Low HR Training

LHRT and training for the mile (Read 21 times)

Misplaced runner...

Greetings,

I am taking a break from ultras for a while and am focusing on racing the mile.  I live about 30 miles NE of Houston, where there are no hills - at all.  Having moved here from the north Puget Sound area a year ago, this is very distressing for running.  I would like to use LHRT through the summer here, in part because my running has been a bit inconsistent over the past year.  Plus it seems a good way to base train through the heat and humidity.  The mile race I am gearing up for is in mid-October.

I would like to solicit recommendations as to whether or not I just plow all the way through to October with LHRT, or do I break from it in, say, August or so to undergo focused mile training?  I don't have access to a treadmill, but there is a small parking garage nearby where I could do a bit of "downhill" running.

Any input or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  I know the primary focus of this method is more geared for long distance/endurance running, but I believe I can benefit from this for the mile as well.  Plus, I do plan to get back to ultras/distance running over the next year or two, so continuing to re-develop the base will be an ongoing process.  Thanks for your time,

Tim

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

BeeRunB

Hi TIm,

At least a 12-week base period is recommended (it won't hurt you to go longer if you feel it's doing you good). Try that, which I think brings you to August, then add in the specific workouts for the mile. What you want to keep your eye on is your aerobic speed. You want that to keep progressing as you add the anaerobic workouts; you should see added improvement.

Good luck running in the south. I made a similar move from the northeast, and it took awhile to adjust.

--JimmyCool

Misplaced runner...

Thanks Jimmy.  That's about what I was figuring on.  It will be interesting to see what a switch over to track-based workouts during the week will be like.  Would you suggest staying with LHRT runs the remainder of the week?  Probably would facilitate recovery from track sessions.  Sometime around the end of September/first part of October I'll probably do a 1000 time trial, then sharpening up to race day.

Yeah the whole heat/humidity thing would be okay if it were even just a bit hilly here, or some mountains fairly close by to escape to.   Some day I'll make it back, but that's a while off.  Thanks for chiming in.

tim

Hi TIm,

At least a 12-week base period is recommended (it won't hurt you to go longer if you feel it's doing you good). Try that, which I think brings you to August, then add in the specific workouts for the mile. What you want to keep your eye on is your aerobic speed. You want that to keep progressing as you add the anaerobic workouts; you should see added improvement.

Good luck running in the south. I made a similar move from the northeast, and it took awhile to adjust.

--JimmyCool

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

BeeRunB

It wouldn't hurt to do runs at MAF in between. They'll help you to recover, and keep your aerobic base more intact. At least you have a parking garage for some hills, up and down. It's amazing how flat parts of this country are. Not a problem here in Atlanta. Nothing but hills.

Good luck, Tim. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Jimmy.  That's about what I was figuring on.  It will be interesting to see what a switch over to track-based workouts during the week will be like.  Would you suggest staying with LHRT runs the remainder of the week?  Probably would facilitate recovery from track sessions.  Sometime around the end of September/first part of October I'll probably do a 1000 time trial, then sharpening up to race day.

Yeah the whole heat/humidity thing would be okay if it were even just a bit hilly here, or some mountains fairly close by to escape to.   Some day I'll make it back, but that's a while off.  Thanks for chiming in.

tim