Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

BeeRunB

Darkside 8HR 39 miles

Enough already! Big grin

I think you've raced more miles this year than I've trained.

WTG, Ron.

Amazing, man.

Keep going.

--JimmyCool

Darkside 8HR 39 miles

Well done !!

So on an 8hr run, how sore do your legs get??

By 6 hours, are you in agony, or is it something you build to/get used to?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Well done !!

So on an 8hr run, how sore do your legs get??

By 6 hours, are you in agony, or is it something you build to/get used to?

No real hills. Quads  were a little sore on Sunday. Fine today.

50 laps --4 hours

Changed directions

43 laps-- 4 hours

4 mile HR 128 / 142

1 mile C /D

Surprised  at how well a feel.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Ironman Nice June 24th, 2012

My GF called me about 5 mins before my alarm, just over 3 hours before race - 3:20am. I had slept surprisingly well. Breakfast of bread, honey, coffee, a little fruit and a teeny bit of cereal/milk. Walked the 1 mile to the start area with wetsuit and swim gear, and made a final check of the bike (always a worry but no burst tubes or anything). Got into the water 15 mins before the start just to get the wetsuit sitting properly and turn the arms over. As the sirem went I avoided the mad panic by staying towards the bad and easing myself in for a nice relaxing swim. I had heard so much about Nice and the crazy swim start and how there is no room for most of the race. It wasnt like that for me at all - I was swimming for 5 minutes before I even touched anyone. Came out after the 3.8k in 1:15 feeling warmed up but not tired at all.

I had a plan to go very easy on the bike. This was my first Ironman, and there were over 2000 meters of climbing, not to mention a Marathon afterwards in 30+ degrees Celcius and no shade, so I wanted to be conservative. A cray amount of people passed me in the first hour. I was seriously starting to doubt my plan, but I stuck to it. Eventually I started passing a handful, than more than were passing, and by the end I had caught most of those that passed. I possibly could have pushed a tad harder on the hills. Time for the Bike was 6:37.

Started the run like the bike - nice and slow. I did avail of the nice cooling showers on the course, but this was a double edged sword - I had to stop twice to wring out my soaking socks in the rirst 10k (I stopped caring after that!) The run was 4 laps of Nice promenade. Hot hot hot. No shade at all. No real breeze. Lots of great encouragement from random spectators. But by lap 4, you realise why people don't like a 4 lap course format. It's really very tough mentally My plan was always to walk every aid station, and I started at the first even though it was within 1 k. I took in a couple of gels early on, as well as some banana. Later I just did water, some coke and some Powerade. I think this worked well. I was able to run the whole course (all be it at a slightly slowing pace). I had read in a few places that you should expect at least two bad periods in an Ironman - usually on the run. At about 18k I had my first - nothing serious, just felt a bit off - slowed very slightly for a k, and felt ok again.

At about 32k I felt pretty tired - I was starting to run out of gas slowly but surely, but the finish was close so I just dug in and kept going.

Very pleased with the run, as I'm often being overtaken by lots of people, and although my time of 4:21 may not be the fastest I still passed about 300. It's a case of slowing down less! And all those runs at MAF pace and below were proving invaluable. Crossing the finish line was a huge relief. Overall time was 12:27 - which is pretty much my ideal scenario time.

Felt fine till I sat down - then the sun and the noise and the oncoming nausea got to me and I had to dive to the floor, where I actually felt fine lying on my back. Nice girl gave me a foil blanket too. Managed to drag myself to Massage table after 45 mins, more resting and a lovely gentle massage, which left me well enough to pick up my bike and gear and head back to the hotel.

So that's it - my first Ironman and I'm extremely pleased. Felt like I had a good plan and stuck to it, everything came together pretty well, and I'm already recovering surprisingly quickly.

I was hoping to see some uploaded data, oh well. Congrats on the Ironman.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

Congratulations, Sean! Amazing accomplishment. And GREAT report. 

Recover well.

---JimmyCool

I was hoping to see some uploaded data, oh well. Congrats on the Ironman.

Hi BT,

Here is the run

I hit lap after (almost) every aid station but i did mess up once or twice. Also didn't hit stop right away.

and  the bike

For some reason my Edge turned itself off on the bike so it registered a bit shorter, also I didnt hit stop at the end - I manually changed the time to the race time.

labhiker

Great job Sean!  Way to go! 

labhiker

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

WOW! Great job. Congrats!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Earned my second Peachtree Road Race 10k t-shirt today. I haven't raced since last spring, and was not ready to do so today, but I had signed up already and decided to walk the entire race. I always like to finish a race as fast as possible---these days I'm walking faster then I can run at the same HR. I wanted to keep my heart rate reasonably low since I am in the middle of a base period and rebuild as a runner. So, I went with walking, figuring my HR would only get so high. It ended up being a good and fun choice.

SPLITSAHOL:

76°F

82% humidity

14:34  120

13:42  125 (downhill)

13:38  127 (downhill)

14:55  137 (uphill)

14:19 139 (uphill)

13:25  150   (4.5 mph!)

04:10 156   (4.6 mph!)

1:28:40

pace 14:15

Garmin mileage: 6.35 (had to keep right the whole race---no tangents)

Garmin pace 14:03

Overall Place 42319 / 57754

Gender Place 23514 / 29098

Division Place 2481 / 3063

I had a great time. Even though I walked, I still felt like I was racing. I tried to pass as many walkers as I could, and eventually saw only a couple in the last half mile or so--I was in a sea of runners. The last mile goes through midtown, and for some reason, the crowds there really energized and excited me. I decided to push hard and walked my fastest.  Walking also afforded me a little extra time to experience all the sights and sounds of the race, which there were many. There were great bands, bible readers, costumes, kids doing funny things, politics, etc. Learned that if I could only walk races the rest of my life, I could still enjoy it. It's still competitive with others and the self. Plus, if I ever get into ultramarathons, walking ability can come in handy.

Have a happy 4th!

--JimmyCool

npaden

Ran a 10 miler this morning.  The Firecracker Run.

77 degrees, 53% humidity at the start and 81 degrees, 50% humidity at the finish for me.  Winds started at 12 mph and ended up at 15 mph with 24 mph gusts.

Plenty warm and windy for this fat boy.

Started out too fast, it felt good, but at the 1/2 mile mark my phone told me my time at 4:08 for an 8:16 pace that was about 45 seconds faster than my goal pace.  My HRM was stuck at 103 as well so I pulled my ANT+ sensor out of the phone and stuck it back in and moved my strap around a bit and got it working again and it jumped up to 169 so that confirmed pretty quickly that I was going too fast.  I slowed it down and got my pace sorted out and locked in for miles ahead.  I ended up with an 8:40 split for Mile 1, my HR was still hanging right around 170.  Mile 2 was a nice pace and not dead into the wind so i ended up with a 9:04 split and my HR had dropped slightly to 168.  Mile 3 turned into the wind and slowed me down.  The only true hills on the course was an down and up on mile 3 as well.  Mile 3 split was 9:32, HR climbed to 177 as I got to the top of the small hill right at the 3 mile mark.  Next 2 miles were more of the same, dead into the wind that was picking up and slightly uphill.  Mile 4 split was 9:45 with HR down to 175, Mile 5 split was 9:42 with HR at 180. 

Mile 5 was the turnaround and a welcome relief from the steady dose of running into the wind.  My paces picked pack up with a split of 9:00 for mile 6, 9:05 for mile 7, 9:02 for mile 8, and 9:06 for mile 9.  My HR was hanging right around 180.   At each water stop I was dumping 1 cup of water on my head, drinking 1/2 of another cup of water and then dumping the rest of it on my head.  This was working fairly well to help cool me, but my core temp was for still working to stabilize itself. 

The last mile had some little hills and turned back into the wind and I ended up bumping up to a 9:09 pace for mile 10.  My GPS showed another .13 miles to the finish at a 8:15 pace where I pushed it in to the finish line.

Final numbers per my GPS were 10.13 mile in 1:33:08 for a 9:12 avg pace.  Offical time was 1:32:59 for 10 miles for a 9:18 pace.

That put me in 28th place out of 60 runners in the 10 mile race.  Pretty close to what I usually finish in these smaller club races.  I took 2nd out of 4 "Clydesdale" division folks which lets me get a fancy medal on most of these runs.

My 5 year old son ran the 1 mile race as well so we ended up with a picture together at the end of the morning.

Overall it was a good run.  Not my fastest for sure, but considering the warm temperatures I was happy with it.

That's my race report.  Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

BeeRunB

Great report and pic, Nathan! That's a hot race and I'm sure there wasn't much shade. Nice finishing place.

Did you run by HR, or were you just seeing where it went as you ran by pace?

Keep going!

--Jimmy

npaden

Great report and pic, Nathan! That's a hot race and I'm sure there wasn't much shade. Nice finishing place.

Did you run by HR, or were you just seeing where it went as you ran by pace?

Keep going!

--Jimmy

Thanks.  There wasn't much shade and the sun was pretty intense the last half hour or so. 

I've only been running about a year now so I'm still figuring out race pace.  My max HR is 194 and it seems like if I can keep my HR between 170 to 175 (90% of max) I can go for quite a while.  Once I go over 175 my miles are limited and once I get to 180 I can only get 5 or 6 miles unless I slow down.

My MAF is 136 so that gives me about 40 beats of buffer to play with that I can keep up for an extended period of time at my current conditioning, but it is a pretty narrow range where 175 is okay but 180 is pushing it.  I've gone 7ish miles at 180 before, but it wasn't what I would consider enjoyable by any means.  175 really doesn't seem bad, I can even carry on a conversation with a few breaks here and there between talking.  That seems to be my thresholds anyway.

On this run I pushed it to 180 right at the end of mile 5 and held it there or higher most of the way back.  With about 1/2 mile left I pushed it up and ended up finishing at a HR of 193.

Suprisingly my recovery run this morning went great.  11:11 pace at 132 avg HR which is a few beats lower than what I would have expected for that pace.  It was pretty decent temp this morning and that helped for sure  (69 with 68% humidity for  a 58 DP), but I'm not feeling like these monthly races are blowing my base up or anything.  If anything, anectodally they seem to actually help it a little.

The way the calendar falls, it will be at least a month until my next race if I do it and it is only a 5 miler so that shouldn't be a big setback at all.  I'm not really trying to peak for anything, just doing my MAF base building and running a local club race here and there.  There is a tough half marathon in November that I will probably run, but not sure if I will be shooting for any special time or anything, it has a ton of elevation and the weather could be brutal so I'm not going to set any kind of targets until I'm a lot closer to race day on that one. 

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

14:34  120

13:42  125 (downhill)

13:38  127 (downhill)

14:55  137 (uphill)

14:19 139 (uphill)

13:25  150   (4.5 mph!)

04:10 156   (4.6 mph!)

1:28:40

pace 14:15

--JimmyCool

Nice walk speed again - yeah I reckon for Ultra's it's good training - and it sounds like you it was a fun and interesting race without messing up your training. 

Impressed that you can walk fast enough to get your HR up to 156!