Low HR Training

MAF progress update + MaX HR question (Read 371 times)

Hey guys,

I've been a member of this group for a while, but I don't post very often. I prefer to read what others write Smile

I've been running for a couple of years now, although not as regularly as I'd like. For most of those 2 years, I've respected my MAF number of 180-33=147 (33yo). When I first started running, my average pace was 14min/mile. Now, on a good day, where its nice and cool, I can average in the mid 9s to low 10s. I suppose if my nutrition was better, alcohol intake was less, didn't work shifts, was more consistent, I'd probably be seeing much better results. In other words, if I wasn't half assing it. However, for me, this is incredible progress, and LHR training was a big part of this.

So for the past 2 years I've been training completely under my MAF, without doing any speed work. I'm signed up for my first race ever in Sept which is the Montreal HM, so I've decided to do a little speed to work on my anaerobic system. I'm also feeling like I'm at somewhat of a plateau too so hopefully this will kick my training up a notch. So, in order to figure out what my training zones will be, I went out today and did a maximal heart rate test, and I'm wondering if I came anywhere close to my MHR. This is where I need your opinions.

Using 220-age, I arrive at 187, so I estimated that as my MHR. I warmed up for 12 mins at MAF, and then ran for one minute at 160bpm. Then ran one minute at 170. Then ran one minute at 180. At this point, my HR was only slowly inching up and I had to really kick it up a notch. The last two mins I ran at a full sprint, and the highest I was able to get my HR was 189. During those last 2 mins, my HR was going up at a pace of maybe 1 beat for every 20 secs, and I had to earn every one of them. I don't know if I had anything left in me to make it go over 189.

So, my question is, does this look to be an accurate indicator of my MHR? Should I make any adjustments? What are your thoughts?

wow, that's awesome progress, you should not be unhappy with it at all!

as for your MHR, I would think you got pretty close to it. that is, if I understood right you were taking about 17minutes to get there yes?

hey and just for the heck of it, there is a "test" that I don't really recommend :P but it is interesting because it is a lot easier for the legs - this is if you try to run in really really hot and sunny (preferably no shades! direct sun) weather without any previous heat acclimatization. your HR will probably max out within half an hour without having to run too hard. well, at least it works like that for me. just make sure you stop before you faint =)

("hot" depends how well you tolerate heat by default. something that feels extremely hot for you.)

I actually don't know if other people's hearts respond to extreme heat in the way it does for me, so that's another reason why I don't recommend this "test"=)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

If you felt like puking when you hit the 189 you were at or close to your max hr. I've felt that way during a 2008 echo/stress test when my hr hit 137 which is the max my cardiologist was looking for so I use that and sometimes 140 as my my max hr. Took a bit to get my wind back and they were doing an echo cardiogram while I was gasping for air! LOL Kept asking me to stop wiggling... heck I was choking!

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

If you felt like puking when you hit the 189 you were at or close to your max hr. I've felt that way during a 2008 echo/stress test when my hr hit 137 which is the max my cardiologist was looking for so I use that and sometimes 140 as my my max hr. Took a bit to get my wind back and they were doing an echo cardiogram while I was gasping for air! LOL Kept asking me to stop wiggling... heck I was choking!

I would not say you have to feel like puking. I don't usually feel like puking when I'm near or at my maxHR.

at other times I did have stomach discomfort even at lower HR than maxHR, so I think this depends on several things.

what I feel like when I'm near maxHR is that it is hard to push the HR to go up more even though I'm running pretty hard by then.

add a couple beats to what you got and call it good. In the long run a few beats here and there are not really going to change your zones.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Consistently Slow

Do a 5k race at 8:30 pace and the last mile as fast as you can. Looking at your log I see an 8:19 mile. The  5k will give you training paces/ HR  for the HM. Team Oregon pace wizard.

Run until the trail runs out.

2014***1500 miles 09/28/14

50miler 13:26:18

Race Less Train More

Pistol 100 ----01/03/15

Ana Trason  "Living Her Life"

"The Marble in The Groove"

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the input. I would like to do a 5k in the future like runnerclay suggested and see if a longer sustained effort will make a difference, but I guess for now I will stick with 190 as my MHR.