Low HR Training

I was skeptical at first but now............... (Read 214 times)

HOLY COW THIS WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big grin I actually ditched the HRM for the summer months at the suggestion of another coach I've been working closely with. I still ran by feel and remembered what it felt like when my HR would get out of hand. I just started using the HRM again this week since the weather has cooled to high's in the mid-high80's and I've been pleasently surprised. I thought for sure that I would be starting at square one again with the HRM but I've actually improved quite a bit. My runs from earlier this year were consistently in the 15 minute mile range. Today I did at trail run with the HRM and my AHR was 139 and I averaged a 13:26 mile on a very hilly trail!!!! There was a flat section of the trail that is newly rocked and about a mile long. I ran two loops of that. On the first loop I averaged a 12:21 mile with an AHR of 137 and no walk breaks at all!!!!!! When I used to run in the 130's I was pulling out 16 minute miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just about to give up on this slow easy training but I'm glad I didn't because this stuff works. I'm now easily able to keep my HR below my MAF. It's gotten so much easier with time! MTA: The first about four months of this year was spent building my base using a strict HR limit.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
    lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Terie, that is outstanding work. You are to be commended. With your enthusiasm, it's clear you've got a bright running future! lg
      ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
      Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
      ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)