitting the same frustrations as many new runners who are also new MAF follwers. In a nutshell: I started running last yr, ran a couple races, started training for a HM. Inadvertently discovered that every run was essentially at Tempo....and then I damaged myself in January. I've just come off the bench, and have been reintroducing running - and am finding that I have to go at a really slow pace to stay on track - oftentimes having to slow to a brisk walk. Thanks, FormationFlier, for the FAQ - it has been a good reality check for me, and makes me hope that if I just stick it out, I'll see improvement. I should note that 2 of my friends have trained using MAF or some variation thereof and have seen wonderful improvement - one of them even qualified for boston this past yr!
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Forever Learning

Hang in there is right - I keep telling that to myself. Am I really doing better running this slow and will I see improvements?!? Best of luck and keep us updated. I am likely going to start a separate thread to log my progress...

run-easy-race-hard

Patience is one of the most critical parts! Try to track your data as well as you can to know what adjustments you may need to make and to analyze your trends every few weeks. Also, try to get in some time on downhills, where you pick up your pace to keep your heart rate up at the MAF level. It will help you maintain running economy. Good luck.

Prophet!

i'm pretty fortunate that when i started the MAF thing 3 weeks a back my pace dropped only about 20 - 30s per mile than what i was running my easy runs were prior to MAF (i've been running for a year now). The most rewarding thing so far is not that i'm getting faster, but i'm getting more comfortable at these paces for longer durations...i'm not so wiped out at the longer runs anymore and i can run more miles without getting hurt...so i'm not sweating the pace stuff until i finish the base building phase (12 weeks for me).. so yeah, be patient, you'll get there..

Finished!

thanks guys, I appreciate it. It looks like on a treadmill I'm having to stick to 3.5mph or slower with no incline for now for a "run" speed. Unfortunately, no downhills are possible right now - mostly because I don't do well in the heat and I live in the desert southwest. Night running gives me the heeby jeebies and in order to beat the sun to the pavement, I'd have to be up at some ungodly hour of the morning (way earlier than 5am I think) I've taken to xtraining with bike or elliptical, trying to keep high cadence as an alternate. I'm definitely hanging in there, and hoping to be able to report improvement Smile
            Walk + Jog = wog.

Finished!

Well, it's been a while since I've popped in for an update Smile It's been about a month since starting, and I've been keeping my runs (if you can call them that) limited to 2-3/week. I have also been trying to make sure to cross train. I noticed yesterday on my first 25min continuous run in a while (I'm re-doing the C25k program after coming off horrible shin splints) - I had no trouble maintaining my heartrate in my target zone at my paltry 3.5mph - not long ago, 3.5mph would actually push me out the top of the zone! it seems to be working Smile
              Walk + Jog = wog.

Forever Learning

Awesome!!! Keep us posted on your progress Smile