Low HR Training

an example on how diet affects running (Read 1121 times)

well, I'm just stupid and silly. I should have known this was going to be too hard. just because I had no problem going out for the 2nd run in that relay race, does not mean I was prepared to run two hard runs within 24 hours. okay not all out racing but hard enough for this recovering body.

my hamstrings are still only at 95%, and when I was finally able to run 3 miles, 6 days after the event!!, it showed me that this race stuff resulted in a crappy regression, manifesting as a terrible heart rate drift, it started out normal and then drifted from a post-warmup 156 up to 172 by the end of the 3 miles (pace did not change much). in a normal run I would go from 156 to 158-159 in that amount of time if keeping pace even.

this drift was just like the drift I had back in the spring. I did not even feel the drift, RPE wasn't changing at all, but my HRM watch obviously wasn't lying.

the good news is that at least I was able to run 3 miles (30minutes), 2 days before it was less than 20 mins before giving up and that short run felt like it lasted for over an hour. now I felt good, 30 mins felt like 30 mins or even less time, but the HR shows it's no good.

(in the short run 2 days before, I had a very low HR, clearly four days was not enough to get HR back to normal, RHR was also very low. RHR is normal now.)

I feel really low, why did I have to be dragged back down to the abyss like this?

anyway, next friday I'll finally have the follow-up blood test done.

well it all resolved in the end. I guess it was just too hard stuff after minimal training=)

anyway, got the followup blood test results, hemoglobin is at 13.3 and ferritin at 96. this supplementing worked surprisingly well. it means I should be able to start training more!

one more note here to conclude this thread for now =P

I could not believe the 96 value, because I never heard of anyone who managed to get it this high and thus essentially complete iron replacement therapy in less than 3 months. I also had taken my iron in the morning of the test 1 hr before the blood was drawn, which was maybe a stupid idea.

so I went and got retested 6 days later. I did not take supplements in the last 36hours before the blood test. ferritin still continued to go up to 102.

(hemoglobin stayed at 13.3. no signs of inflammation.)

that's like an increase of ~1 ug/l daily even though I somewhat cut back on supplementing for those 5 days.

so I would say, my earlier tips I listed in this thread about iron supplementing seem to work very well... hope the tips will help other people as I read everywhere that iron is notoriously hard to get absorbed unless your supplementing is optimized.

I'll cut the supplementing down to a very minimal amount, 36mg / day at the same time that I start training harder and see a few months later if ferritin is stable or higher or lower or what. I don't cut it to zero, because I know that my diet can't maintain my iron levels if I'm training and I'm not going to start eating red meat.