Low HR Training

Which HRMs do you like? (Read 3521 times)

Wasatch Speedgoat

Polar FS3 mostly and occasionally I use my Polar transmitter with my Suunto HR monitor, which i mainly have for the altitude. I have also used a Timex in the past and I have found that the transmitters that have a replaceable battery, leaks in sweat and shorts out. Nothing like the sealed Polar transmitter that lasts for 7 years.

Steve

PS: I've also just poked my head in here from time to time, very busy at work and at getting the house ready to sell. I do read many of the posts, this forum is great. It has grown immensely from what I started back a couple of  years ago. As for the history of the group, when all the Coolrunning folk moved over her, I handed the reigns to Jesse, the Coolrunning moderator.

Life is short, play hard!

ymmv

Garmin 405 for me.

I especially like that I can upload HR and track data directly to my runningahead.com running log.

First off, thank you for everything you have given to the running/endurance community, Dr. Phil. Your advice has been paramount in the "success" I have had since getting my butt off the couch a few years back. (also huge thanks to Jesse, Jimmy, and others!)

My wife and I both use Garmin 305's. For biking, we use the Garmin 305 Edge and I recently purchased a 705 Edge. (all use the same HR/GPS technology, which is great since I can sync. my HR strap to multiple devices)

If someone just wanted a HR monitor, though, I would pass on the Garmin. For runner's, though, it has the ability to take the HR data and correspond it to a specific course/run which you can use as a baseline, etc.

TJR

I have a HRMs from Polar (FS1, and RS800) Garmin (305 and 405) and Suunto (T1 and T6) and hands-down I prefer the Suunto T6.  It works great, the user interface is easy to use.  I don't wear my glasses while running and have no trouble reading the display.

Hi Phil!  Garmin 305 here--does everything I need. 

(sorry to the forum members that I've been out of touch--not much time these days which is why I need to do things like wake up this morning at 3 AM to run 17 miles before work.  I pulled off a 19 minute marathon PR in April on very low training mileage--hoping for at least 9 less minutes this fall at a race TBD that will Boston Qualify me).

(P.S. I was able to average a 184 heart rate in my last marathon.  I think that is about the best I can do--maybe 1-2 beats more at most)

TexasRunner

I use a cardiosport GT3 and I have a cardiosport Extreme (a spring fell out while changing battery so not sure how well it works right now).

I like cardiosport because you can change the battery in the transmitter yourself.

Half Fanatic #846

Saw this topic resurrected so I'll add one in case it's still useful to anyone:

"Kinetic" HR monitor and watch

Gives the basics along with a chrono (no splits)

$20 at Publix grocery stores - I don't know about online

I've had mine for about 3 months, use it several times a week and it seems to be fairly accurate - they're so cheap I should buy a couple more...My only complaint is that the wristband is pretty rigid -  but still comfortable.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

DrPhil

Saw this topic resurrected so I'll add one in case it's still useful to anyone:

"Kinetic" HR monitor and watch

Gives the basics along with a chrono (no splits)

$20 at Publix grocery stores - I don't know about online

I've had mine for about 3 months, use it several times a week and it seems to be fairly accurate - they're so cheap I should buy a couple more...My only complaint is that the wristband is pretty rigid -  but still comfortable.

This is nice to know about -- an inexpensive alternative to the overpriced monitors out there. Might be a nice addition to the book. Where is this made?

Has anyone tried the new ithlete technology, used with a heart monitor to measure resting heart rate and heart rate variatbility? The technology is so far only available in the iphone and the touch screen ipod.

Phil

BeeRunB

I use this one as a backup:

Nice one Jimmy. I just got the new garmin HRM, which is a huge upgrade from the previous version. A lot smaller and less bulky, pricey tho at 60ish but I think its worth it. Heck I don't spend my money on golfing and other sports.

Half Fanatic #846

This is nice to know about -- an inexpensive alternative to the overpriced monitors out there. Might be a nice addition to the book. Where is this made?

Has anyone tried the new ithlete technology, used with a heart monitor to measure resting heart rate and heart rate variatbility? The technology is so far only available in the iphone and the touch screen ipod.

Phil

Dr. Phil - I did a quick search but unfortunately wasn't able to find out much.  "Kinetek"  brand (I think I misspelled it in my post) HRMs are apparently made in Australia and sold primarily there and in the UK.  I was able to pick mine up at a Publix grocery store here in Fla. 3-4 months ago - apparently was a special deal they had with a supplier or the manufacturer.  I've seen a few "stray ones" on Ebay.uk, etc., but am unable to find a viable US website for domestic orders in my brief search... just these:

direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999325$3991647/Nr.99.95px   (scroll down) and

www.co-operative.coop/pharmacy/pharmacy-services/other-services/medical-electrical-products 

Re: ithlete technology, perhaps someone else will be able to help you with that. 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

really depends on your own personal preferences but... I like my RS200 (polar), and beyond measuring my HR correctly and consistently with the option to use a coded signal (!), it does everything that I *really* need i.e. have a real use for, including storing more than just 1 workout, storing way more than enough lap times, offering a customizable display and even though this one does not have the option for uploading graphs to the PC, I've yet to feel a need for that as I do most of my workouts in a constant low HR zone anyway. for races, I've yet to enter one but I guess I will just remember my heart rates as I'm good with numbers and am not a person with a need for visualization anyway. this is why I say it's up to you personally in terms of what kind of HRM will be best for you.
                          hmm, other than that do you need to know your pace and distance during the workout or are you happy with checking it out only afterwards? I'm the latter category but if you are the former, then you'll want a GPS, not a footpod, as a GPS has better accuracy independent of current pace, except maybe for altitude measurings.
                            I like my RS200 (polar) 

I just bought an RS200 based on this recomendation.  Thanks Cmon.  I needed another one, and I already had an RS100 that I really liked, but this one had features on it, that I wished I had on the RS100.

Main differences:

- much more flexibility on what to display while running.  Almost any combination or size you want.

- stores multiple workouts instead of only one.

- Fitness Test

The fitness test was very interesting.  You lay down and then hit the start test button and while you are relaxing, it evaluates your heart rate, and determines your V02max.  Definitely sounded fishy to me, but it was dead on with my Vo2Max.  My 5k time says that I have a Vo2Max of 44.  This returned the value 44 the two times I tried it.  It supposedly analyzes your heart variablity, which is an indicator of fitness?  It also predicted my HR max, but was off by 10.  It said mine was 175, but it really is 185.

I bought this online and there seems to be good bargains because they are old models.

My eyes are not great, so this one had options that made seeing the screen easier while running and it gave me the ability to pre-select what I wanted on the screen.  That was the most important thing to me.

It also has the ability to download through a system called SonicLink, using speakers and a microphone on your PC, using sounds like a fax machine.  I totally stayed away from that.  It sounds way too complicated.

If you are happy just copying the data from the watch manually, this really is fine.  I am happy with the lap feature, and having the maxHR, aveHR, and last HR data for each lap.  I generally only click the lap button a few times on my runs.

glad you like the rs200. Smile

I haven't tried soniclink, yet... I would first need to fix the sound on my PC. but I'm ok with manually typing in those (not many) lap times... and I wouldn't want to tax its battery too much.