Low HR Training

11 weeks of MAF training, then HM? (Read 65 times)

artellan

Hi, I just discovered MAF training through the Endurance Planet podcast (Ben Greenfield). (they kept saying 'maf' so I figured I had to look it up, had to listen closely to make sure it wasn't 'mab' or 'mat'!) I found some good online resource saying how to calculate MAF, and started MAF training April 2.

My goal half-marathon race is June 16, that will be 11 weeks since starting MAF training. Do you think that's enough time? Should I plan to insert some anaerobic work around weeks 8-10? Or maybe base it on my MAF test progress?

I also might do another half-marathon race on May 17, so around week 7. (This was an invitation from friends to run a race in another city, so feels kind of wrong to back out at this point.) I guess that could be the 'start' of my anaerobic work, but I still think that it may be too early so I might have to force myself to just run it easy. Maybe that decision should also be based on my MAF test progress? (I could even wear my HR monitor and see how fast I can finish while staying close to MAF?)

Some stats:
    - age 37, MAF 143 (180-age, no adjustments - didn't fit into any of the minus/plus categories for MAF calc)
    - MAF test on treadmill last week, 3 miles in approx 7:27, 7:35, 7:47
    - MAF training runs outside are usually around 8 - 8:30 pace, depending on terrain

- mileage: around 15 miles per week over the winter, my first MAF week was 22 miles

artellan

Here's some more background on my intro to MAF, for interest's sake...

I also grabbed Maffetone's 'The Big Book of Endurance Training & Racing' from the library and absolutely love it. It's funny I had seen that book before but figured it was against my paleo/primal slant. But reading it was like an epiphany -- finally a book on endurance training that considers real health and "move frequently at a slow pace" (a la Mark's Daily Apple marksdailyapple.com).

Unlike some others that have posted, I'm actually finding the slower MAF pace very enjoyable. It seems much easier to build mileage compared to my previous training paces. Best of all, running is more enjoyable because I can pay more attention to my surroundings, enjoy the views, and even think more coherently about various things.

I actually think I had pretty good aerobic base last summer/fall, but it deteriorated over the winter with a) less overall mileage and b) too much faster treadmill running. My muscles were sore all the time, especially calves, and I often felt really 'beat' for 2-3 days after hard workouts. Still, I don't think my aerobic system was totally trashed, as my MAF test last week (see above) was still pretty good.

Thanks

Mike aka artellan

My goal half-marathon race is June 16, that will be 11 weeks since starting MAF training. Do you think that's enough time? Should I plan to insert some anaerobic work around weeks 8-10? Or maybe base it on my MAF test progress?

I also might do another half-marathon race on May 17, so around week 7. (This was an invitation from friends to run a race in another city, so feels kind of wrong to back out at this point.) I guess that could be the 'start' of my anaerobic work, but I still think that it may be too early so I might have to force myself to just run it easy. Maybe that decision should also be based on my MAF test progress? (I could even wear my HR monitor and see how fast I can finish while staying close to MAF?)

Some stats:
        - age 37, MAF 143 (180-age, no adjustments - didn't fit into any of the minus/plus categories for MAF calc)
        - MAF test on treadmill last week, 3 miles in approx 7:27, 7:35, 7:47
        - MAF training runs outside are usually around 8 - 8:30 pace, depending on terrain

- mileage: around 15 miles per week over the winter, my first MAF week was 22 miles

6 weeks MAF as a first go is okay for a minimum and then 7th week that first HM race ok, but I don't think you want to run it at MAF HR... unless you have a LOT of self-control lol. if you want speedwork, you'd want 4 weeks of that as a minimum, so after the HM it could work out switching into anaerobic phase this way. later when there is more time for base building, you can do 3 months of it before switching to anaerobic phase again. anyway all this is just a suggestion. one more note, 22 miles sounds a bit low for MAF'ing, try to increase that gradually. cut back a bit for the speedwork period. oh and your MAF pace is really cool! Cool

artellan

Thanks for the advice cmon2, just what I was looking for!

Yeah I realized while running into work today that MAF pace would just feel too slow in a race. So I think using that as the start of my anaerobic period will be good (though probably will be sore after it, so will make sure to fully recover afterwards).

Agreed on the base building period after the goal HM in June. Also totally agree on the mileage being low, I'm ramping up mileage each week (now that I can run outdoors again - snow is finally almost melted). It's part of the reason I was so excited about MAF training, as it seems like a good way to prevent injury while building mileage. Do you have any recommendations on limits for increasing mileage? I'm thinking that I can do something like 22 / 27 / 32 / 32 for the first four weeks, always paying attention to my body of course. (e.g. didn't run this thursday as I felt tired and my waking HR was about 5 beats high) Or should I go more by time instead of distance as Dr. Maffetone suggests?

Thanks for the comment on my MAF pace, I think it's partially inflated because I got so 'good' at treadmill running over the winter, and was wearing Vibrams. Outdoors in my training shoes (Saucony Kinvara) I'm usually around 8:30 or even 9:00 min/mile pace, when running at MAF or just below.

Thanks for the advice cmon2, just what I was looking for!

Yeah I realized while running into work today that MAF pace would just feel too slow in a race. So I think using that as the start of my anaerobic period will be good (though probably will be sore after it, so will make sure to fully recover afterwards).

Agreed on the base building period after the goal HM in June. Also totally agree on the mileage being low, I'm ramping up mileage each week (now that I can run outdoors again - snow is finally almost melted). It's part of the reason I was so excited about MAF training, as it seems like a good way to prevent injury while building mileage. Do you have any recommendations on limits for increasing mileage? I'm thinking that I can do something like 22 / 27 / 32 / 32 for the first four weeks, always paying attention to my body of course. (e.g. didn't run this thursday as I felt tired and my waking HR was about 5 beats high) Or should I go more by time instead of distance as Dr. Maffetone suggests?

Thanks for the comment on my MAF pace, I think it's partially inflated because I got so 'good' at treadmill running over the winter, and was wearing Vibrams. Outdoors in my training shoes (Saucony Kinvara) I'm usually around 8:30 or even 9:00 min/mile pace, when running at MAF or just below.

glad if I could help. Smile

usually they say 10% increase at most for a week but not every week either, maybe once a month. or, alternative advice, increase by as many miles as the number of workouts you had in the previous week.

just pay attention to your body / legs. Smile