Low HR Training

Minimalist-ish shoes for long slow runs (Read 1100 times)

Hi all.

I've been doing most of my runs of late (last year) in minimalist-style shoes of varying degrees. I use/used Nike free 5.0s, Saucony Kinvaras,  Vibram five fingers and some barefoot runs. Generally I like the feel of less shoe, but I do feel my lower legs a bit sorer on the longer slower runs.

I'm looking for something maybe a little more cushioned but I dont want to go back to big heeled control shoes.

Anyone recommend something that's still kind of minimalist but more suitable for long slow runs?

BeeRunB

I think the soreness just shows that you need more time building up before running that long in whatever of those choices of footwear you were running in. I also use the Free and the Kinvara. I've gone 11 miles in the Kinvara without  a hitch. Definitely cushioned (as compared to the Free).

In the past, I've done 20's and marathons in the Free 5.0.

Any soreness I ever had with the Free was in the beginning (7.0 at the time), but not very much.

So, I think it is just more time building up.

--Jimmy  Cool

I haven't worn the Free or the Kinvara, but I wear zero drop whenever I can.  I think the Altra Instinct is pretty great as a zero-drop, wide-toeboxed trainer.  I've used it for runs up to 24 miles without issue: http://www.altrazerodrop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_15151_18952_69006_176939

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I think the soreness just shows that you need more time building up before running that long in whatever of those choices of footwear you were running in. I also use the Free and the Kinvara. I've gone 11 miles in the Kinvara without  a hitch. Definitely cushioned (as compared to the Free).

>snip<

So, I think it is just more time building up.

--Jimmy  Cool

+1

Sounds like you need more time short running BF & minimal before heading out for long runs. BF and minimal use the calves & achilles more than standard shoes and you need to build them up gradually like any muscle. That's the mistake I made last year when combining Vibram Bikilas with new hilly neighborhood. Clobbered my calves for most of 2011. Still have to be careful and be sure to get level ground and cross training days in to keep the calves happy.

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Cheers guys - yeah maybe it's just a case of ramping up distance too quickly - I had been doing mostly short (<10k) runs until a few months ago, when i ramped up to half marathon, so maybe just ease my way back up.

My issues are more with my shins than calves for some reason. Barefoot actually doesn't hurt (well my soles a little) - maybe cause I cant run as far Smile

The Altra Instincts do look pretty good also - though I'm not sure I can get them over here (Australia).

Shondek

Hi Sean I know you want more cushioning but have you tried them with no insoles you might be surprised by the result ..and are you sure the pain is caused by lack of cushioning.? .

Hi Sean I know you want more cushioning but have you tried them with no insoles you might be surprised by the result ..and are you sure the pain is caused by lack of cushioning.? .

Hi Shondek,

yeah I'm not sure that lack of cushioning is the issue. It was just a guess as it seemed to affect longer runs, which I used to use more cushioned shoes on. It's more likely, as other suggested, that I just built up too quickly.

I have run a bit in the frees without the soles, as they were a tad tight. 

Havent had much problems lately, been doing shorter runs and runs off the bike.

I went to Luke's Locker in Dallas today (best known running store) and looked at the minimalist shoes (4mm drop).

Now too many choices and confusion sets in.  Kirvana felt good but I am not sure I want to spend $85.

I might try to find some used ones on www.Geartrade.com.

I am running 35-40 miles per week with no problems in my New Balance 993 and Brooks Glycerin; not sure why I want to change but I am convinced less is better even though I have not tried it.

Chris

Shondek

I went to Luke's Locker in Dallas today (best known running store) and looked at the minimalist shoes (4mm drop).

Now too many choices and confusion sets in.  Kirvana felt good but I am not sure I want to spend $85.

I might try to find some used ones on www.Geartrade.com.

I am running 35-40 miles per week with no problems in my New Balance 993 and Brooks Glycerin; not sure why I want to change but I am convinced less is better even though I have not tried it.

Hi Crmilt

I have been using these for past couple of months with great but painful results(ankles and below) and I find it hard to wear anything else ..I bought an extra pair just to walk around in; you might find them cheaper than the link below..well thought of by the pose crowd..whoever they are

Surprisingly I have had no muscle pain and my dodgy tendon issue has vanished.

The best part is they never smell after they have been through mud, rivers and what not ;I just rinse them under a tap squeeze out the excess

water and leave them next to the heating and they are dry by the next day the next day .

There is virtually no wear on the soles and one bloke managed to get 3 years out of them..

Not very pleasant in a freezing wet morning run feels a bit like running in your slippers

http://www.amazon.com/PUMA-H-Street-2011-Cross-Training-Shoe/dp/B005543YGS

Hi Crmilt

I have been using these for past couple of months with great but painful results(ankles and below) and I find it hard to wear anything else ..I bought an extra pair just to walk around in; you might find them cheaper than the link below..well thought of by the pose crowd..whoever they are

Surprisingly I have had no muscle pain and my dodgy tendon issue has vanished.

The best part is they never smell after they have been through mud, rivers and what not ;I just rinse them under a tap squeeze out the excess

water and leave them next to the heating and they are dry by the next day the next day .

There is virtually no wear on the soles and one bloke managed to get 3 years out of them..

Not very pleasant in a freezing wet morning run feels a bit like running in your slippers

http://www.amazon.com/PUMA-H-Street-2011-Cross-Training-Shoe/dp/B005543YGS

i will look at the Pumas.  Thanks for the note.

Chris

I found the Skeckers Go Runs slightly on sale and bought them.  Ran 4 miles in them this afternoon.  I will see if my legs feel different tomorrow.

Positive opinion so far!

Chris

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Chris - I just picked up a pair of Saucony Hattori 4oz zero heel drop shoes at the Sam Marcos outlets. Got a great price on them. We were heading there to pick up GoRuns if we found them - DW still wants me in shoes even tho BF is cheaper...LOL. Have seen good reports on the GoRuns' tho.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Chris - I just picked up a pair of Saucony Hattori 4oz zero heel drop shoes at the Sam Marcos outlets. Got a great price on them. We were heading there to pick up GoRuns if we found them - DW still wants me in shoes even tho BF is cheaper...LOL. Have seen good reports on the GoRuns' tho.

Is there a Saucony outlet in San Marcos?

Chris

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Is there a Saucony outlet in San Marcos?

Yes. In the Premium Outlets

bob e v

Oh roo roooo!

Have you guys checked at Running Warehouse online?  They have a big sale going on right now, and if you enter FB15D as the discount code (only good on the sale items) when you go to check out, you get another 15% off.  Use the "shoe finder" feature to look for specifically shoes with minimal heel-to-toe drop.

This place offers free shipping both ways, so if you don't like what you order, just pack it back up, put the included postage paid label on the box and send it back.  They are really a great place, have done business w/them many many times w/no problems ever.