Low HR Training

Boston: With HR Monitor or Without HR Monitor (Read 451 times)

So what should I do. Run with my HR monitor or without it. One of the pluses with the HRM is the fact that you can monitor you current state throught the race. Trying to limit yourself from going out to fast or going to slow. Another thing, especially for me, is that a determent is the obsessive nature you have when checking the HR. Such as "Oh no, I'm 1 beat to high"... etc. etc. I am assuming that most people here wear there HRM for the entire race. This morning was my first non-HRM run since I can remember. It kind of felt good to be free of the monitor....

El Presidente

I will wear mine, but only for recording purposes as I will not be watching my heart rate during the race. I just like having the info to look back on from time to time.

"I train conservatively so that I can race recklessly."

run-easy-race-hard

I can't tell you enough (as a MAF trainer) how good it is to use the monitor during Boston. If you're not a MAF trainer then it really doesn't matter. Now, I should define "use". I do not mean you should pick a heart rate and stick with it. (I know my best marathon heart rate and even I don't pick a heart rate and stick with it - I still make many adjustments during the race based on how I feel.) If you're going to do that, then you will be doing exactly what everyone warns about. However, if you have an idea of what your anaerobic threshold is (a great estimate is "true" MAF/.85), then you can realize that you'd simply better stay away from it unless you're beyond about mile 20, at which case you can approach and go over it over the last few miles. For the first few miles (assuming you have any control over your pace at all - last year, I was trapped for at least 3 miles and couldn't do nearly what I wanted) you can use the monitor both to keep yourself under control and to be not overly conservative. Ultimately, if you can keep from obsessing over your monitor (unless you're over AT - then you should obsess and get yourself down), then use it. But use a mix of heart rate, pace, and feel, where feel is the number one thing. It will really help you not waste the downhills. For me, the only uphill that was anything over a rinky-dinky little bump was just past mile 20. The earlier ones (if there were any) I didn't notice.
          I can't tell you enough (as a MAF trainer) how good it is to use the monitor during Boston. If you're not a MAF trainer then it really doesn't matter. Now, I should define "use". I do not mean you should pick a heart rate and stick with it. (I know my best marathon heart rate and even I don't pick a heart rate and stick with it - I still make many adjustments during the race based on how I feel.) If you're going to do that, then you will be doing exactly what everyone warns about. However, if you have an idea of what your anaerobic threshold is (a great estimate is "true" MAF/.85), then you can realize that you'd simply better stay away from it unless you're beyond about mile 20, at which case you can approach and go over it over the last few miles. For the first few miles (assuming you have any control over your pace at all - last year, I was trapped for at least 3 miles and couldn't do nearly what I wanted) you can use the monitor both to keep yourself under control and to be not overly conservative. Ultimately, if you can keep from obsessing over your monitor (unless you're over AT - then you should obsess and get yourself down), then use it. But use a mix of heart rate, pace, and feel, where feel is the number one thing. It will really help you not waste the downhills. For me, the only uphill that was anything over a rinky-dinky little bump was just past mile 20. The earlier ones (if there were any) I didn't notice.
          MAF/0.85 for me is 171 which I don't plan on seeing until the crest of Heartbreak. I was planning to average 163 until HB. MAF is 145 for me. Just turned 36, and have experience. 144/.85=171. I was going to gradually work up to 163, 155ish 1st mile 160 next couple 162 next couple, 164 next couplt until HB. Then maybe bump it up to 166ish after HB if I have anything left. I don't think I plan on avging 170 any mile. I think I'll wear it and monitor it to make sure I'm not too high (i.e mid-to-high 160's). It just that with the carb depletion thing I just did my HR is all over the place and being the worryer that I am lack confidence that it will go back down on Monday. For example, last Thursday I did a 2 mile W/up at MAF-8, Then 3x2miles with 2 minutes rest averaged 6:54/mile pace and AHR for each repeat was 159,160,161. I don't think I'm that fast so I was thinking 7:05-7:20 for the first down hill miles.... Anyway my mind is just going crazy worrying about my body, the weather, etc.....
            Double post sorry

run-easy-race-hard

Sounds like a good plan - I certainly didn't want to imply that you should be running at AT or even too close to it for a while. My AT is just over 177. I generally start out in the high 150s and low 160s for the first few miles, then up into the upper 160s, holding high 160s for a while, then around 170 for most of the race. If I feel good, I'll just let it climb for the last few miles. That sounds about similar, in a relative sense, to you. But, most importantly, you don't need to fixate on a heart rate. Just make sure that you're not continually climbing after the 4th mile or so. If you're like me, you'll be quite a low at a fast pace for the first few miles. If not, you're probably going too fast. I know my best average marathon heart rate has been 171.
              BeeRunB

Do what you think would be the most fun.
                BeeRunB

P.S. But keep yourself in check when the Wellsley gals ask for a kiss...

run-easy-race-hard

Do what you think would be the most fun.
                    Oh, come on, you whiny liberals are always spewing out that nonsense.

run-easy-race-hard

P.S. But keep yourself in check when the Wellsley gals ask for a kiss...
                      Ok, so that's a step in the right direction.
                      BeeRunB

Oh, come on, you whiny liberals are always spewing out that nonsense.
                        Is this better? "do what ever makes your anal sphincter slam shut"
                        BeeRunB

Ok, so that's a step in the right direction.
                          Here's an excerpt from my report in 2006: "When I got to the famous Wellesley College party at mile 13, some of the girls looked at me, pointed to their cheek, and said "Kiss me." I instantly realized it was a tradition--and sometimes tradition is good. So, I planted one on the cheek of the one to whom I felt most psychically connected, and ran on to my glory. My legs no longer felt tired."
                            so?
                            Cours1976

Tracking your heart rate during a race can provide valuable insights into your current effort level and help you adjust your pace effectively. It can prevent you from starting too fast and burning out early or running too slow and potentially missing out on your performance potential. For some individuals, heart rate monitoring can be motivating and provide a sense of control over their performance. Like when playing basketball in basket random, I can choose to wear sneakers or sneakers. Or maybe don't go at all. It's as simple as what you need and what suits you.