Low HR Training

Am I doing this right? (Read 51 times)

@cmon2 - I haven't really done any races withthis training.  I ran a half in March when I first started it and just blew up - it was my worse time ever.  I was amazingly calm before it and then it got delayed a littel, started to fast, was extremely windy and just fell apart the last couple of miles.  Was my worst time ever 2:45 and change.  My PR was in 20111 @  2:08 and my 19 year old marine nephew pushing me to the end.  I had no idea about any of this HR stuff, I just ran.  I always averaged around a 9:30 -10min pace and I was okay with that.  My fastest 5k was 29:15 - I just woke up and decided to go to a race and do it.  A more experienced ruuner told me later it was because I didn't give myself time to think about it, I just did it.

Last year I had a slight groin pull during a half and have never been able to recover my speed.  I am very hard on myself which is part of the problem.  I had done a lot of reading about different methods and found when I ran slower it didn't hurt and I was less tired.  I went out in January and idd a frosty 5K and had a great time for me.  That was when I decided to delve into it a little more.  I have had some good advice and guidance froma good friend who is a very good runner.  I decided I had to give it a chance and go with it.  I did a 5k in June and my goal was 30 minutes, however I took a horrible fall with less than a mile to the finish and missed my goal, but finished in around 32 and change.

I have a half coming up in Septmember that I am hoping to do 2:30 or better.  All I can say is it has been hard and I tell myself everyday I have to stick with it the results will come.  I will never be fast, and I am okay with being a middle of the packer.  I would like to get back to my 10min mi without struggling and stay injury free.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

I discovered something interesting today.  Using the calculations for HRR and low intensity aerobic training, 60-70% my HR would fall between 139 and 156.  And 139 is my MAF HR.  Pretty sure this won't be the same for most people but I was pretty surprised that I was dead on for 60% of HRR.

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/heart-rate-calculators/hrzone?minHR=40&maxHR=205&Submit=Calculate

Well, that 60% if you notice, is the *bottom* of even the low intensity range...

What the formula gives me is ~64% HRR.

There will not be a great correlation because the theoretical 180 formula is largely age based and actual measured maxHR along with resting HR - which the HRR% calculation is based on - is not age based.

So whether 60% is a meaningful intensity or not, the fact of your calculated MAF HR being at 60% is definitely not meaningful.

@Barbs595

ah, I see. I hope you'll get to your goal of being able to run 10minute miles again Smile and easier, at a lower HR! Because, with a 2:08 half, I think that 9:30-10 pace for training was way too fast for you, at least for the normal daily runs. I guess I'm not telling you anything new with that lol. Good luck with the LHR training Smile just don't forget that one day you'll be ready to do some faster/harder stuff too, 1 workout per week or something like that, if you want to play with 5K's more.

@cmon2 - Yes I had no idea I was training to hard or fast.  I was doing all of my training at 10 min mi/slowest being 10:30m- who knew..lol  Older and wiser now and learing..Work in progress..stay tuned

@Barbs595

ah, I see. I hope you'll get to your goal of being able to run 10minute miles again Smile and easier, at a lower HR! Because, with a 2:08 half, I think that 9:30-10 pace for training was way too fast for you, at least for the normal daily runs. I guess I'm not telling you anything new with that lol. Good luck with the LHR training Smile just don't forget that one day you'll be ready to do some faster/harder stuff too, 1 workout per week or something like that, if you want to play with 5K's more.

HF # 1189

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

@cmon2 - I haven't really done any races withthis training.  I ran a half in March when I first started it and just blew up - it was my worse time ever.  I was amazingly calm before it and then it got delayed a littel, started to fast, was extremely windy and just fell apart the last couple of miles.  Was my worst time ever 2:45 and change.  My PR was in 20111 @  2:08 and my 19 year old marine nephew pushing me to the end.  I had no idea about any of this HR stuff, I just ran.  I always averaged around a 9:30 -10min pace and I was okay with that.  My fastest 5k was 29:15 - I just woke up and decided to go to a race and do it.  A more experienced ruuner told me later it was because I didn't give myself time to think about it, I just did it.

Last year I had a slight groin pull during a half and have never been able to recover my speed.  I am very hard on myself which is part of the problem.  I had done a lot of reading about different methods and found when I ran slower it didn't hurt and I was less tired.  I went out in January and idd a frosty 5K and had a great time for me.  That was when I decided to delve into it a little more.  I have had some good advice and guidance froma good friend who is a very good runner.  I decided I had to give it a chance and go with it.  I did a 5k in June and my goal was 30 minutes, however I took a horrible fall with less than a mile to the finish and missed my goal, but finished in around 32 and change.

I have a half coming up in Septmember that I am hoping to do 2:30 or better.  All I can say is it has been hard and I tell myself everyday I have to stick with it the results will come.  I will never be fast, and I am okay with being a middle of the packer.  I would like to get back to my 10min mi without struggling and stay injury free.

Are you doing a running streak? Did not see any off days and your mileage is not high.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

@cmon2 - Yes I had no idea I was training to hard or fast.  I was doing all of my training at 10 min mi/slowest being 10:30m- who knew..lol  Older and wiser now and learing..Work in progress..stay tuned

definitely "staying tuned" Smile do post here or in a new thread if you're having any issues!

zachgrammon

To the OP and new Low HRers:

Back in 2010, I stumbled across an article Mark Allen wrote about what I learned much later was the Maffetone Method.  Inspired by the articled, I got a HR monitor and measured my aerobic efficiency at around 12:15 min/mi @ 148 bpm.  I was shocked, because I was below what I weighed in high school (~165 lb) and I had solely rode my bicycle as a means of transportation around Portland, OR over the previous two years.

Fast forward to May 2014.  I weighed ~200 lb, had spent the last two years in a cubicle at a desk engaging in sedentary hobbies, and after three weeks of 7 mi/wk, I was around 12:21 @ 146 bpm.

From that, I assume that aerobic conditioning for running is relatively distinct and requires specificity to train.

Since the end of May, my pace has dropped from 12:21 min/mi to <9:00 min/mi at the same heart rate (but I've also lost approximately 30 lb).  I'm now faced with the pleasant surprise of constantly telling my legs to go faster than they want in order to stay in my HR zone.

KarenD

I am looking forward to my 2nd MAF test next week to see if I've improved at all.  We shall see...

I am streaking.  tryng to stay consistent.  I have stopped all my gym training to try todo this LHR training a try.  My mileage may not seem high to you, but I am okay with it and do what I can in the time I have to do it.  I don't count any walking warm ups in this either.  I don't think I have ever done more thatn 30ish miles ina week and that is usually when I am training for a half.  I am pretty sure I was over training even when I wasn't streaking and it started to take a toll on me.

Are you doing a running streak? Did not see any off days and your mileage is not high.

HF # 1189

To the OP and new Low HRers:

Back in 2010, I stumbled across an article Mark Allen wrote about what I learned much later was the Maffetone Method.  Inspired by the articled, I got a HR monitor and measured my aerobic efficiency at around 12:15 min/mi @ 148 bpm.  I was shocked, because I was below what I weighed in high school (~165 lb) and I had solely rode my bicycle as a means of transportation around Portland, OR over the previous two years.

Fast forward to May 2014.  I weighed ~200 lb, had spent the last two years in a cubicle at a desk engaging in sedentary hobbies, and after three weeks of 7 mi/wk, I was around 12:21 @ 146 bpm.

From that, I assume that aerobic conditioning for running is relatively distinct and requires specificity to train.

Since the end of May, my pace has dropped from 12:21 min/mi to <9:00 min/mi at the same heart rate (but I've also lost approximately 30 lb).  I'm now faced with the pleasant surprise of constantly telling my legs to go faster than they want in order to stay in my HR zone.

@zachgrammon

Aerobic conditioning for each sport is somewhat specific but not entirely.

30lb weight loss plus a bit of improvement beyond that sounds about right for the pace improvement.

If your legs are too lazy for the HR zone -at this pace you mentioned- then either your *calculated* MAF isn't really a very low HR range or you are running very high mileage (for your current fitness).

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am streaking.  tryng to stay consistent.  I have stopped all my gym training to try todo this LHR training a try.  My mileage may not seem high to you, but I am okay with it and do what I can in the time I have to do it.  I don't count any walking warm ups in this either.  I don't think I have ever done more thatn 30ish miles ina week and that is usually when I am training for a half.  I am pretty sure I was over training even when I wasn't streaking and it started to take a toll on me.

I think you need to count your WU miles. A 30 day streak with a mile warm up is a big difference in millage and time spent on your feet.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/