Low HR Training

newbie question (Read 443 times)

First off , this is a great site/group. I am training for my first marathon in October using the Higdon novice 1 method.

Could someone define MAF for me please. I have done a search and couldn't find a definition.

I am training at an average heart rate between 130 and 140, I am assuming that this would be considered low...like i said I'm a newbie. I was 230lbs when i started running almost 2 years ago and now I'm at 195 and would like to run my first marathon.

MAF is a calculation for your Maximum Aerobic Function where you use 180 and subtract your age. There are a few other additions and subtractions you can do to adjust this number depending on your health, stress factors and activity history. If you have been ill a couple times in the last year, had an injury lately, are taking meds for anything or are under lot of stress in your life, you subtract 5 beats. If you have been running for two years injury, illness and medication free add 5 beats.

180-age=MAF

The resulting number is your upper limit in beats per minute while exercising. If you can run at your MAF, great. If you need to do a combination of run/walk to keep your HR at or below your MAF HR, then so be it. If you have to walk up hills and return to running after the hill, thats what you do.

You should read through the boilerplates on the first page of the forum. It will give you all the info you need.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

First off , this is a great site/group. I am training for my first marathon in October using the Higdon novice 1 method.

Could someone define MAF for me please. I have done a search and couldn't find a definition.

I am training at an average heart rate between 130 and 140, I am assuming that this would be considered low...like i said I'm a newbie. I was 230lbs when i started running almost 2 years ago and now I'm at 195 and would like to run my first marathon.

it is low enough if your MHR is not lower than 180-185. and unless your HR profile is unusual then it will probably be ok for MAF too but see the formula Burnt Toast gave you.

BeeRunB

Go here and scroll down

There are two articles that explains the basics.

Good luck with your training and your race.

--Jimmy

thanks for the responses. Answered all my questions!