Low HR Training

Heart Rate Monitor issues (Read 558 times)

npaden

Okay, I'm starting to get frustrated with my HRM.

The last couple weeks I've been getting spikes well into my runs.  Previously I've gotten spikes early in the run on occasion, but I move the strap around a bit and it settles in and no more problems.  Lately it has been well into the run when I am actually sweating some that I've been having the issues. 

I replaced the battery thinking that might be it, but it hasn't really helped much.  I was thinking that it was cooling off some and maybe I just wasn't sweating enough, but I started using it back in December and didn't have any problems with it then.  When I work out in the house on the elliptical with my shirt off it still seems to work perfectly, but I generally sweat more then.

I've read a few articles on positioning, using antistatic sheets on your shirts, etc., but I've done everything except start using the gel. 

My typical routine is to get ready and at the last minute right before I go out the door I run the strap under the faucet to get it good and wet.  As I run I will occasionally reposistion the strap and kind of rub it in to my chest, and that will almost always stop the false spikes, but they end up coming back pretty quickly sometimes.

It's really starting to get old and I'm about ready to just ditch the strap.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Nathan

P.S. - I'm using a Wahoo Fitness ANT+ sensor and chest strap.  It is the smooth kind.  It's about 8 months old.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Don't overstride!

I had problems with mine dropping to 50 to 70 BPM late into a run. I started scrubbing the contacts of my strap after each run and that seemed to help.

npaden

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

KSimpsonTrek

It might be the HRM itself that is giving you the troubles.

I'm currently using the Polar FT1, which is the simplest model, and I've been getting reliable readings since I've gotten it. It is also about 8 months old.

I've used the stationary bike at my local gym which has a wireless reader that can display on the bike's information screen the heart rates from the Polar, but for some reason spikes in HR occur only when I use the specific HR tracker on the bike.

Example, last week, I went for a bike At 60-70% MHR, (which is 124-142 for me). At several points in the workout, even at the same pace my HR spiked to 180's for just a second or two, and even spiked as high as 225!

I knew that it probably wasn't possible for my HR to be that high at such a low intensity, so I've stopped using the HR hookup on the machine and just by getting readings from my Watch alone has stopped the spikes.

So, it might just be your HRM. But keep trying to see if anything will help it!

npaden

I had problems with mine dropping to 50 to 70 BPM late into a run. I started scrubbing the contacts of my strap after each run and that seemed to help.

What are you scrubbing the contacts of your strap with?  I've thought maybe it could be something like this as my strap is 8 months old and I've never properly washed it, just rinsed it off occasionally.  Do you use any soap or just wash it with a rag under running water or what?

I actually use a different software when I'm using the elliptical than when I'm doing my running on my phone but I can't imagine that it could be the software causing the issue.  I'll try washing it throughly with a washcloth tonight and see if it does any better tomorrow morning.

Don't overstride!

I just used a small brush (old toothbrush) and some hand soap. Nothing fancySmile. I also don't wear tech shirts nor wool, because of the static that they create. The following website has more suggestions: 

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/troubleshooting-your-heart-rate.html

npaden

I scrubbed my chest contact pads last night and everything seemed to work perfectly this morning.

It was humid and I ran without a shirt so not a 100% fair test, but at least it worked with no spikes.

It also confirmed that I've been getting artifically high readings for sure the last couple weeks as I seemed to be going a little harder this morning and my avg HR was 5 or 6 beats lower than it has been.  The spikes sure mess up the average.

Don't overstride!

The spikes sure mess up the average.

I never thought about spikes  throwing off the average that much. It makes sense though.

npaden

Yeah, on this mornings run my avg HR was 137 with a max of 146 at a10:29 avg pace.

Yesterday my avg HR was 144 with a max of 192 at an 11:04 avg pace.

My perceived effort was higher today than yesterday (by just a tiny bit - both days were very easy runs) even with humidity at 84% today vs. 54% yesterday and the temperature only 1 degree different. 

On my long run on Sunday I counted 13 spikes up near 180 during my 10 mile run on the graph after the run was over.  My avg HR was 146 on that run and max showed 181.  I kept slowing down because my avg HR was climbing, but was all because of the false spikes.  I think I get frustrated when it starts messing up and that probably doesn't help things either.

Hopefully this has it solved!  Thanks for the tip!

npaden

Well, still had a little bit of problems this morning, but mainly just at the start of the run and that isn't all that unexpected.

Thought I was being smart wearing it on my side but had a big dip at about the 4 mile mark and then put it back on my chest and things seemed accurate from there on in.

With the spike and the dip I think the overall average HR actually ended up pretty close to what it really should have been.

I may start wetting my chest and my shirt along with my strap when I start out and see if that works.  Next time I'm at a store that has it I'm going to pick up some of the gel too.

Shondek

I used to have the same issues Nathan then I changed my running top from technical  to cotton and it's never an issue now

I have a few shirts that I only wear in winter, and they always result in very erratic readings from my HRM.

Running in Belgium
                          Ann

zonykel

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/troubleshooting-your-heart-rate.html

See the link above. The suggestions may help.

I've had issues as well. In my case, changing the battery worked.

From the same website, I found the following explanation:

"most of the companies (read: basically everyone) that re-brand the ANT+ straps do so using the firmware that came on them from the Asian company that mass produces them. The only thing changed is the logo on the front.  Most of the time the firmware works just fine, but sometimes, in certain conditions – it has ‘issues’."

Full info at this link:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/01/wahoo-fitness-blue-hr-bluetooth-low.html

scottb81

I found a homemade elctrolyte gel recipe that I have used; It has made my heart rate monitor readings nearly flawless for every run. I got it from the link below and modified it slightly as indicated. I also scrub the strap with a brush and soap after each use.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-ECG-pads-conductive-gel/

Ingredients

1. Water, 1 cup

2. Salt, 2 tablespoons

3. Flour, 1 cup

4. Bleach, just a drop

5. I also added some body lotion to thicken it up more; It also sticks to the HRM strap better.

Gel recipe

1. Mix the water and salt in the glass bottle.

2. Slowly pour in the flour. It will become gelatinous. Mix it until it the consistency is even throughout.

3. Add a drop of bleach to sterilize the gel

5. Add body lotion to desired thickness

npaden

I've been having better luck with my strap lately.

That last recipe sounds interesting though, what kind of body lotion are you adding to that mixture?

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)