Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

<h6>ATC 5K trail. 2AG. 23:16 and I had nothing left. 3 mile C/D turned into 1 mile.The speedsters stayed home. Afraid of a little water.Thank you.</h6>

In the last mile I was 20 meters behind a guy who looked to be in my AG. Last half mile I decided to pass him. I started to pull away from him and wanted to see if I could break his spirit. I did. Thank goodness. I turned the corner and a killer hill pops up. of course I keep looking over my shoulder for him. He started to close the gap. I had to do a gut  check and shift gears. He gave up. One more younger guy to catch. I normally  let people know I am  going to pass them. I am the loud guy finishing. I did not this time. I just zoomed past him. He looked up and decided in was not worth the effort.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

C-R

Boston yesterday. Not a PR day to say the least.

4:31:14 officially. Wheels fell off at 14. Avoided the med tents.

Did not wear the hrm but my biggest issue was not being able to control my heart rate. Walked a lot in those last miles but finished.

Better training is needed for me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Boston yesterday. Not a PR day to say the least.

4:31:14 officially. Wheels fell off at 14. Avoided the med tents.

Did not wear the hrm but my biggest issue was not being able to control my heart rate. Walked a lot in those last miles but finished.

Better training is needed for me.

Norm, good finish in that heat!

--Jimmy

C-R

Norm, good finish in that heat!

--Jimmy

Thanks jimmy.

How did Ron make out?

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

BeeRunB

Thanks jimmy.

How did Ron make out?

Quick look at athlete tracking, and his splits look like everyone else's I've seen, fast start, slow finish (almost everyone starts too fast at Boston). 5:20. One of those days where finishing is a big deal and a major success. It's not about time sometimes, but about perseverance.

Ron has been the EnduroDeity around here this past year or two. Putting in some near Karno-like distances. Go, Ron!

--JimmyCool

labhiker

Norm and Ron,

Way to go and nice job in the heat!  I can only imagine how much the heat became a factor. 

Good job.

labhiker

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Boston 5:01:19.Knee issue at 6.5 miles. Stopped to apply bio-freeze.Fought hard to hold back the tears. Not from the pain but from  having a DNF. Teared up again at mile 22 when I knew I could walk 4.2 miles in 2+ hours. I do not like getting water sprayed  in races. However, at mile 21 a stood in front of a water hose for about 10 seconds.I stopped to apply biofreeze at mile 17. After ,18  miles the knee was not a major factor. It slowed the pace but the heat was the real killer. I battled the heat with ice,wet sponges,water towels and all the water hoses available.Did not have any salt tablets. Started downing pretzel sticks at mile 22.The low sodium hit me about a hour after the race.I am not fully recovered from the heat. Will DNS Sweetwater 50K this weekend.Will the knee 2 weeks to rest before next scheduled race (5/5/12).

Boston-- PW for a marathon where I was not pacing someone Sad.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

C-R

Glad you survived Boston. What a joy and a nightmare all in one.

Ran the Carmel HM yesterday. 1:38:37. Ran with the 1:40 pace group and kicked it in the last mile +. Legs felt great and all systems were in order. I guess the 41 degrees was more conducive to racing for me. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Ran the Carmel HM yesterday. 1:38:37. Ran with the 1:40 pace group and kicked it in the last mile +. Legs felt great and all systems were in order. I guess the 41 degrees was more conducive to racing for me. 

Thanks.

Congrats. Great time for the HM.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

Very nice, Norm. 41 degrees is heaven for racing. It's like taking 20 pounds off.

Recover well.

--Jimmy

Holy heck Batman. So was the pacer ahead of schedule or did you actually run a 6:15 last mile?

Nice, I bow down to you Sir Norm.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

C-R

Holy heck Batman. So was the pacer ahead of schedule or did you actually run a 6:15 last mile?

Nice, I bow down to you Sir Norm.

Not so much. We banked a few seconds over the course and pretty much lost everyone in the pace group at 11 so we ran the last  two @ 6:58 and the last .1 at a dead sprint. It was fun.

wanderingoutlaw

Boston 5:01:19.Knee issue at 6.5 miles. Stopped to apply bio-freeze.Fought hard to hold back the tears. Not from the pain but from  having a DNF. Teared up again at mile 22 when I knew I could walk 4.2 miles in 2+ hours. I do not like getting water sprayed  in races. However, at mile 21 a stood in front of a water hose for about 10 seconds.I stopped to apply biofreeze at mile 17. After ,18  miles the knee was not a major factor. It slowed the pace but the heat was the real killer. I battled the heat with ice,wet sponges,water towels and all the water hoses available.Did not have any salt tablets. Started downing pretzel sticks at mile 22.The low sodium hit me about a hour after the race.I am not fully recovered from the heat. Will DNS Sweetwater 50K this weekend.Will the knee 2 weeks to rest before next scheduled race (5/5/12).

Boston-- PW for a marathon where I was not pacing someone Sad.

Glad you finished Boston.  Congratulations.

I hear Sweetwater was brutal, so it was probably good you did not attempt it.

John

wanderingoutlaw

I haven't found time to visit the forums in a while but I have continued some bit of running and racing.  The barefeet have continues to limit my distance but after three plus years, my body finally seems to be adjusting.  I've finally approached my pre and early barefoot times and should start setting barefoot PR's in the next few months.

I ran a 5k earlier this month and might have set a barefoot PR except for a train blocking the route  on the downill less than a quarter mile to the finish--had to climb over a train car to cross.

I ran an 8k trail race this past weekend and improved over 4:30 from last year's time.

Hopefully my feet are going to allow me to start running longer distances so I can start improving my times in 10k and longer races.

John

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Darkside 8HR 39 miles

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter