Low HR Training

Finding your HR? (Read 35 times)

Chilerunner

Hi.Its my first thread so please go gently

Ive been running for about 5 years now.Im going for my 4th Marathon in April 2016,in Santiago de Chile.

Ive just purchased the Polar ft4.Its my first HRM.

My RHR is at 53 but Im finding it difficult to get my Max HR.Theres a lot of info out there but I dont know what one to decide on.Is it just that simple to deduct your age from 220?

The Polar website is recommending the Karvonen method.Is this a good method?

Does anyone have any experience following the Polar marathon plans?

Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

Gracias de Chile

BeeRunB

The 220 method is really inaccurate (sometimes10-20 beats off). If I used the 220 method my MHR would be 166 (it's really about 200). The best way to find MHR is to run for awhile then do some hard quarter mile sprints until you feel you can't get it any higher. It's okay to be a few beats lower than true max. At the end of a hard 5-10k race is a great way. You'll usually reach it sprinting that last half mile.

You can also get a V02max test somewhere that gives you Fat-burning info  and Anaerobic Threshold heart rate. Also,  you'll often get within 5 beats of MHR in such a test.  You can use the Fat-burning info to determine your MAF (see below). Using both the MAF and AT heart rates to train for aerobic, tempo, and interval work. MAF and AT heart rates are good to know as they are the points where the energy systems shift.

Other ways to HR train are The Maffetone Method which is described in the boilerplate sticky and you don't have to worry about MHR for aerobic training. The formula will put you in the general vicinity of the point where you first start to engage anaerobic fibers. It's not completely accurate for all ages, or for every individual but it gets you in a vicinity that is good for endurance building.

As for the Karvonen Formula it still relies on an inaccurate MHR calculation.

Chilerunner

Thank you for replying.

Ive read a lot that the 220 age method is not very accurate.

Ive been doing some sums and according to them my:

Low end is 123.2

High end is 149.6

If i followed the Polar zone graph my numbers wouldnt match.Or do i just follow the zones?Im a bit confused by this.

http://www.polar.com/en/support/tips/Polar_Sport_Zones

Gracias de Chile

BeeRunB

For almost all HR training methods you need to know your MHR for aerobic zone training, as is with the Polar zones, except for The Maffetone Method .  Even Dr. Maffetone suggests a 90% MHR for speed work during the anaerobic training phase and so even he includes the idea.

Basically for training you should run a period of time (12-16 weeks) every year in which you only run aerobically. This will train your endurance, slow-twitch aerobic fibers. For most, running in a zone of 65-75% MHR should do the trick. the MAF 180-formula will most likely put you in that zone. The rest of the year, you can some anaerobic workouts. Tempo runs (marathon pace, half-marathon pace for example) can be done around 80-90%. You're AT falls in that zone. Intervals are generally done around 95%, though Maffetone suggests 90% for less stress.  I agree with him in that the AT has been crossed at that point and the completely anaerobic fibers have been engaged, no need to go higher if you'r just running endurance races.

Anaerobic work is not necessary more than 1-2 a week during those periods, and perhaps not at all if you're racing weekly.

Chilerunner

Thanks Jimmy.

I think ill run around 6-7k this Sunday at easy/moderate then sprint the last half mile as you mentioned earlier.Ive an 8 miler this Fridsy so I should be fresh for Sunday again.

Would it be possible to do it on a treadmill?

After that ill compare it with the 180 formula to see where im at.

BeeRunB

Thanks Jimmy.

I think ill run around 6-7k this Sunday at easy/moderate then sprint the last half mile as you mentioned earlier.Ive an 8 miler this Fridsy so I should be fresh for Sunday again.

Would it be possible to do it on a treadmill?

After that ill compare it with the 180 formula to see where im at.

You might have to do a few sprints if you're running easy to moderate. You can certainly find your MHR on a treadmill. Incline can help you get there a bit faster. Use the same logic of a long warm-up. Good luck. As you move forth you might find you'll get a higher one during a race, since you're running hard the whole time. Good luck.

Chilerunner

Ok.Ive decided to run to the gym early Sunday morning.(5k)Then ill do the 30 minute exercise.10 easy then 20 flat out.

I did my scheduled 8 miler today  instead of Friday so id be extra fresh come Sunday.

Thanks for your input Jimmy

Chilerunner

So I did the test this morning.I jogged to the gym then I got on the treadmill.

I ran the first 10 mins fairly easy then I ran the last 20 flat out. It wasnt easy I can tell you.

Anyway,my MHR came out at 149/150.I checked my LHR as soon as I opened my eyes three days in a row this week and it came out at 53 BPM.Im happy I did it this way.Its true, the 220 method is in-accurate.

So now I have the following:

RHR 53.

MHR 149.

According to my Polar marathon plan I wont be walking to much, at least I hope not anyway.

I love running

Inasko

Update for 2023 and join territorial io to have great time in the io multiplayer game.

bernardsande

Hello! Congratulations on your upcoming fourth marathon in Santiago de Chile, and on purchasing your first heart rate monitor (HRM), the Polar ft4. I understand geometry dash subzero that you're looking for information on how to determine your maximum heart rate (MHR) and whether the Karvonen method recommended by Polar is effective.

timothyferriss

To get a more accurate estimate of your max heart rate, you might consider a field test, such as a maximal effort run or stress test, under the guidance of a healthcare professional 2048 or a certified trainer.