Low HR Training

Running in colder weather (Read 504 times)

Pammie

Hello 

Not posted in ages here but if i can ask a question

A query posted on a UK based forum i frequent (as well as this one) 

Is there any evidence anywhere that when running in colder weather it is harder to keep your  running at a LHR (for the same pace obviously) 

One suggestion is as it is colder even if dressed appropriately the body has to work harder to keep the body at a appropriate temperture

anyone notice any differences in their running between winter and other times of the year. If their are links to any such evidence would be good too

Thanks very much

C-R

I tend to run faster paces in the winter at MAF. Summer heat and humidity drives the HR through the roof. Not so much in colder weather for me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I find my paces quicken at my MAF HR in the spring and fall and slow in the cold winter and heat of summer.

Its hard to say for sure, but I suspect that part of the slow down in the winter is due to less traction (lots of snow where I live), shorter stide and more concentration to keep yourself from falling. I seem to have to tell myself to relax more when I'm running outside in the winter because I seem to be more tense which makes my HR rise.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

Hello 

Not posted in ages here but if i can ask a question

A query posted on a UK based forum i frequent (as well as this one) 

Is there any evidence anywhere that when running in colder weather it is harder to keep your  running at a LHR (for the same pace obviously) 

One suggestion is as it is colder even if dressed appropriately the body has to work harder to keep the body at a appropriate temperture

anyone notice any differences in their running between winter and other times of the year. If their are links to any such evidence would be good too

Thanks very much

Hey Pammie,

Prime temperatures for performance tend to be around 40ºF (4.5 ºC), and as it gets colder, performance can be affected. It becomes a game of keeping your core temperature at 98.6ºF (37ºC). Once it starts to drop below, the body needs more oxygen to stay warm and performance at the same HR will be affected. Thus, it becomes about how warm you should dress. Too many layers might affect performance, if you dress too hot the body might have a problem dissipating heat. Too little dress, and the body can't get warm enough. Hypothermia could be a problem (95º and below).

Here's an article in Runner's World:

Click here

Keep going, Pammie!

--Jimmy

Pammie

Thanks for all the replies all.

Jimmy thank you too, it does make common sense when you think about it. Thanks for the link as well

Its understandably easy now to know why some are struggling at the moment we are lucky if temps reach over 0 degree C some places are colder more snow is expected tomorrow

many thanks

we are lucky if temps reach over 0 degree C some places are colder more snow is expected tomorrow

0 degrees celcius.........that would be a heat wave where I live. The high on Monday was -4 F and low was -17F. I've ran outside in -13F before with no problems.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Pammie

0 degrees celcius.........that would be a heat wave where I live. The high on Monday was -4 F and low was -17F. I've ran outside in -13F before with no problems.

Luckily i live in the south some places in northern counties were a lot colder

I just love the warm weather

I think the sweet spot for best performance is individual too. 40F cold impairs my performance at fast paces, my muscles just don't seem to be happy with it. so I think sweet spot for me is more like between 50 and 60 F.

with slower paces it doesn't matter, I'm just fine at 30-40F.

I find, in my case, if the temps drop below 15F, my heart rate increases a lot. if it is warmer than that, I think it doesn't have much effect in my case.

and of course running in snow will slow you down.