Low HR Training

taking resting hr (Read 36 times)

I'm intrigued by the idea of tracking my resting heart rate as an indicator of recovery.  For anyone doing this, how do you take your hr - manually? with your heart rate monitor? with a smartphone app?

I like the ease of a smart phone app but wonder how accurate they are.  I've tried Azumio's Instant Heart Rate but it doesn't match a reading from my hrm very well.

Patty

2014 - hmm, what next?

Since I would feel dorky wearing my HRM to bed (and my wife would make fun of me terribly!), I just put my finger on my wrist while I'm laying in bed in the morning and wait for my digital alarm clock to change to the next minute, then count the beats until it changes to the next minute again.  Works for me and it is surprisingly consistent from day to day.

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

jimmyb

port-a-bella-potty

I hired a team:

--massage therapist

--hypnotist

--James Earl Jones to read me a soothing story

--aroma therapist (my farts are a bit tense)

--wrist pulse taker

--back-up wrist pulse taker

--neck pulse taker

--alternate neck pulse taker

--the ghost of Perry Como singing "Moon RIver" (the happy ending everyone needs after determining RHR)

It's important to be relaxed

Log    PRs

AlexVan

Motivated by HRV

If you have an iPhone 4s or 5 or new Android that supports Bluetooth 4.0 you can get a very high quality Polar H6 or H7 and a free app like runkeeper.  They recommend consistency is most important, but generally I would say just put it on 10 minutes after you wake up, immediately after it can be jumping around a little.  HRV seems to be even more accurate than resting heart rate, so I use iThlete which you can now also use with H6 or H7 and it will tell you, take easy(red or orange) or have fun (green or blue).  I have been doing this for about 8 months ever since a small over training episode, HRV or resting heart rate work very well for me.  You also can buy any cheap HR watch and strap.  I tried the iPhone only types in testing but could not get accuracy out of it.  Enjoy and good luck.

AlexVan

Motivated by HRV

If you have HRM strap with polar compatibility you can use something called 60beat that works with some free apps in iPhone / android also.  Or if you have Garmin you can get an Ant + plugin to use existing HRM strap.  Again good luck...

Thanks for the tips!  I'm terrible at getting my hr manually plus I love gadgets so the techie tips are especially appealing : )  Now I just have to remember to take it before I get up and start my day!

2014 - hmm, what next?

Thanks for the tips!  I'm terrible at getting my hr manually plus I love gadgets so the techie tips are especially appealing : )  Now I just have to remember to take it before I get up and start my day!

2014 - hmm, what next?