Low HR Training

Back!! =) (Read 421 times)

hey! Hope everyone is well here. From a real quick glance, I can see people are still around and seem well Smile, but I need to catch up on the threads here to get the details. Sorry I was MIA for a long time here.

I basically had some issues going into base training in winter after a great session in the autumn (or fall for you americans? Smile ). I had 2 weeks off after racing session. Then base training at lower HR (160's mostly with a bit of variation). It first went sooo well. Then I got sick with something for a week then I could not get back to previous shape, slight and then worsening regression instead, for no visible reason; It just got worse when I tried to add extra rest. Then I got injured twice. Little injuries that I never had before! So whatever!? Surprised I could have run on with lower milage but I decided to rest 2 weeks for the first one in February after wasting some weeks at low mileage and being frustrated at monitoring the injury (it was getting better but I just didn't have the patience). Anyway. It went away.

Then it was already March, so I set about getting back into shape. Sh*t, after a nice December, winter got completely wasted... By April I got back some neat shape and owwwww... the second little injury! Never had any issue before with my ankles and this one was my left lateral ankle. Really no idea why I got it. -.- Perhaps because I did a training race (not full all-out race) and a couple days later I tried to run a bit too hard. I stopped that fast pace run because my legs still felt too tired from race but I guess I was too late. This one didn't allow for running at all for a few days. So I gave it the two weeks again. Maybe that was too long/overkill for the scale of the injury but nevermind.

I started getting back into shape again, it got back within 3-4 weeks, and now I'm better than ever. =) A bit better than last autumn and what's more, base is better as well. Better paces at lower HR's. I can hold better tempo paces than ever, as well. MAF pace seems to be around 9:20-9:30 min/mile now on a cool day, I suppose, if we use 180-age without adjustments. On hotter days it would be slower but seems to be easily within 10min/mile. If I add +5 as adjustment, well, then even better pace, heh. 9 or a bit inside 9... Surprised

But. I don't really go by strict HR zone training now. (I did in winter, I changed that in the spring.) What I do instead is a mix of HR monitoring and monitoring my own body feedback. I have a wide range for the lower HR / easy runs and whatever my body and legs want on a given day within that range is what I will be doing. That means on some days I can end up even as low as 180-age HR or even lower, or perhaps as high as +10 but it still feels the same easy to me. So far it seems working, I will report more on this later. Tbh it may still be MAF, but who knows; if only I could finally get around to measuring my RQ in a test... I will do it one day, I got a discount for a test where they are supposed to do this. See I'm still curious about this. Smile Important also, I make sure I have extra variety in training, I realised my legs work better if there is more variation, which means allowing some tempo-ish runs too. Just not too much too often. Oh and of course the hill runs! =))

Biggest news beyond the above - I'm finally preparing for my first marathon... I'm looking forward to the extra long runs at low HR. I may try some MP pace in the middle of some of these. I've not done more than 35mpw so far, so I'm also going to have to adjust to 40 so that I feel somewhat prepared. Then race day is in October. Wish me well =) Thanks for reading an old forum member's rambling Wink

Can I be Frank

Walk This Way...this way

Lookin' good 2,

welcome back!

"bf"

(formerly "TomSwifty", etc, Roll eyes )

hey! Hope everyone is well here. From a real quick glance, I can see people are still around and seem well Smile, but I need to catch up on the threads here to get the details. Sorry I was MIA for a long time here.

I basically had some issues going into base training in winter after a great session in the autumn (or fall for you americans? Smile ). I had 2 weeks off after racing session. Then base training at lower HR (160's mostly with a bit of variation). It first went sooo well. Then I got sick with something for a week then I could not get back to previous shape, slight and then worsening regression instead, for no visible reason; It just got worse when I tried to add extra rest. Then I got injured twice. Little injuries that I never had before! So whatever!? Surprised I could have run on with lower milage but I decided to rest 2 weeks for the first one in February after wasting some weeks at low mileage and being frustrated at monitoring the injury (it was getting better but I just didn't have the patience). Anyway. It went away.

Then it was already March, so I set about getting back into shape. Sh*t, after a nice December, winter got completely wasted... By April I got back some neat shape and owwwww... the second little injury! Never had any issue before with my ankles and this one was my left lateral ankle. Really no idea why I got it. -.- Perhaps because I did a training race (not full all-out race) and a couple days later I tried to run a bit too hard. I stopped that fast pace run because my legs still felt too tired from race but I guess I was too late. This one didn't allow for running at all for a few days. So I gave it the two weeks again. Maybe that was too long/overkill for the scale of the injury but nevermind.

I started getting back into shape again, it got back within 3-4 weeks, and now I'm better than ever. =) A bit better than last autumn and what's more, base is better as well. Better paces at lower HR's. I can hold better tempo paces than ever, as well. MAF pace seems to be around 9:20-9:30 min/mile now on a cool day, I suppose, if we use 180-age without adjustments. On hotter days it would be slower but seems to be easily within 10min/mile. If I add +5 as adjustment, well, then even better pace, heh. 9 or a bit inside 9... Surprised

But. I don't really go by strict HR zone training now. (I did in winter, I changed that in the spring.) What I do instead is a mix of HR monitoring and monitoring my own body feedback. I have a wide range for the lower HR / easy runs and whatever my body and legs want on a given day within that range is what I will be doing. That means on some days I can end up even as low as 180-age HR or even lower, or perhaps as high as +10 but it still feels the same easy to me. So far it seems working, I will report more on this later. Tbh it may still be MAF, but who knows; if only I could finally get around to measuring my RQ in a test... I will do it one day, I got a discount for a test where they are supposed to do this. See I'm still curious about this. Smile Important also, I make sure I have extra variety in training, I realised my legs work better if there is more variation, which means allowing some tempo-ish runs too. Just not too much too often. Oh and of course the hill runs! =))

Biggest news beyond the above - I'm finally preparing for my first marathon... I'm looking forward to the extra long runs at low HR. I may try some MP pace in the middle of some of these. I've not done more than 35mpw so far, so I'm also going to have to adjust to 40 so that I feel somewhat prepared. Then race day is in October. Wish me well =) Thanks for reading an old forum member's rambling Wink

BeeRunB

Welcome back, C.

Looks like you've been on a roller coaster ride. Such is the journey of running---and life.

Glad to see that you are on the upswing and feeling good.

Good luck in the marathon! Keep us posted.

--JImmyCool

Welcome back, C.

Looks like you've been on a roller coaster ride. Such is the journey of running---and life.

Glad to see that you are on the upswing and feeling good.

Good luck in the marathon! Keep us posted.

--JImmyCool

thanks. Smile I looked at your running log, what happened, why did you take time off?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

thanks. Smile I looked at your running log, what happened, why did you take time off?

I was looking at some old Maff test  threads this AM and was wondering where you had disappeared. Welcome back!

ps:  The maff pace chart in the maff test thread. I placed it there this AM.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I was looking at some old Maff test  threads this AM and was wondering where you had disappeared. Welcome back!

ps:  The maff pace chart in the maff test thread. I placed it there this AM.

thanks. Smile I'm trying to catch up! Smile

Welcome Back cmon2. 

This is probably my first post in 2012.  I have been checking in every once in a while.  Glad to see some of the familar names and some new names.

I kind of took the winter off, and focused on playing some basketball, and other kinds of exercise over the winter.  I started focusing on running again in the early spring and for the first time, I am starting to feel some of that aroebic fitness coming back.  I am shocked that I have not done any races this year.  By this time, I am usually running some races.  In a few weeks, I am going to run my first 5k of the season.

I learned some things.  I wondered how easy it would be to get the fitness back, if I really let it go, over the winter.  I found out that it is not easy to get it back.  It is probably a better idea to kind of stay in touch with it, if you do have a down season, I think.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Welcome back Cmon & run48, and to me... although I haven't totally left just been spending more time in other forums. Haven't let training totally slide but not pushing to hard. Am trying to maintain enough shape to simplify getting in to half marathon condition for a Dec 2012 race.

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Welcome Back cmon2. 

This is probably my first post in 2012.  I have been checking in every once in a while.  Glad to see some of the familar names and some new names.

I kind of took the winter off, and focused on playing some basketball, and other kinds of exercise over the winter.  I started focusing on running again in the early spring and for the first time, I am starting to feel some of that aroebic fitness coming back.  I am shocked that I have not done any races this year.  By this time, I am usually running some races.  In a few weeks, I am going to run my first 5k of the season.

I learned some things.  I wondered how easy it would be to get the fitness back, if I really let it go, over the winter.  I found out that it is not easy to get it back.  It is probably a better idea to kind of stay in touch with it, if you do have a down season, I think.

I'm back again... Big grin

you taking winter off again? it seems so from your log..

BeeRunB

I'm back again... Big grin

Welcome back, C. Cool

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/