Low HR Training

Barefoot running!!?? (Read 1008 times)

Shondek

I popped into tkmax looking for a wok and came out with a pair of  Jamaica colours Puma  fashion shoes.They were £20 reduced from £50 I tried them on without the insoles,went backed to my seat and the insoles had vanished!!Ah well thats Glasgow for you.TKM took another £5 off 'cause they had no insoles!!!!???Cool..Perfect..

Ran in the this morning for  an hour and they were amazing..closest I'll get to barefoot running on tarmac,turns out they are Puma H-streets and  highly regarded by the Pose community..proceed to buy another pair online for £25 as they were discontinued in 2008.I'd only feel confidence using these shoes maf and under or racing, and speed work I guess so I suppose that's all the time. 

Has anyone here gone down this barefoot type running tip and if so did you start  gradually or full steam ahead  as I've heard you need build up slowly.?.cant see why tho!!Legs felt fine 

Shondek

It was a 4am 2 hour session this morning in the freezing wind and rain with huge puddles everywhere and it felt I was running in a pair of wet socks I had just taken out of  the freezer.I must admit it felt pretty brutal.

Towards the end my shoe lace kept undoing and I had to keep bending down to tie them,failing miserably with my freezing hands.I noticed my legs didnt feel stiff or sore..Great shoes by a mile

Shondek

...and I manged 3 10 minute something mile pace..Im on the table!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shondek

Woke up this morning to prep my 1 hour run and i could feel my left instep quite sore and weak a bit like plantar fasciitis ,this is my dodgy ankle with no injury at present but my right one has posterior tibialis tendonitis and healing very quickly since 2 week test  ...hmm maybe 2 hours was too much yesterday.I can feel a slight pain at the start of the run and I think 'back to normal shoes tomorrow.'

I reach  what was the 30 minute mark at the end of November in 25minutes and at this point feet feel fine and feeling very comfortable.,then just jog the rest at maf-10.

I walk the kids to school in my 'comfortable' skechers but this time they felt a bit awkward and not so great ,got home and changed into the Pumas and they  felt much more like it ..By the time I got to my business another pair had just been delivered Smile...the last ones my size anywhere..the pair should last me 3 years each by all accounts.

Shondek

Out with my new Pumas (one size bigger)  and it was the 3 hour hill trail run in ankle deep mud..Smile

This run usually fatigues the the legs more than the heart  even when done slowly,tho has improved since doing proper warm down .In the Pumas again no issues except over sharp stones..dont plan in doing any pebble beach running..legs felt fine,ankles are a wee bit funny but that has disappeared .

As I got out the car I was bracing myself  with the usual ooohhyaaaaah but the ooohhyaaaah never came absolutely no stiffness at all..

A major leap forward!!!!

Tomorrow is the question

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

>snip<

A major leap forward!!!!

Tomorrow is the question

Awesome! Great news! keep it up!

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Shondek

Awesome! Great news! keep it up!

Thanks Bobev..this is new territory for me...

This morning left ankle feeling slightly sore.The right ankle which has been a problem since easter this year feels strong its almost as if the pain has transferred over to the left,although my left one showed up on camera in Autumn as the one needing support although then there was no issue with it.

After run it is still sore and walking to work I could feel it..not good.

Reading in pose forums I hear people have giving themselves all sorts of debilitating injuries  doing barefoot, sock running etc ..and I've just got rid of an injury.

Not sure what to do,was originally thinking about getting advice from the BF crew,but what can they tell me that Uncle P hasnt already covered.

So if its still sore tomorrow morning my range is going from 115-125 to 105-115 until the pain goes away

Shondek

Woke up to a stiff left ankle;more sore than previous day so decided to leave out the run.

As I was walking the kids to school I decided to take the garmin and  count the walk as my warm up and jog at 105-115 as I did my morning errands.There's something quite comforting jogging in a Harris Tweed sports jacket,maybe as it's known as a sports jacketSmile

Anyway ankle felt ok ..not great what is it they say !?......Rest a muscle train a tendon..we'll see.

What I did enjoy were the new lock laces I bought yesterday which helped make my shoes feel not too tight and the bungee type laces made the shoes feel even more flexible(old laces kept undoing )..I highly recommend them.

Although left ankle feels like the problem i had with my right I can still stand on my tip toes which means it's not posterior tibial dysfunction...Yet!!

So looks like more maf-20 running for the foreseeable future...dont know if this action will make my ankle worse or stronger...I do know I dont want to go back to huge platform running shoes  

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

+1 on not returning to huge platform shoes! Being retired I go barefoot of sock footed as much as possible and wear flat, zero/near zero heel drop Tom's & Croc's instead of "normal" shoes. I started wearing Tom's shoes about 2 1/2 years ago and it hurt like heck when I first wore them, almost returned them until I realized it was because my foot was working more "normally" by being more natural. So I wore them even more to strengthen my feet. I even ran 3+ mi in them once and they felt great. Didn't think they could tolerate being turned into running shoes very well so didn't repeat. Did put slit in toe box in pair of old Crocs and used them during transition to minimal shoes & BF.

Many folks, including myself, fall into TMTS with transition to BF. I'm not familiar with the pose method so can't comment. Basically I think the BF forum folks (I'm one) would suggest more walking BF, slow jogging and building mileage gradually. The past year it took me 3+ months to extend my asphalt road running from 1 mi to 6. I could do 3+mi on concrete when I started. 

The mistake I made last year was running everyday in VFF Bikila's and Sprints in a hilly neighborhood, then challenging a hilly half while in the Bikila's before I had my form completely migrated from heel striking. Didn't realize I was still (slightly) heel striking in the Bikila's. After the race right achilles and both calves ached. A lot of easy running, locating more level ground, and transition to full BF a couple of times/week, and adding cross training days with slow walks cleared things up. Being stubborn took me longer than it should have to figure it out. I kept aggravating my calves by running every day (my original retirement goal, major reason for retiring! LOL) and ignoring the ache when going to bed at night... thick headed! I finally listened and now, while I walk on cross training days at what would be maf-30 to maf-20, I don't jog/run 7x/week anymore. 

Wow, wordy bastard ain't I? Well to wrap up, backing off a bit and being sure its healed is probably the best advice. Then increase mileage and pace gradually while listening closely to your body to see how it responds. For instance, when I was training feet to handle asphalt they would be sensitive for a couple of days afterward. Now I could probably run 3 or 4 mi on concrete or asphalt everyday with no problem - if the temps are ok. Still haven't had enough colder weather long enough to find what the temp cut off is going to be for BF. At least for me!

Lastly - here's a shot of me at this years Thundercloud Subs Turkey Trot - I put at least 6mi on the feet that day, 5mi race and at least 1 mi walking around and from parking garage to starting line! 

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Shondek

+1 on not returning to huge platform shoes! Being retired I go barefoot of sock footed as much as possible and wear flat, zero/near zero heel drop Tom's & Croc's instead of "normal" shoes. I started wearing Tom's shoes about 2 1/2 years ago and it hurt like heck when I first wore them, almost returned them until I realized it was because my foot was working more "normally" by being more natural. So I wore them even more to strengthen my feet. I even ran 3+ mi in them once and they felt great. Didn't think they could tolerate being turned into running shoes very well so didn't repeat. Did put slit in toe box in pair of old Crocs and used them during transition to minimal shoes & BF.

Many folks, including myself, fall into TMTS with transition to BF. I'm not familiar with the pose method so can't comment. Basically I think the BF forum folks (I'm one) would suggest more walking BF, slow jogging and building mileage gradually. The past year it took me 3+ months to extend my asphalt road running from 1 mi to 6. I could do 3+mi on concrete when I started. 

The mistake I made last year was running everyday in VFF Bikila's and Sprints in a hilly neighborhood, then challenging a hilly half while in the Bikila's before I had my form completely migrated from heel striking. Didn't realize I was still (slightly) heel striking in the Bikila's. After the race right achilles and both calves ached. A lot of easy running, locating more level ground, and transition to full BF a couple of times/week, and adding cross training days with slow walks cleared things up. Being stubborn took me longer than it should have to figure it out. I kept aggravating my calves by running every day (my original retirement goal, major reason for retiring! LOL) and ignoring the ache when going to bed at night... thick headed! I finally listened and now, while I walk on cross training days at what would be maf-30 to maf-20, I don't jog/run 7x/week anymore. 

Wow, wordy bastard ain't I? Well to wrap up, backing off a bit and being sure its healed is probably the best advice. Then increase mileage and pace gradually while listening closely to your body to see how it responds. For instance, when I was training feet to handle asphalt they would be sensitive for a couple of days afterward. Now I could probably run 3 or 4 mi on concrete or asphalt everyday with no problem - if the temps are ok. Still haven't had enough colder weather long enough to find what the temp cut off is going to be for BF. At least for me!

Lastly - here's a shot of me at this years Thundercloud Subs Turkey Trot - I put at least 6mi on the feet that day, 5mi race and at least 1 mi walking around and from parking garage to starting line! 

Thanks for that Bob great advice and greAT image those feet look as if they could tell a few interesting tales.

I think the fact that I am an early morning runner my tendon will be a lot tighter having hardly moved it all night ,whereas home from work having been walking and standing all day an evening run wouldn't feel so daunting.So I feel duty bound to at least get my gear on and walk as a warm up then see how things fair.

Everything above ankles feel great  so I feel I have to see this through even tho it could slow my progress.Will try the pose method in the morning

Shondek

Again woke up to really sore ankles so again it was a brisk walk to school and slow jog home about 1.8 miles...starting to think about getting back into my platforms..maybe get some flared jogging pants too ..

This afternoon ankles feel fine so might go out a run tonight!!??

Shondek

Didnt go out a run tonight as my anlkes feel as if they are on fire!!

Shondek

Managed 1.5hrs in the snow this morning ..winter wonderland!!.....ankles cooled down a bit 

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Thought I'd mention here that I started using socks after reading "Plain Old Socks Saved the Day" in the Vibrams section of BF Ken Bob's book. Quoting Michae Legault "you've truly arrived ... when you can run in the same old pair of socks forever", meaning that you have the right light gentle landing form. It took Michae 18 months to achieve that goal.

It being cold this morning, low 40's with light wind, and wanting to hit the gravel trail again, I decided to try it with socks. Did 3.8 mi total (see slow twitch thread for details) and had a hole in heel of the right sock (I think - forgot the order I took them off...sigh). The other was dirty but looked fine. So it looks like I am landing lightly on one foot and not the other. Need to work on that. But not a bad feeling. I took the socks off for the last 1/4 mi home to see how cold the ground felt and it was cold enough that I probably would have had trouble with the gravel.

bob e v

kfmfe04

After trying BF running on a school track a couple of times, I was hooked!

My feet automagically turned from heel to toe-strike - no more pounding the pavement.  At the time, I was jogging at night so the temperature of the surface was fine.  But on one fine hot day, I got some bad blisters from the heat off the track (thinking back, pushing off with the balls of my feet didn't help either - need to correct form); any kind of injury which takes away from accumulating volume is not good.

Since my intention is to train for a marathon, I decided to back off a bit and do some more research - BF is the best, but I need a better way to transition to pure BF.  There are a ton of options out there from VFFs to minimal footwear (Nike Frees, NB Minimis, Saucony Hattori) to huaraches (invisibleshoes, Luna, unshoes).

I finally decided on trying out the unshoes Pah Tempe - they use the same Vibram rubber used in VFFs so durability and flexibility are to be expected.  I should get my pair in about 6 weeks or so.  Meanwhile, I'll be stuck doing my MAF training with a pair of NBs until my huaraches are in.

Age:42, MAF:138, 168cm/5'6", 62.2kg/137lb (from 73kg/161lb), BF: 14.9%

Goals:  MAF10k@56:50, 59kg/130lb (32 days to go)

Stage: Trying to get back to MAF Base Building after muscle strain injury

My Training Log