Low HR Training

cross training slow twitchers (Read 711 times)

I was doing some research on cadence and gearing for cycling and ran across this article:

http://www.portlandvelo.net/blogs/healthfitnesstraining/archive/2009/04/16/crank-a-high-cadence-to-ultimately-burn-off-more-fat-and-your-biking-buds-without-bonking.aspx

I thought I would share it with the triathletes & cross trainers in this group.

jdazzle

Good read, and I'm glad I'm doing mostly high cadence work at this stage for my tri training.

Question for the cross-trainers out there:  Does anyone drop their MAF heart rate for cycling versus running?  In piecing together my performance over the last month, I'm wondering if I was going too hard on the bike and thereby hurting my running performance.  I think I'm going to reduce my MAF rate by 5 bpm downwards and see what happens, but any other experience notes would be appreciated!

Anne47

Good read, and I'm glad I'm doing mostly high cadence work at this stage for my tri training.

Question for the cross-trainers out there:  Does anyone drop their MAF heart rate for cycling versus running?  In piecing together my performance over the last month, I'm wondering if I was going too hard on the bike and thereby hurting my running performance.  I think I'm going to reduce my MAF rate by 5 bpm downwards and see what happens, but any other experience notes would be appreciated!

Dr. Phil answers a question about MAF HR's for cycling(and other sports) in his forum. The link is:

http://www.philmaffetone.com/forum.cfm?forum_action=showposts&topicid=78525

I use the same MAF value for both, based on what the Doc says on it.

Do you feel the cycling is hurting your running performance?

My own experience was that my cycling improved a lot from MAF training, wheres my running initially dipped a bit then got back to where it was or maybe a shade better.  However as I only did true MAF for a couple of months this isnt' that surprising, and as I did little cycling in the recent past, then that may account for the greater improvement there.

I plan to start a proper long MAF base build next week after my break, so will see how it all goes.

Dr. Phil answers a question about MAF HR's for cycling(and other sports) in his forum. The link is:

http://www.philmaffetone.com/forum.cfm?forum_action=showposts&topicid=78525

BeeRunB

Interesting. I'll pass this on to my club members back in RI.

--Jimmy

jdazzle

in fact, i do feel that the cycling has been hurting my run performance!  and, the same as you, my cycling has had a good improvement whereas i am still in a dip with my running performance.  maybe i'll just chalk it up to being a normal phenomenon?  i'll keep trying, but i've only got about one more month of base before it gets to 5k and sprint tri season...  then i'll be back to base for about a month before half and marathon season...