Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

9\08\12

Graniteman 5k

Time = 0:22:28

Ave pace = 7:14

Ave. HR = 175

Max HR = 191

8th Overall

2nd 40-49 Male

This course was pretty hilly and I was really hoping to PR today, but didn't quite make it. I use Strava  to upload my cycling workouts and they have a cool processing routine that adjusts the pace because of the grade. Here are the results

Mile...Ave HR....Elevation change...Adjusted pace....Actual pace

Mile 1 165 18 <abbr>ft</abbr> 7:04

7:15

Mile 2 178 16 <abbr>ft</abbr> 7:01

7:21

Mile 3 182 -36 <abbr>ft</abbr> 7:00

7:00

0.14 mi 188 3 <abbr>ft</abbr> 6:14

6:22

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

9\08\12

Graniteman 5k

Ave. HR = 175

Max HR = 191

8th Overall

2nd 40-49 Male

This course was pretty hilly and I was really hoping to PR today, but didn't quite make it. I use Strava  to upload my cycling workouts and they have a cool processing routine that adjusts the pace because of the grade. Here are the results

Mile 1 165 18 7:04

Mile 2 178 16 7:01

Mile 3 182 -36 7:00

0.14 mi 188 3 6:14

Congrats. I checked the elevation. Not a PR course.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

npaden

Okay.  Finally got a chance to sit down and type up a race report for my 10k this morning.

The cold front that was forecast came through early so instead of 20-25 mph winds they were 5-10 mph so that was a big boost right off the bat.  The race time temperature was 60 degrees so that was really nice too.  Humidity was a little higher than normal for this time of year for around here at 71%, but I'll take that with 60 degrees for the temperature!

I got there early enough to get in a good warmup.  I jogged a 1/2 mile then picked it up to race pace for about 3 or 4 minutes and then jogged about a 1/2 mile just to get loosened up and get the blood flowing. 

This race has a 2 mile and a 10k that start out together and it is sponsored a school and they typically have a lot of kids running in the 2 mile.  There were 163 finishers for the 2 miler and 104 finishers for the 10k for a total of 267 runners, which isn't very big compared to most races but with the official time being the gun and almost 100 of the 2 milers being 19 or younger it makes for a pretty chaotic start for a normal running club race. 

Anyway the gun went off and I was able to get through the first turn at about .2 miles mixed in with the mass of kids and avoided a big puddle on the turn and things started to even out a little.  A bunch of the kids that had sprinted at the start were slowing down and that required some attention to weave in and out of them, but not bad.  I had my phone set to give me audio cues every 1/4 mile because I was worried about pacing since I rarely run at race pace.  I was right on target at the first check in and pretty close the next few.  Still tricky getting through traffic, but the bulk of the crowd disappeared at the 1 mile turn around.  First mile was a tiny big slower than I was planning on with an 8:05 split.  My HR was a little higher than I'm used to, but I was feeling pretty good and I tried to keep the pace going.

The next mile we were spreading out and I thought I had a good pacer lined up ahead of me, but there was a group of guys ahead of him that were starting to lag and I slowed down with them.  I hung back thinking they were going at a better pace then ended up going around them somewhere in there and tried to pick the pace back up.  Made a mistake at the aid station grabbing a gatorade instead of a water (I didn't think they would have anything but water on such a short race).  I drank it and instantly regretted it.  Not a big fan of the full strength gatorade and it doesn't really sit well in my stomach.  Already looking forward to the next aid station at the turnaround to wash that nasty taste out of my mouth.  Still feeling pretty good, HR climbing a bit but hanging in there under 175.

Mile 3 was pretty uneventful.  Tried to lock in the pace and there wasn't anyone in front of me to really gauge my pace so just paid close attention to my audio cues on my phone.  HR climbing and past 175, but still feeling okay.  Starting to breath a little heavier, but not bad at all.

Mile 4 was the turnaround and got a swig of water at the aid station.  Knowing I was halfway done provided a boost and I decided to pick it up a little bit to try to get my avg pace down to 8:00.  There was a slight headwind going out and it was now at my back and that helped a little too.  HR pretty stable through here only going up 1 beat for the avg.

Mile 5 meant I was almost done. Somewhere in here I started to get consistent HR readings in the 180's.  I knew I could clock along for a while at that pace and felt like I had a pretty good rhthym going and knew I could keep this up.  Grabbed a swig of water at the aid station although I wasn't sure if I needed to or not.  Avg pace dropped under 8:00 on this mile and I really felt like I had my 50:00 goal in the bag.

Mile 6 I had a friend ahead of me a hundred yards or so that I've always thought was a good runner and I was gaining on her!  I was afraid to push much more than I already was, but I was thinking I might have a chance to catch up to her.  I picked it up a little bit, but didn't start going all out until I turned the corner with about 200 yards to go.  This is the first race that I really felt like I didn't really have much more to give at the end.  I dropped that last split by 30 seconds or so, but it just didn't feel like I had enough to sprint it in like I've done sometimes in previous races.  My wife said I wasn't picking up my knees and I looked tired.  I think I was tired!  I think part of it may have been that I saw the clock and knew that I had my 50:00 goal in the bag too.  I watched it click over to 49:00 and I was almost there! 

I ended up coming in with an official time of 49:18 for a 7:56 avg pace.  My last (and my only other) 10k was back in June and I finished it in 54:12 and really felt like I had given it everythign I had.  That's almost 5 minutes faster in 3 months!   Conditions were a little worse that day as the temperature that day was 65 degrees with 90% humidity and a 15 mph wind, but not dramatically different. 

Here's my splits and HR numbers.

Splits (GPS Interval)
         TypeDistance Split settingsDurationTotal DurationPaceAvg HRMax HRElevation
        1 Manual 1 mi 8:04.11 8:04.11 8:05 167 177  0
        2 Manual 1 mi 8:07.01 16:11.12 8:08 172 177  -1
        3 Manual 1 mi 8:00.39 24:11.51 8:01 176 179 -7 
        4 Manual 1 mi 7:53.84 32:05.35 7:54 177 181  10
        5 Manual 1 mi 7:49.16 39:54.51 7:50 180 184  -12
        6 Manual 1 mi 7:42.2 47:36.71 7:43 183 186  2
        7 Manual 0.24 mi 1:42.29 49:19 7:07 189 193

Very happy with the end result.  I ended up taking first in the Clydesdale division after age grading by a whopping 2 seconds!  I finished almost a minute behind the guy, but I'm a little older so the age grading put me ahead of him.  That helps remind me that I need to push it in to the finish liine even if there isn't anyone to pass there at the end.

Oh well, long rambling race report, but that's me.  Really looking like all the base training this summer at MAF is really paying off.  I have a 5k coming up next month and I'm feeling pretty good about my goal time on now.  My goal was to break 24:00 and according to McMillan's calculator my equivalent time based on this race is a 23:44 5k so that sure looks doable now.

That's it from my end.  Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

labhiker

Nathan, Great race and way to go!  Thanks for the race report.  All the dog days of summer at or below MAF have paid off. 

labhiker

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Nathan WTG. Great report. Really nice pacing. Good to know you left it all out on the course. 5k's can hurt. I suggest you do some 400 repeats at < 7:40 pace ( 1:55). running my feel is not to bad in a 5k. 7:40="" pace="" (="" 1:55).="" running="" my="" feel="" is="" not="" to="" bad="" in="" a=""></ 7:40 pace ( 1:55). running my feel is not to bad in a 5k.>

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

9\08\12

Graniteman 5k

Ave. HR = 175

Max HR = 191

8th Overall

2nd 40-49 Male

Mile 1 165 18 7:04

Mile 2 178 16 7:01

Mile 3 182 -36 7:00

0.14 mi 188 3 6:14

Congratulations on the 2nd place finish, BT. Strong finish! Cool

--JImmy

BeeRunB

Okay.  Finally got a chance to sit down and type up a race report for my 10k this morning.

The cold front that was forecast came through early so instead of 20-25 mph winds they were 5-10 mph so that was a big boost right off the bat.  The race time temperature was 60 degrees so that was really nice too.  Humidity was a little higher than normal for this time of year for around here at 71%, but I'll take that with 60 degrees for the temperature!

I got there early enough to get in a good warmup.  I jogged a 1/2 mile then picked it up to race pace for about 3 or 4 minutes and then jogged about a 1/2 mile just to get loosened up and get the blood flowing. 

This race has a 2 mile and a 10k that start out together and it is sponsored a school and they typically have a lot of kids running in the 2 mile.  There were 163 finishers for the 2 miler and 104 finishers for the 10k for a total of 267 runners, which isn't very big compared to most races but with the official time being the gun and almost 100 of the 2 milers being 19 or younger it makes for a pretty chaotic start for a normal running club race. 

Anyway the gun went off and I was able to get through the first turn at about .2 miles mixed in with the mass of kids and avoided a big puddle on the turn and things started to even out a little.  A bunch of the kids that had sprinted at the start were slowing down and that required some attention to weave in and out of them, but not bad.  I had my phone set to give me audio cues every 1/4 mile because I was worried about pacing since I rarely run at race pace.  I was right on target at the first check in and pretty close the next few.  Still tricky getting through traffic, but the bulk of the crowd disappeared at the 1 mile turn around.  First mile was a tiny big slower than I was planning on with an 8:05 split.  My HR was a little higher than I'm used to, but I was feeling pretty good and I tried to keep the pace going.

The next mile we were spreading out and I thought I had a good pacer lined up ahead of me, but there was a group of guys ahead of him that were starting to lag and I slowed down with them.  I hung back thinking they were going at a better pace then ended up going around them somewhere in there and tried to pick the pace back up.  Made a mistake at the aid station grabbing a gatorade instead of a water (I didn't think they would have anything but water on such a short race).  I drank it and instantly regretted it.  Not a big fan of the full strength gatorade and it doesn't really sit well in my stomach.  Already looking forward to the next aid station at the turnaround to wash that nasty taste out of my mouth.  Still feeling pretty good, HR climbing a bit but hanging in there under 175.

Mile 3 was pretty uneventful.  Tried to lock in the pace and there wasn't anyone in front of me to really gauge my pace so just paid close attention to my audio cues on my phone.  HR climbing and past 175, but still feeling okay.  Starting to breath a little heavier, but not bad at all.

Mile 4 was the turnaround and got a swig of water at the aid station.  Knowing I was halfway done provided a boost and I decided to pick it up a little bit to try to get my avg pace down to 8:00.  There was a slight headwind going out and it was now at my back and that helped a little too.  HR pretty stable through here only going up 1 beat for the avg.

Mile 5 meant I was almost done. Somewhere in here I started to get consistent HR readings in the 180's.  I knew I could clock along for a while at that pace and felt like I had a pretty good rhthym going and knew I could keep this up.  Grabbed a swig of water at the aid station although I wasn't sure if I needed to or not.  Avg pace dropped under 8:00 on this mile and I really felt like I had my 50:00 goal in the bag.

Mile 6 I had a friend ahead of me a hundred yards or so that I've always thought was a good runner and I was gaining on her!  I was afraid to push much more than I already was, but I was thinking I might have a chance to catch up to her.  I picked it up a little bit, but didn't start going all out until I turned the corner with about 200 yards to go.  This is the first race that I really felt like I didn't really have much more to give at the end.  I dropped that last split by 30 seconds or so, but it just didn't feel like I had enough to sprint it in like I've done sometimes in previous races.  My wife said I wasn't picking up my knees and I looked tired.  I think I was tired!  I think part of it may have been that I saw the clock and knew that I had my 50:00 goal in the bag too.  I watched it click over to 49:00 and I was almost there! 

I ended up coming in with an official time of 49:18 for a 7:56 avg pace.  My last (and my only other) 10k was back in June and I finished it in 54:12 and really felt like I had given it everythign I had.  That's almost 5 minutes faster in 3 months!   Conditions were a little worse that day as the temperature that day was 65 degrees with 90% humidity and a 15 mph wind, but not dramatically different. 

Here's my splits and HR numbers.

Splits (GPS Interval)
                 TypeDistance Split settingsDurationTotal DurationPaceAvg HRMax HRElevation
                1 Manual 1 mi 8:04.11 8:04.11 8:05 167 177  0
                2 Manual 1 mi 8:07.01 16:11.12 8:08 172 177  -1
                3 Manual 1 mi 8:00.39 24:11.51 8:01 176 179 -7 
                4 Manual 1 mi 7:53.84 32:05.35 7:54 177 181  10
                5 Manual 1 mi 7:49.16 39:54.51 7:50 180 184  -12
                6 Manual 1 mi 7:42.2 47:36.71 7:43 183 186  2
                7 Manual 0.24 mi 1:42.29 49:19 7:07 189 193

Very happy with the end result.  I ended up taking first in the Clydesdale division after age grading by a whopping 2 seconds!  I finished almost a minute behind the guy, but I'm a little older so the age grading put me ahead of him.  That helps remind me that I need to push it in to the finish liine even if there isn't anyone to pass there at the end.

Oh well, long rambling race report, but that's me.  Really looking like all the base training this summer at MAF is really paying off.  I have a 5k coming up next month and I'm feeling pretty good about my goal time on now.  My goal was to break 24:00 and according to McMillan's calculator my equivalent time based on this race is a 23:44 5k so that sure looks doable now.

That's it from my end.  Nathan

Good report. Congrats on breaking 50:00! You paced the race perfectly. Nice job.

Doing awesome, Nathan!

Cool

Jimmy

Nice running Nathan to a 49:19 10k.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Congrats. I checked the elevation. Not a PR course.

No it was not a PR course, but I was hoping I was still fit enough to get one and after looking at the data, it was there for the taking. I went out a little fast and tried to slow down but ended up slowing too much in that first mile. Other then that I was pretty happy with the race.

The elevation that was recorded by mt Garmin is not very accurate at all, infact its pretty much useless. I have a program that takes the elevation from a more precise surface model and it shows an overall assent of 433' and decent of 400'.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

npaden

Well I didn't make my goal on my 5K this morning but I did give it my best effort.

I had a fantasy that I might make sub 23:00 based on a Tempo run I did 10 days before the race, but that sure didn't happen.

Not sure what the official time is going to be, but I went across the mat right as the clock ticked over to 24:00 so I'm not sure if it is going to be 23:59 or 24:00 on the dot.

Weather wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.  66 degrees, 74% humidity, DP 58. SSW wind at 19 mph. Went out too fast, and I didn't account for the energy it was going to take dodging all the little kids in front (a lot of high schools and jr. high runners were there). Also the 10k started 5 minutes before the 5k on the same course so I had to work my way through all the slow 10k runners. Wind was tough, plus still dealing with allergies. Lots of excuses but I just didn't have it this morning.

Forgot to stop my phone crossing the finish line as well.  I sure know what it feels like to blow up now though!  My splits were 6:55, 7:34 and 8:15!  I really wanted to walk on that 3rd mile but didn't.  :-(.

One positive thing though was that I got 1st place in the fat boy division!  Our running club is one of the few that still keeps a Clydesdale/Athena division and they age grade it.  Not sure how many runners were in my division, but the last couple years there has been 18 and 19 so I would think it was about the same today so 1st place was suprising.  I was expecting to finish somewhere in the top 3 but didn't expect 1st. 

Oh well, I did my best for what I had today. At least I didn't set the bar super high and post up a race result that will take me years to beat it! ;-)

Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Well I didn't make my goal on my 5K this morning but I did give it my best effort.

I had a fantasy that I might make sub 23:00 based on a Tempo run I did 10 days before the race, but that sure didn't happen.

Not sure what the official time is going to be, but I went across the mat right as the clock ticked over to 24:00 so I'm not sure if it is going to be 23:59 or 24:00 on the dot.

Weather wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.  66 degrees, 74% humidity, DP 58. SSW wind at 19 mph. Went out too fast, and I didn't account for the energy it was going to take dodging all the little kids in front (a lot of high schools and jr. high runners were there). Also the 10k started 5 minutes before the 5k on the same course so I had to work my way through all the slow 10k runners. Wind was tough, plus still dealing with allergies. Lots of excuses but I just didn't have it this morning.

Forgot to stop my phone crossing the finish line as well.  I sure know what it feels like to blow up now though!  My splits were 6:55, 7:34 and 8:15!  I really wanted to walk on that 3rd mile but didn't.  :-(.

One positive thing though was that I got 1st place in the fat boy division!  Our running club is one of the few that still keeps a Clydesdale/Athena division and they age grade it.  Not sure how many runners were in my division, but the last couple years there has been 18 and 19 so I would think it was about the same today so 1st place was suprising.  I was expecting to finish somewhere in the top 3 but didn't expect 1st. 

Oh well, I did my best for what I had today. At least I didn't set the bar super high and post up a race result that will take me years to beat it! ;-)

Nathan

Yes ,you went out way to fast.  A  23:00 - 5k  is a 7:25 pace. Most of us have made that  mistake. The 19 mph wind was  also no joke. The  1st mile should have been closer to 7:30 but I am sure you know that now. Congrats on the 1st !

PS: A look at not learning from past mistakes . 5k(8/2011) 1st mile down hill. 2 mile a monster uphill.

1 Interval 1 mi 6:45.91 6:45.91 6:46 155 165  
                        2 Interval 1 mi 7:43.42 14:29.33 7:44 172 179  
                        3 Interval 1 mi 6:57.42 21:26.75 6:58 173 184  
                        4 Interval 0.04 mi 0:13.71 21:40.46 5:43 185 1

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

NPADEN,

I agree with Ron. You went out at 21:30 5k pace, and perhaps somewhere in the neighborhood of your 2k pace. That's tough to recover from if the best you currently can do is 23:00-24:00.

Pacing that first mile can be tough if you don't have a system to determine pace, or don't have a feel for it. If you have a GPS, or even using Google's Pedometer, it can help you mark out the 1/4 mile marks in that first mile, so you can check your pace. If you have a GPS watch, just warm-up on the first mile of the course and get the 1/4 and 1/2 mile mark. If you don't, then get a map of the course at http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/search/ and then using Google Pedometer, see if you can determine the 1/4 and 1/2 mile marks.

If your goal is to run a 23:00 (7:24) pace,  then make sure the first 1/4 mile is aprox 1:51 or a little slower. If too fast, readjust by the 1/2 mile, which should be 3:12 or slower.

Best to have a pace plan going in. Especially for the first mile.

Took the liberty of popping in your recent 49:18  10k time into the McMillan Calculator and it gave you a possible 23:44 or 7:38 pace for a 5k. You were about 15 seconds slower than that mark. Perhaps you could have gotten closer to 23:00 than 23:44, but not sure breaking it was in your wheelhouse just yet. That calculator tends to be pretty darn close on the shorter races. A good way to use the Mcmillan Calculator to help with pace, is to take the pace it gives you based on the last race, then build a pace plan for the first few miles of the 5k based on it. If you can indeed go faster, you'll have it left for the last 1.2 miles.

If you already do all this, then never mind! Cool

--Jimmy

npaden

Yeah, I know I went out too fast, but at least now I know I'm not capable of a sub 22:00 5K at my current fitness level!

I had a workout 10 days before this race that told me I could do a 23:00 5K, but I blew it with the pacing.  I had my phone telling me I was going way too fast, but I felt good for that first mile and even through about a mile and a half before I started really hurting and slowing down.  I had someone say that they thought I might be able to go sub 22:00 so I decided to see if I could and that's where that crazy first mile came from.  I didn't realize it would affect my overall race that much though.

I'm thinking of running another 5K in two weeks and shooting for 23:00 on this one and pacing myself correctly and seeing if I can pull it off. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Yeah, I know I went out too fast, but at least now I know I'm not capable of a sub 22:00 5K at my current fitness level!

I had a workout 10 days before this race that told me I could do a 23:00 5K, but I blew it with the pacing.  I had my phone telling me I was going way too fast, but I felt good for that first mile and even through about a mile and a half before I started really hurting and slowing down.  I had someone say that they thought I might be able to go sub 22:00 so I decided to see if I could and that's where that crazy first mile came from.  I didn't realize it would affect my overall race that much though.

I'm thinking of running another 5K in two weeks and shooting for 23:00 on this one and pacing myself correctly and seeing if I can pull it off. 

I general beat the MC calculate. The RA calculator has general been within :05. I was some what over the top. I took the MC, RA and Oregon pace calculators combined the 3 and split the difference. 4 out  6 times I beat the prediction. The last time I needed 3:45 for the marathon. The prediction was  around 3:34:00 or something.The goal was 3:40. Finished in 3:37:38.

Looking at your 1st two miles  <23:30 seems doable.

Take Jimmy's advice. I did. The ATC timing system had a hiccup but here is the Garmin results. Goal <22:00 on a fast course.Wind 8 - 20 mph.

TypeDistance Split settingsDurationTotal DurationPaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
                              1 Interval 1 mi 7:06.14 7:06.14 7:07 170 182  
                              2 Interval 1 mi 7:15.32 14:21.46 7:16 178 182  
                              3 Interval 1 mi 6:50.37 21:11.83 6:51 184 190  
                              4 Interval 0.18 mi 2:09.87 23:21.70 12:02 178 191

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

npaden

I posted this in my thread in the running 101 forum on my race training plans, but I thought I would cross post it here since you guys know as much about my training over the summer as anyone.

Okay.  I guess my workout today confirms that I should be able to run close to a 23:00 5K and I just ran a bad race and I think the antihistamines didn't help things either.

Workout today was supposed to be a 1 mile warmup then 4 miles of an increasing pace Tempo with splits of 8:15, 8:05, 7:55 and 7:45 then a one mile cooldown.

Warm and sunny. 80 degrees, 20% humidity, wind NE at 9 mph.

I bought a new HRM today and it wasn't working at the start so I had to stop and re-pair it after the first mile warmup so that doesn't show on the splits, but it was a 1 mile warmup at a 9:38 pace.  I got the HRM working very quickly and changed the workout to just start with the Tempo portion right off the bat.  When I was running them I felt like I got close, but was a little fast on the first couple miles. Tied my shoe on mile 2, but still made my split. Last mile was tough to make the 7:45, but I thought I did.  The way my phone works it tells me my split pace at .25 mile increments as I go through that interval, but when it gets to the mile mark it tells me to start the next interval but doesn't give me the final split for the one I just ran so I just try to run the same pace for the last .25 miles of the interval that I do for the first .75 miles.  I guess I must speed up a little on the last .25 miles though because my final splits all came in faster than I was expecting.

Here's my splits.

Splits (GPS Interval)
                                 TypeDistance Split settingsDurationTotal DurationPaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
                                1 Manual 1 mi 8:01.72 8:01.72 8:02 154 164  
                                2 Manual 1 mi 7:48.77 15:50.49 7:49 169 176  
                                3 Manual 1 mi 7:37.77 23:28.26 7:38 176 182  
                                4 Manual 1 mi 7:33.5 31:01.76 7:34 183 187  
                                5 Manual 1 mi 9:48.59 40:50.35 9:49 162 187  
                                6 Manual 0.23 mi 2:10.64 43:00.99 9:28 167 171

Those last 3 miles of the Tempo would have put me in at 30 seconds slower than the first 3 miles that I ran in my race Saturday, and that was after I had already run an 8 minute mile on the first part of the Tempo.  And I was feeling WAY better at the end of those 3 miles than I was at the end of the first 3 miles of my race!  This was 80 degrees and sunny vs. 66 degrees during the race.  I was working for that last mile, but no where near the effort I was putting in during the race.  My max HR is 194 so I was getting close there at the end of mile 4, but I didn't get into the 180's until right at the end of the 3rd mile of the Tempo.

Oh well.  I pushed this a little faster than I should of, but I really wasn't trying to those first couple miles.  I felt really good through the first 3 and just started getting a little uncomfortable on the 4th mile, not feeling like I wanted to walk or anything like that.  I couldn't have kept that pace for another mile, but I could have kept it up for another 1/2 mile probably, maybe a little more.

I really think I have the sub 23:00 in me, the only thing that I'm not taking into account is that my GPS is showing a little over the actual mileage so my avg pace is probably a little off.  On a race with a lot of turns like the one on Saturday it is even more pronounced.  I think the race I'm going to run next will be a fairly straight out and back so hopefully my GPS will match up pretty close to the actual distance.

Oh well.  Long run on Saturday probably isn't going to help my 5K the next Saturday, but i need to get it in for my Half Marathon coming up, but I don't think it will affect me too much.  Not sure if I should skip any speedwork the week of the race and stick to all easy runs or if I can get some speedwork in on the Tuesday before the race on Saturday.

Any thoughts?  Thanks, Nathan

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)