Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

mt79

Army 10 miler 68:20.  Much better than last year's 77:25.  First 5 miles 35:00, second five miles 33:20.  My last MAF pace was 8:00/mile on the treadmill, so I ran about 70 seconds per mile faster for 10.      

mt79

I completed my 2nd marathon, the Marine Corps marathon in 3:25, improving from 3:54 in the same race last year.  I wanted to run between 3:20 and 3:30 so I ran with the 3:15 pace leader.  I was concerned that if I ran with the 3:25 pace leader and fell off the pace, I would drop below 3:30.  I was able to hang on to that group for about 17 miles.  My splits were 1:07/1:18.  I finished the race a few feet from the 3:25 pace leader, so I guess I should have just run with him the entire race :-)      

My quads were giving up on me again this year, but not nearly as bad as 2013.  The hardest part of the race was the wind during the 2nd half.  It picked up to 15+ miles per hours and was particularly offensive on the mostly uphill bridge crossing back from DC to Virginia from 19.75 to 21 miles.  At around 22.75 miles, I knew I would finish in 3:2X and would reach my goal, so I took a few 1 minute walk breaks and enjoyed the beverages and snacks instead of just pouring them all over my face.

I completed Challenge Melbourne on Sunday. It's a half Ironman distance  triathlon.

The swim was really tough, big swell, hard to navigate the course, so not surprised with a not great time (40 mins for 1.9k)

I hadn't been feeling great in the lead up to this race, so I decided to go easy on the first 2 laps of the bike leg, and pick it up from there (each lap is 30k), so ok with my time of 2:42, especially given the driving rain and fairly strong winds.

My run tends to be the poorest of my legs in most tris, so I wasn't expecting too much here.

For some reason though, I seemd to be running really freely off the bike. I had to hold myself back as I was afraid of overcooking it.

Again, it was 3 laps of 7k, and again I held back a bit the first 2, and pushed the 3rd.

I was stopping at every 2nd aid station briefly, and hitting lap, and was looking at lap pace, not overall time, so I was a bit shocked afterwards  to see that I have just nipped in under my standalone HM time by a few seconds, 1:48. So really happy with that.

Overall time was 5 hours 20 mins.

Next up Ironman Melbourne in 8 weeks.

npaden

Set a new personal best for a half marathon with a time of 1:36:42 for an average pace of 7:23.  That beat my previous personal best by 6:44 which is over 30 seconds per mile faster!

Wrote up a long race report on my blog if anyone wants to read it.  Weather conditions were a bit out of the ordinary for here in Texas, 34 degrees, foggy and slush.

http://www.padens.blogspot.com/2015/03/cowtown-half-marathon-new-personal-best.html

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Docket_Rocket

Set a new personal best for a half marathon with a time of 1:36:42 for an average pace of 7:23.  That beat my previous personal best by 6:44 which is over 30 seconds per mile faster!

Wrote up a long race report on my blog if anyone wants to read it.  Weather conditions were a bit out of the ordinary for here in Texas, 34 degrees, foggy and slush.

http://www.padens.blogspot.com/2015/03/cowtown-half-marathon-new-personal-best.html

Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

RR from my Paris Marathon:

Short:

On Sunday, I ran the Paris Marathon with a time of 4:34:11, two seconds off my PR.  I am not angry at my time, but I am disappointed that once again, my asthma has killed my chances of having a good race.  The time is really not important to me and a minute or so PR would have left me more frustrated, as I know I am much faster than this.  But when you basically run the last half of the race at easy pace and almost PR after an asthma attack, there are some good things to take away from this exercise, right?

Long:

Two years ago, I registered for the Paris Marathon, only to have my husband switch jobs and canceling our vacation because he was unable to take the time off.  So, this race has been on my sights for a while.  The race is always held on the first weekend of April, unless that week is Easter week, in which case it moves to the second weekend. Unfortunately, I managed to register the year where Easter fell on race day so I ran a week later with much warmer weather (the weather last week was gorgeous).  In fact, I am glad it was rainy and cloudy on Saturday; otherwise, race day weather would've been worse.

I decided to make this my goal race for the Spring, especially after the Space Coast Marathon and Chicago, both the faster marathons I had run in close to 2 years and a huge improvement from before and after my surgery.  So, I quit most of my marathons after Disney, canceled my 50 miler race, and concentrated on this race.  I ran Disney much faster than I expected, even after running a HM the day before, so I knew I had a good chance to improve and maybe PR.  If you had asked me in January whether I would be running the paces I am running now and had a chance at a huge PR, I would have called you crazy.

Training went perfectly.  I improved in leaps and bounds.  Even while training for the DNF 2013 Chicago Marathon, my paces were not this fast.  My current PR pace is my GA pace now and I was able to run tempo paces without asthma issues.  The weather in Miami from January to early March cooperated with that.  We finally had some Winter weather in the mid 60s and 70s, and low humidity.  My asthma was nonexistent and my breathing capacity jumped from 450 to 500 (peak flow meter numbers, not sure what this means as a percentage).  Based upon my workouts and the HM I ran with 5 easy and 8 at MP that felt like a walk in the park, we had an idea of where I would be if I run a marathon.  Remember, the heart rate does not lie.  And then, taper started.

The first thing that happened during taper was that my chest got congested.  The weather here turned to shit and my asthma woke up after that.  I twisted my foot on the Monday before the race and it was hurting on and off especially after the flight in (however, it was not even an issue during the race).  However, and I think the most crucial thing that happened was on the Tuesday of the race.  Someone at the office thought that painting the samples for the renovation on that day would be a great idea, even if I was at the office at the time.  I had asked to be told whenever the renovation was ongoing so that I could make arrangements to either work from home, work from Broward, or take the day off.  But someone thought painting samples would not be a big deal.  I don't blame them; I never thought painting samples in the walls would hurt my lungs like it did.  My congestion went ballistic.  I never got a clear chest after Tuesday.  But, meh, I have been here before and ran Chicago, Space Coast and Disney congested, it wouldn't be worse, right?  RIGHT?  So, I went to Paris knowing this might not be the goal race I wanted but still optimistic.  After all, I had my Krispy Kreme and Mtn Dew, what else would I need?

Since my husband didn't have too much time available, we flew on Thursday night, arriving into Paris on Friday at noonish, and left Monday afternoon.  We have been to Paris once before, so we made the best of it with the time we had.  We missed a couple of things we wanted to do but I suspect this will not be our last trip there (not if I can help it, LOL).  I asked hubby to find a hotel near the race, or at least a train ride away.  We found one in the 7th Arrondissement, near the Eiffel Tower, my favorite monument.  In fact, we had the chance to get a hotel room with a view of La Tour, and we took that chance.  This is the view from my room:

The fact that the hotel was really affordable was a plus.  It was also a very nice boutique hotel with only 5 rooms per floor and 6 floors.

Once we were in Paris, we headed to the Expo, to pick up my packet and look around the expo.  I had heard the expo was bigger than Boston and, although I have not gone to the Boston expo, this was really the biggest marathon expo I have been at, including NY, Miami, and Berlin (the biggest ones I have seen).  I picked my number and found myself on the athlete's wall, probably the second time my name was up there but the first time I was there to see it:

After the Expo, we walked around the city, got an early dinner at a nearby restaurant (the are where we stayed had at least 15 restaurants in a half mile radius) and went to bed early.  We were exhausted, especially since the seats we chose for the flight were by the galley (the plane map didn't show that). We never slept a wink since there was always something going on in that area all night.

Saturday was very cloudy, windy, and rainy.  It had the perfect marathon weather if the race was on that day, except the wind.  I knew the clouds and rain would help on Sunday, because the forecasts varied all week from a high of 70F to a high of 68F.  The low depended on Saturday's weather.  We continued visiting sights and enjoyed the city.  Visited my favorite place (The Eiffel Tower) and had lunch in one of the restaurants there (not the big expensive Jules Verne but one located on the second level).  That was a neat experience.  Since my corral start at 9:30am and I had to be there at 9am, I went to bed at 11-12am (my usual) and tried to sleep.  I went to bed with a migraine and because of that, I woke up very dehydrated.

Race Day:

I tried to hydrate as much as I could without issue, but there is so much you can do with only 3 hours until race day and not wanting to stop for the restrooms along the way.  We arrived at the Arc de Triomphe a bit before 9am, visited the restrooms, and headed to the corrals.  The race has 54,000 athletes, yet it is very well organized.  But our corral was full and it took me almost 20 minutes to make it into it.  My corral started after 9:40am.  The bandanna was for the tunnel; I am glad I brought it since I needed it.

From the get go, I felt bad.  I knew it all week but I didn't want to accept the fact that this was not going to be a good day.  So, after my first mile felt off, I switched to my long trusted HR view and kept it there, trying to keep my HR in check.  The first 9 miles were towards the sun. There was no shade and no respite from it.  It was sunny as hell, but there was no wind (thankfully).  I was never clustered between runners (except for a few areas with only 1-2 lanes of traffic for athletes) and I didn't have to pass a lot of runners throughout the race.  I love the fact that the race provides 33cl water bottles at every 5K point, which are easily carried throughout the race and provide sufficient fluids, unless you are very dehydrated like me (more info on this later).

The first water station was a nightmare (at the 5K point).  The street goes from 4 lanes to two and there was a cluster of people trying to get a bottle of water.  It took me around 30 seconds to get one and start my trek out of the cluster.  That was the story for all water stations.  The first half of the race went without incident, except I was getting slower and slower and I knew something was going to happen eventually.  I just wanted to postpone it to the later part of the race.

Paces:

Miles 1-5: 9:51, 9:32, 9:29, 9:38, 9:46 (water station)

Miles 6-10: 9:34, 9:42 (uphill), 9:36, 9:55 (uphill), 10:16 (water station)

Miles 11-13: 9:44, 9:55, 9:56 (2:08 for the HM point)

At this point, the rolling hills are gone, or so I hoped, but I still had the tunnel which could hurt my asthma.  I was so worried about the tunnel all throughout the race, I missed the signs of an asthma attack at Mile 14.  My HR went up at least 10bpms and there it was.  Cough, cough....  After I stopped for a bit to breathe, I continued on but slowed down the pace.  The tunnel was somewhere between Miles 16 and 17 but thankfully, the pollution and smog in there was not as bad as I expected.  Besides, the damage was done; the asthma attack was there.  Right then and there, I decided to just phone it in.  I knew I was going to finish around my PR and at that point, after an asthma attack, there is no point in pushing.  It became a game of survival, one foot in front of the other, don't you dare have another attack, type of thing.  Even running at easy pace felt hard after the attack (and my HR was still high), so I made the right call.

Miles 14-16: 10:07, 10:03, 10:20

Around Mile 16, I got a side stitch, just like I did during Space Coast.  It lasted until the end of the race.  Whether my prednisone had something to do with it, I am not sure, but I have only taken Prednisone twice for a race and both races have had bad side stitches, so coincidence or not?  I didn't walk as did during Space Coast but I had to slow down during those miles where the side stitch was worse (or when the breathing got worse).

Miles 17-20: 11:09 (water station), 10:29, 10:51, 11:01

Miles 21-23: 10:35, 11:29, 11:38 (water station)

Miles 24-26.2: 11:35, 11:11, 11:49 (water station), 10:05

The course changed a bit so we didn't run under the Eiffel Tower like some pics of the event show, but running towards the Arch at the end of the race was awesome!  All the sights throughout the race were neat as well.

That if I had not stopped at the last water station, I would've PRd?  Yes.  Do I care?  No.  I don't want a few seconds PR, especially in a race I did this poorly.  I know I am way faster than what I ran on Sunday.  I am not even sore!  So, really, I want my PR to come on race much like my current PR, on a perfect day with no asthma, when I feel invincible.

After the race we continued walking around Paris (I walked all day and my legs were fine), and enjoyed some recovery drinks to feel better:

And that on my face is sunburn!

Thanks for reading!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

npaden

Congrats.  Sounds like a really neat race.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

petert

4/20... Boston marathon

2:59:10

my first Boston, and my first sub-3:00:00!   This was a p.r. of about 4 minutes for me.   Was awesome.

course was difficult, and crowded, plus many fast folks.

It was cold, rainy, & windy.

tried to draft when possible, and take optimal trajectory, but too crowded generally for best path.

first half tried to go as fast as I could, but not TOO fast.  As I understand it, Boston is easy to get swept up in too fast a pace.  Tried not to go faster than 6:40/mile at any point during first half.

second half, tried to go as fast as possible, especially when hitting downhills.  Tried to keep faster than 6:40/mile as much as I could.

Last 10k, went all out.

splits were perfect, every 5k and overall cumulative split was faster at each point.

Crowd support was awesome, even with the rain.  Wellesley girls were crazy-loud.

did the best I could, super happy with the race overall and my results.

BeeRunB

4/20... Boston marathon    2:59:10

my first Boston, and my first sub-3:00:00!   This was a p.r. of about 4 minutes for me.   Was awesome.

A little late coming across this Pete. Awesome performance. 2:59 at Boston is no easy feat. WTG! 

TODAY'S RACE:

Jog Days of Summer 5K

Chastain Park

Atlanta, GA

Ron (runnerclay) recently gave me a friendly kick in the ass to get out and run a race, so I took it as a sign from the running gods (since Ron is a resident enduro-deity in this forum). So I decided to run my first all-out race in almost 3 years. Ron, wearing his famous knee brace and looking even svelter and fitter than the recent pic he posted, ran up alongside of me at the beginning of the second mile.  We ran together and talked until we hit the monster hill. He then pulled away on the hill and left me in the Georgian red dust. He went on to beat me by nearly 2 minutes.

It was a tough course with 1 very long monster hill in mile 2, and 2 other big hills in the last mile. The home stretch to the finish line was a steep incline.  Fun race. About a 1000 runners, and well-organized as usual by the Atlanta Track Club.

Since I haven't raced in awhile, I wasn't sure how to pace it, so I ran by HR. I kept HR in the high 170's for most of the first mile, the mid-180's in the second, and the mid-190's in the third. Placed 12th of 36 in the 50-54 (I'm 54), though I was listed in the 55-59 (placed 19th of 34 there, they were actually quicker overall than the younger group). I'm happy with the run. I'm currently a very fat runner and it was hot. So I'm good with it.

Based on my last MAF test, the MAF predictor chart suggested I could run an 8:52 pace in a 5k (my MAF 1st mile was 12:48). Today was 8:57. Considering variables, the chart was in the ballpark.

datahol

75º  90% humidity, sunny

pace....ave HR

1) 8:16  170 bpm

2) 10:01  186 bpm

3) 8:41  194 bpm

.11) 0:51  195 bpm (highest 197) (pace 7:54)

chip: 27:49

pace: 8:57

Good to see Ron (and many thanks to him).

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

TimeCumulative TimeMoving TimeDistanceElev GainElev LossAvg PaceAvg Moving Pace
                        8:08.1 8:08.1 8:08 1.00 31 82 8:08 8:08
                        9:08.8 17:17 9:07 1.00 132 11 9:09 9:07
                        8:08.6 25:26 8:09 1.00 62 130 8:09 8:09
                        0:46.1 26:12 0:45 0.11 -- -- 6:41 6:32
                        26:08 26:08 26:08 3.10 225 224 8:26 8:26

Jimmy it was good to see you. Good race time. I was sure I changed your AG. I notice I registered you twice.Next time I will get you in with the younger and slower guys. HR

145 161
                        162 177
                        163 179
                        179 183
                        158 183

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Darkside  Labor  Day  Marathon  and 25K

Enter fee is bring food to share.

Race is at Luther Glass Park --P'tree City.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

Darkside  Labor  Day  Marathon  and 25K

Enter fee is bring food to share.

Race is at Luther Glass Park --P'tree City.

Legs don't feel too sore today from the 5k we ran yesterday, Ron. I thought they would more, considering I haven't been running outdoors in so long. I thought my quads would be toast today form the downhills, but no, not too bad at all.

25k on the golf cart course in Ptree City........mmmmmmm......I ran that 25k course in 2012, and the one tip I'd pass on to anyone is to watch out for golf carts zooming around corners. These aren't golfers, but the older part of general population and how they get around town. And the carts don't have governors on them I don't think. They were going fast. Anyway, as for the Labor day run, I'll see how I feel the days leading up to it, as I haven't run longer than 7 miles in awhile.  The aforementioned 25k the Darkside Running Club puts on in November  is definitely on my radar. Fun, well organized race. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Legs don't feel too sore today from the 5k we ran yesterday, Ron. I thought they would more, considering I haven't been running outdoors in so long. I thought my quads would be toast today form the downhills, but no, not too bad at all.

25k on the golf cart course in Ptree City........mmmmmmm......I ran that 25k course in 2012, and the one tip I'd pass on to anyone is to watch out for golf carts zooming around corners. These aren't golfers, but the older part of general population and how they get around town. And the carts don't have governors on them I don't think. They were going fast. Anyway, as for the Labor day run, I'll see how I feel the days leading up to it, as I haven't run longer than 7 miles in awhile.  The aforementioned 25k the Darkside Running Club puts on in November  is definitely on my radar. Fun, well organized race. 

You can always stop after the 1st lap. It is more of a social gathering than a race.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

obiebyke

I just ran my first race in a looooong time: the Big Gay Race 5K in Minneapolis. Ran with a friend who's much faster than I am when she's in shape, but she hasn't run in months. I committed to sticking with her. Turns out, I'm pretty sure I could've PR'd if I hadn't. I ran the first mile well under my PR pace and felt strong. She needed to walk, though.

It was a long course, so 3.46 miles in 41:29, by my TomTom. HR 159/184. I'm happy with it.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)