Low HR Training

Tapering for Marathon (Read 488 times)

BeeRunB

I'm with Jimmy (mostly). So...there really isn't anything to compare against. Nothing against you, of course Jesse, but I just feel like what you do and the results aren't something that the vast majority of people would find beneficial in order to run their best marathon. I would also be shocked if you didn't set a large PR for a marathon if you trained exclusively for it for 3 or 4 months, including speedwork.
    Jesse wouldn't do any better, he already does what works for him AND he's set large PR's. Don't forget he races a lot and gets his occasional share of higher end aerobic work. Take him at his word on this one. If you look back to Bill Rodgers and some of his stunning best years, he wasn't tapering much, if at all. Joan Benoit, same. Tapering is an "all depends" choice based on self-knowledge. --Jimmy P.S. You're with me? I don't see you. You're scaring me--please don't stalk me.
      Jesse wouldn't do any better, he already does what works for him AND he's set large PR's. Don't forget he races a lot and gets his occasional share of higher end aerobic work. Take him at his word on this one. If you look back to Bill Rodgers and some of his stunning best years, he wasn't tapering much, if at all. Joan Benoit, same. Tapering is an "all depends" choice based on self-knowledge. --Jimmy P.S. You're with me? I don't see you. You're scaring me--please don't stalk me.
      Hehe. I'm with you regarding tapering. We can't say Jesse wouldn't do any better. Running races isn't the same as marathon specific training. Tempo runs are designed for a specific duration at a certain pace for a reason, after all. Anyway...whatever. Smile Very few runners during that era tapered. Salazar ran 100+ miles the week after Boston. Of course, he burned himself out at a pretty young age, but that's another topic altogether. Big grin

run-easy-race-hard

yeah, the only basis of comparison I have for myself is when I used to do the standard 16 week marathon training programs with tempos and speedwork, and I would run 4 hr marathons. Of course that was before low HR training. I think if you do exclusively low HR training like I do, you will not see benefit from a significant taper and you may actually see some degradation.
          And Gebrsellasie breaks the world record after taking a week off during the "taper" period due to a calf injury.
          BeeRunB

Wow, I think I'll injure my calf.
            lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Watching Haile injures my ego. lg
              ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
              Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
              ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
              Shiksa

Wow, I think I'll injure my calf.
                Get just a wee bit closer and I'll pull a Tonya Harding on your calf.

Stacy
                I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

Future running partner.

And Gebrsellasie breaks the world record after taking a week off during the "taper" period due to a calf injury.
                  I've heard a number of stories of World class people running awesome after injuries. I think those guys/gals can truly overtrain to the point where an extended period of time off from running can actually allow them to grow faster.