Low HR Training

Out of Commission for at least 3-4 months (Read 495 times)

Thanks for the kind words. The whole thing was rather flukey. This is what caused the fall: "Vasovagal syncope Vasovagal syncope is one of the most common causes of fainting. In this situation, the balance between the chemicals adrenaline and acetylcholine is disrupted. Adrenaline stimulates the body, including making the heart beat faster and blood vessels narrower. Acetylcholine does the opposite. When the vagus nerve is stimulated, excess acetylcholine is released, the heart rate slows and the blood vessels dilate, making it harder for blood to defeat gravity and be pumped to the brain. This temporary decrease in blood flow to the brain causes the syncopal (fainting) episode. Pain can stimulate the vagus nerve and is a common cause of vasovagal syncope. Other noxious stimuli can do the same thing, including a situational stressor. It is common for medical and nursing students to faint when observing their first operation or autopsy. Some people pass out when they hear bad news; others pass-out when they experience the sight of blood or needles. Other situations commonly cause the heart rate to temporarily slow and cause a faint. Straining with urination, bowel movement, or coughing can cause a vagal response." I got up quick to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night(Tuesday night), felt dizzy, and passed out. The cardioligist says it is fairly common....especially those with slow beating, well conditioned hearts. If you feel light headed when getting up to urinate, it is best to sit on the stool (sorry to be so graphic). I was in the hospital for more than two days with a compressive vertable fracture (T11) and endured several tests on my heart, blood and bone density. Evererything checked out great. They were originally concerned that I may have osteoporosis given the break I received from such a short fall. I had a CT scan, MRI, and a bone density scan. Again, everything checked out. The doctors are all still puzzled as to how I could do so much damage from such a short fall at my age and physical condition. I came home about two hours ago and noticed that the rug in the bathroom slides on the floor too easily. I probably slipped on that rug as I was passing out and landed on my ass. When I woke up on the bathroom floor, I couldn't move. I had to be hauled out on a stretcher. As of today, the pain has subsided quite a bit and I'm able to get around fairly well. The doctor says I might have to use the brace for as long as 3 months, but he may just be trying to set reasonable expectations. Running is definitely going to be out of the question for at least 2-3 months I would guess. As soon as I get the green light, I'll use this as an opportunity to become a better swimmer. Smile Jesse, I google searched your CoolRunning log because I remembered that you went through a similar situation a few years back when you hurt your knee. Reviewing your log was inspiring.
    Very interesting. I have had this happen to me twice. (getting up at night to go to the bathroom, in fact) I passed out and my wife came running in freaked out. Fortunately I wasn't injured. So, now when I get up, even in the morning, I sit up at the bed for a minute before getting up. It sounds like a good workout today. Stairs suck! Smile
    BeeRunB

. Straining with a bowel movement can cause a vagal response."
      Oh, THAT'S why I keep passing out on the john, I thought it was just Number Two Nirvana. --Jimmy --Laughter Heals Dept.
      wanderingoutlaw

Over the past few months, I've noticed this light-headed feeling when getting out of bed, so now I'm glad to know it's because my heart is well-conditioned. bdags, it's great that you've found a workout already

John

Over the past few months, I've noticed this light-headed feeling when getting out of bed, so now I'm glad to know it's because my heart is well-conditioned. bdags, it's great that you've found a workout already
          Be careful or you could wake up next to your toilet missing some teeth, or worse! The good news is the pain is comepletely gone. The bad news is wearing this brace sucks!
            Hang in there, Bdags. Last summer I had a herniated disc, and it was very discouraging at first, so I know how it feels. It was the uncertainty of the outcome that had me most worried. It felt like, at the time, that I would never be able to run again. Very depressing. But, the body is amazing and it healed, and actually healed more quickly than I ever thought it would. So, after about 3 weeks, I was able to start running again. Hopefully, you will heal quickly and be back before you know it. It is very encouraging to hear that you are pain free now.
              Update... Back feels great, but still wearing the brace. I still don't know for sure how long I'll need to wear it...I keep getting different answers. I've been doing a lot of light work on a stationary bike and some "up and down the stairs" workouts at home. I feel fortunate to be able to something to maintain some fitness. At my appointment next week, I'm going to ask the Doc if I can start swimming.
                That's a good 3 week update! keep checking in and let us know how the swimming goes, A

Recalculating...

I got the OK from the doctor to swim this morning! I headed straight to the pool and did a very leisurely 1800 yards in 52:09.
                  Shiksa

Very good news! Enjoy your pool time.

Stacy
                    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com