Low HR Training

So .... what exactly are You running these days for workouts ? ? ? (Read 1023 times)

Beginner all over again

I was wondering .... what exactly are You running these days for workouts ? ? ?

How many days per week?

How many minutes per day?

How many days off?

Does anyone bicycle also?

Are you building up time on feet toward a goal? if so what goal?

If you are willing to share your "Schedule" I would appreciate it..

I'm Trying To Figure Out what I am doing here, thought I would see whether you all would be kind enough to share.

Thank you!

Purdey

Self anointed title

How many days per week?

6-7

Approx 1.5 - 3hrs per day, over 2 runs.  Total about 100 - 115 mi per week at the moment.  Will build a bit higher soon, maybe up to 120 - 130.

How many days off?

Sometimes none, last week 2 (I had a big party).

Nope.

Yes, I'm building as large a base as possible before introducing some speedwork.

Goal is a fast marathon in October.

What about you?

BeeRunB

Hey Frances,

From here to July 4th, it is a bit hodgepodge due to a few 10k's.

A full non-race week during this race season (and in prep for) was:

DAY 1: heart time recovery 113-118bpm (MAF -20 to -15)

DAY 2: 45 minute MAF test plus 10-20 minutes extra

DAY 3: heart time recovery 113-118bpm (MAF -20 to -15)

DAY 4: 20-21 minute  LT Tempo run

DAY 5: heart time recovery 113-118bpm (MAF -20 to -15)

DAY 6: heart time long run 118-133bpm (MAF -15 to MAF)

DAY 7: OFF

Yoga and Strength work 2-3 times a week.

After July 4th, I begin a 12-week aerobic base phase (all MAF and under)

with the following schedule:

DAY 1: heart time recovery 113-118bpm (MAF -20 to -15)

DAY 2: 45 minute MAF test plus 10-25 minutes extra

DAY 3: heart time recovery 113-118bpm (MAF -20 to -15)

DAY 4: heart time medium long run 123-133bpm (MAF-10 to MAF)

DAY 5: heart time recovery 113-118bpm (MAF -20 to -15)

DAY 6: heart time long run 118-133bpm (MAF -15 to MAF)

DAY 7: OFF

Yoga and Strength work 2-3 times a week. Cutting back every 4th week.

The only fixed duration is the MAF test. Heart time determines the rest,

duration and subsequent mileage will be determined by my aerobic fitness

and day to day variables.

I'm in the midst of a recovery back to form, so my goal

is to be able to run  a few PR's in  a fall race season, and feel

confident enough to run another marathon.

--Jimmy

I was wondering .... what exactly are You running these days for workouts ? ? ?

How many days per week?

How many days off?

If you are willing to share your "Schedule" I would appreciate it..

I'm Trying To Figure Out what I am doing here, thought I would see whether you all would be kind enough to share.

Thank you!

first a general overview Smile I'm just switching from anaerobic race session phase to aerobic base phase. this week is the first week of that. last race was on the last saturday. so now for 2-3 weeks I will strictly do MAF and below runs, one then two long runs, building up to some good mileage, after that I will add Hadd-style LT runs (these are NOT tempo runs!!) 2 times a week. after 2 months, I will start preparing with some tempos for a half marathon and for a 30K both in the autumn and I will also have to do some 15-20 mile runs in preparation for those races.

so currently:

6 days per week

between 60 and 150 mins excluding warmup time (that's slow running for around 8-15mins). alternating short and long runs. alternating flat and hilly runs (2 hilly a week). mostly 150-153bpm for HR (around MAF) and sometimes 140-143bpm. when I'm going to add Hadd-style LT it will probably be 1 run around 158bpm and 1 around 163bpm. sort of like your MEP zone.

1 day off, more for the mental rest than physical rest.

not yet but I'm buying a bike pretty soon - and I'm going to do swimming too as the weather has recently got hot enough for me to want to go swimming Smile plus I really want to try and see how much I forgot about swimming. I used to be able to do long hours of swimming without getting tired in the least and speed/pace wasn't that shit either. for the bike, the same. I'm going to do some long workouts, perhaps 1-2 times a week.

yeah, after this week of probably 35MPW, I want to get to 40MPW first then 45MPW - this will of course take more than 2 weeks!. for 50MPW I would have to first get faster, even though this mileage would be great to achieve.. but this MPW is excluding warmup so including warmup it could be near 50. that's all aerobic stuff (plus Hadd-style LT later, still very aerobic).

oops, you actually asked about time, not mileage - well, in terms of time this would be well over 8 hours by the time I get to 45MPW, going from 6-7 hours of running weekly.

the goal is just to become a good aerobic machine getting ready for some great marathon time in the distant future - distant, I have not run any marathon yet.

but I want to PR in the half marathon, of course. I need to just improve my 2:13 that I ran in horribly sunny and warm weather. so PR in cooler autumn weather will be way too easy. and I want to do the 30K race without being totally dead by the end. it would be nice to do the 30K in 3 hours, 3:10 at worst. 3:10 would be the pace I achieved in the half marathon recently.

C-R

Frances - good question but let me ask you what it is you are trying to accomplish? Your schedule shoudl reflect your personal goals. Using other's information is a good place to start but it can lead you down a path that reduces the joy of running. For us non-elites, we must have that joy or it becomes too much like work.

Now for my schedule - I keep it very simple so I can be flexible and do what I like on a given day.

• 7 days per week and take a day when I need it.
            • Min of one hour per day with two longer runs per week between 1.5 and 2 hours. Ideally, I would like to get to 10 hours per week on my feet. I will double on occassion.
            • two hard workouts per week. I use tempos, track, hills, progression, fartlek to select. I do not pre-plan but do what hits me. I may work the tempo into a long run to get better prep for my races.
            • I do not cross train but will start soon by returning to my kettle bell and push-up/abs/pull up work. I will cycle and swim with the family but only for fun.
            • My goal is sub 3:10 for my next marathon in the fall, 18Tight lippedx for the 5k by summers end and PRs in any other race I tend to try.

There you go. Simple and flexible. Helps keep me energized and running fun for me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

For us non-elites, we must have that joy or it becomes too much like work.

for people who don't have a job - like me - this might actually be a good thing Smile

Ran_On_Empty

Frances

Somewhere in here I talked about two runs a day.

I currently am trying to string two days together.

Goal is to run 6 days a week.  Three runs with KSO five fingers. 

Run 45 minutes for each run. Then add a second run on one day, sometime in the future.

Ultra marathon is a long term goal, but don't have a set date.  Was going to do one in Sept. but my training fell off the cliff.  Have a 4 acre yard that takes lots of time to maintain. Spend 3+ hr on a mower.

I am runnning my runs at MAF-15 to MAF -5.  I have doubts about LHT, but will plod away at it. 

I haven't measured distance in a while....just time.  Ran 35 minutes this am. Avg Hr 127. Max was 144 (high) and I slowed down after that.

Beginner all over again

Frances - good question but let me ask you what it is you are trying to accomplish? Your schedule shoudl reflect your personal goals. .

Good question and good point.

Well, I would like to BQ in  a few years, probably four years???

That's really my only goal.

I don't want to run any Fast 5K's other than BQ pace.

I don't ever want to run faster than BQ pace or necessary training for that.

Assumed goal is always to run without injury, and I suppose I'll have to "get faster" in order to eventually BQ of course.  I've never run longer than 2:30 before.

I don't want to "run a marathon" just do it it.

I could probably clock a sub-six-hour marathon with six months of training, but I'd rather stick with the HM distance until I get closer to BQ pace at HM, and then extend my training and LongRuns to train for a full.

Your schedule should reflect your personal goals. Using other's information is a good place to start

Thank you for mentioning this.

Yes, I will certaining consider others's goals as they post their training schedules.

I'd like to do a HM every three months,  even if it's not fast, but I'm willing to go Above MAF once every three months.

Good question and good point.

Well, I would like to BQ in  a few years, probably four years???

That's really my only goal.

I don't want to run any Fast 5K's other than BQ pace.

I don't ever want to run faster than BQ pace or necessary training for that.

Assumed goal is always to run without injury, and I suppose I'll have to "get faster" in order to eventually BQ of course.  I've never run longer than 2:30 before.

I don't want to "run a marathon" just do it it.

I could probably clock a sub-six-hour marathon with six months of training, but I'd rather stick with the HM distance until I get closer to BQ pace at HM, and then extend my training and LongRuns to train for a full.

Thank you for mentioning this.

Yes, I will certaining consider others's goals as they post their training schedules.

I'd like to do a HM every three months,  even if it's not fast, but I'm willing to go Above MAF once every three months.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you will need to be able to run a 5k, 10k, HM etc. much faster then a BQ pace if you expect to BQ in four years.

A 50 year old female needs a time of 4:05:00 to BQ. That calculates to a 9:22 pace. An equivalent VO2 Max 5k run is an 8:20 pace. You can think of it this way. If you can run a 5k at an 8:20 pace, you should be able to BQ. That is assuming you have the proper base build up, excellent health and favorable weather for your attempt.

I am like some of the others in that I run mostly by feel and up until a few weeks ago, trained primarily at MAF. I have been trying to get 40 mpw of running in. I have run as little as four days a week to to achieve the 40 miles and as many as seven days depending on how I feel. If I need a break, I take it.

This week I will be starting the Pfitzinger 18/55 marathon plan in prep for my first marathon in October. I'm going to try and follow it as closely as possible, but I will also be competing in a handful of sprint triathlons this summer so I cross train on the bike and swim. I'll also be running some 5 and 10k's this year to see where my VO2 Max is to get an idea of a possible marathon pace to set as my goal pace.

A BQ for me is a sub 3:20:00 marathon and that will most likely not be possible by then and I'm okay with that. I haven't run more then 15.5 miles in a single run to date so I'm not sure how I'll fair when I start pushing past 20. I have a goal of a sub 3:50:00 for a first marathon.

I'll add that I may be off base on this and if some one with more experience then I have wants to straighten me out, be my guest. I think one needs to race a 5 or 10k race periodically to gauge how well their body is adapting to processing the oxygen it needs to work at a race intensity that is needed for you to acheive your running goals.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Beginner all over again

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you will need to be able to run a 5k, 10k, HM etc. much faster then a BQ pace if you expect to BQ in four years.

Hi BT

Thanks for sharing your information.

And about the above, sure, "be able to" run a 5K 10K, HM faster than BQ pace.... is fine.

I just have no interest in actually doing so.

Does that make sense?

I'm not trying to be flippant. 

My goal is to "train for" the BQ.

Any faster paces at any shorter races (... for instance what if I never Race another 5k...?...)  would be as a result of training for the marathon.

I don't want to "train for" a fast 5K, per se,

Does this make sense? Am I talkin' double-speak here...?... (I realize might be....not my intention)

Thanks again for posting.  I am interested in what everyone else is doing, and why

Hi BT

Thanks for sharing your information.

And about the above, sure, "be able to" run a 5K 10K, HM faster than BQ pace.... is fine.

I just have no interest in actually doing so.

Does that make sense?

I'm not trying to be flippant. 

Any faster paces at any shorter races (... for instance what if I never Race another 5k...?...)  would be as a result of training for the marathon.

Does this make sense? Am I talkin' double-speak here...?... (I realize might be....not my intention)

Thanks again for posting.  I am interested in what everyone else is doing, and why

Well, every marathon plan that I've come across in my search for a plan that I believe would fit my needs best has LOTS of speed work involved in it. The first 1/4 to 1/3 of most plans is the base phase, then you get into the speed phase, endurance phase, taper and race.

In the speed portions, you are suppose to run some miles, intervals or a certain amount of time at or faster then your 5k race pace. Most will also have tempos at or near your 10k race pace. Then they will also have you running some miles at your projected MP.

Question for you is how do you know what your 5k race pace is without actually racing an all out 5k?

You will need to be able to run those minutes or miles AT your 5k race pace or faster to train your body to perform at that speed,. Training at those speeds will  ultimately increase your MP. It will make running at MP faster so you can sustain it over the 26 miles. It teaches your body to deal with the lactic acid its producing to help fuel itself. It creates new mitocondria to hep increase the rate of oxygen absorption to fuel your muscles.

Elite Marathoners don't train for 5k's either, but they do train at those kind of paces and faster. You don't have to train for a 5k specifically, but you do need to run at those paces also, even when you're training specifically for a marathon.

Just two more cents for you from me.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Your times will just get faster on shorter races as a result of BQ- ing. It is a by-product.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Beginner all over again

Question for you is how do you know what your 5k race pace is without actually racing an all out 5k?.

Hi BT,

:-)

Thanks again for writing.

Of course the answer is I don't know what my 5K race pace is.

I really have no desire to Race a 5K.  

Beginner all over again

Your times will just get faster on shorter races as a result of BQ- ing. It is a by-product.

Well, this was my thinking.....

BT....This was my thinking..  I will generally get faster .