Low HR Training

Fear of Flying (Read 266 times)

northrup

Sorry for the incomplete post earlier, I'm not sure what happened. I was trying to ask anyone who's been doing MAF training whether they had a problem letting go of running at a MAF heart rate. I want to increase my weekly long run to 13 miles but I know I'll likely go over MAF at some point and stay over MAF for most of the run. Do I have a strong enough base to do that? I've been so careful to stay at or under MAF(130) for the last 6 1/2 months that I'm afraid to take the next step, I think. Maybe I've got this all wrong and I should be doing a few faster HR runs regularly now. I have done three or four fast 5K's just to see what I can do but I made sure they were well-spaced out so they didn't interfere with building an aerobic base. I've been very happy with the results MAF running has given me but I am a bit paranoid about being over MAF for an hour or more. Should I just be patient and wait for the MAF magic to kick in or can I push things a little? I hope I'm making sense. I read everyone else's posts and I know I'm really out of the loop about all this stuff. Thanks for any and all advice.

Just Be

6 months of base conditioning is plenty, as long as you've been consistent with your running, IMO. If you have logged at least an hour or more of running per week for the last 6 months, I think it's safe for you to start doing some faster runs, but don't go crazy with them! Smile Good luck.
      BeeRunB

What are you afraid of? What are your goals? What do you mean by "the next step"? How does this relate to your goals? Looking at your log, looks like you are doing very well under MAF for a 60 year old who just started running in October. 9:20 pace on a 10k run is awesome. 8:49 for an 8-miler. Now, if you plan to build up to 13 miles ( I suggest you do it slowly--you are still a newbie--which means your body needs time to adapt--increase by no more than 10%, 5% is better for a newbie) there is no reason you can't stay under MAF if it is what you want to do. If you build to 13 slowly, your awesome paces under MAF ought to go with you. Plus, you can adjust your HR plan for longer runs--make a bigger zone e.g. if you normally run between 120-130, then start lower, like a 115-130. Now, if you have determined that you no longer want to run under MAF, and want to experiment with higher HR's during a training run, then go forth with an experimental mind. Know why you are doing what you are doing, and how it relates to your goals. Keep track of your training load and how your body is responding (tiredness levels, aches and pains, bodyjoy, etc.). Keep track of as much information as possible. I.E. You know why you are doing MAF training--it is clear how it affects the fibers and what it does to your aerobic system (it loves it, it supports it, it gives it muscle chocolate). You've run hard 5k's during your base training--what's the difference between a hard 5k and a run that goes over MAF by +10? (if the 5k didn't hurt you, why would a MAF +10 ) Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Mainly, because you are going to make them no matter what you do. Sometimes they result in dead legs, overtraining, crankiness, and injuries, but I don't know any runners who have worked hard and realized some potential who have been free of such things since day one. Moving over MAF in your training since beginning running 6 months ago may or may not be a mistake. There is only one way to find out. I wish you the best. You are doing great. --Jimmy
        northrup

Thanks runner92 and jimmyb for the responses. I appreciate the 'bringing down to earth' replies. I don't know why all of a sudden i'm starting to feel unsure of my direction. Maybe because I've started reading the running groups regularly and I'm seeing all the options that are out there and the directions other people are taking.My running has been in such isolation up to this point. Anyway, I do feel more refocused now and have decided on a plan for tomorrow's long run. I think I will cover the 13 miles just for time on my feet but I will also try to run at a HR of 115-125. If that means walking/running throughout that's fine - that is how I have always built up my mileage. I haven't ever tried a whole run of any distance at that much below MAF before though so it'll be interesting to see what happens. It's never occurred to me to try and run that much below MAF. I won't be pushing it so am prepared to stop after 10-11 miles if I feel I'm going too hard. I haven't had to set my HR monitor alarm for a long time. Not looking forward to the evil beeps Angry
          BeeRunB

Here's an example of one of my 15 milers: MAF (141) I was using 134 as a ceiling. I start low enough so there is minimal slowing in the end. This absorbs the inevitable cardiac drift that I always experience. 12/9/07 bike trail ave pace/hr 11:50 102 10:35 114 10:34 117 10:42 118 10:36 121 10:57 125 10:31 123 10:41 125 10:26 126 10:52 128 10:47 130 10:48 131 10:54 132 10:55 134 10:57 134 --Jimmy
            northrup

Well, I did the thirteen miles this morning with somewhat mixed results. I started out slowly with the intent to increase my pace to HR of no higher than 125 by the end. It became obvious my HR was starting to get ahead of me by mile 10 so I backed right down. All in all though I'm pleased with my first attempt at 13 miles. My legs held up well although I did feel a little weary by the end. This turned out to be a hillier route than I had thought so probably wasn't the best choice for increasing distance. Here are the pace averages for today's run. Unfortunately I forgot to turn off my timer so the total time in my log includes my walking cooldown. 12:30 110 12:40 112 12:30 112 11:45 114 11:46 114 10:12 116 10:12 116 10:00 115 10:00 118 10:50 122 11:50 125 11:55 118 12:55 112
              BeeRunB

Northup, Your total time was 2:29:05 Your average pace was 11:28 Nice run! Enjoy your recovery day! --Jimmy
                northrup

Thanks Jimmy, now that it's over it does feel like a good run. I have a nice leisurely bike ride planned for recovery tomorrow. Hope this gorgeous weather holds up. Also, thank you very much for calculating my pace without the cooldown time included. I've edited my log to reflect that.
                  BeeRunB

You're welcome. Cool
                      Good runs, folks! Not much going on for me this week. Had a few good runs. Next weekend is my wife's full marathon, so we are just logging some taper miles for now. After that I will start getting "serious" about my training again. (diet, weight, etc) I'm not sure which fall marathon I'm going to run yet, but we did sign up for the Army 10 miler last week. It's a race my wife has been wanting to run since she is former Army. Hooah!