Low HR Training

Great Van Aaken Essay, Steve. Questions. (Read 349 times)

jimmyb

Just read the Van Aaken "sticky" that you wrote, Ultrasteve. Nice work. Pretty much sounds like Maffetone training. With the main connection maximizing the aerobic system without overstressing the body--staying healthy. My only injury came when I did too much "anaerobic" work (using Mafffetone's definitiion) and not allowing for recovery, while running high mileage (the foot when boom! at the very end of a long run that I was running at 5 mile race pace). You live and learn. Maffetone suggests not going over 90% MHR as he found that running paces that maxed you out at 90% were just as good as running all those crazy. complicated interval sessions at 5k pace or faster (95%) for all sorts of distances. He also says that for most runners one session a week is fine for 4-10 weeks, and not for very long. Of course, the rest is all under MAF. Have you found that the 50 meter intervals is enough anaerobic work to sharpen before the race or season? How many weeks before the race or season would you start these? Thanks for creating that awesome essay. --Jimmy

Log

Wasatch Speedgoat

Hi Jimmy.... Thanks...I first found out about LHR training after reading Van Aaken's book back in 1980 and have been practicing that type of training since. What I find with the short sprints is that is works my fast twitch muscles without really increasing my HR. Yeah it starts to increase, but by the time it gets there I'm done and am recovering....plus there are no rules. I do another one when I feel totally recovered! I like doing these 2-3 times a week during one of my runs, which are just about all at a low HR. To each his own and you need to find what works for you. I like to run most of my miles at a real comfortable pace ( I rarely wear the HRM anymore) and step it up as I mentioned above. On this training I ran a 1:42 half marathon in 85 degrees at age 56 a couple of months ago. Steve
      Life is short, play hard!
      jimmyb

Thanks, Steve. That is definitely worth an experiment. I'm thinking when my anaerobic phase comes around I'll add those in on 1 run a week in the last mile. In a way, it's like fartlek. Just do some short bursts. 1:42 is a good time for an old kahkah! Cool Keep going, UltraEsteban! --Jimmy

Log

Wasatch Speedgoat

Thanks....and because i did qualify for Boston, I was going to train for a 3:25 (at age 56), but there are some races down in Virginia that I'm interested in. I've done Boston 13 times and maybe I ought to leave it that way Wink Jesse...you going to run Horton's Beast? I'm thinking of it Shocked
          Life is short, play hard!