Low HR Training

Garmin and Low Heart Rate training (Read 653 times)

I use my Garmin Forerunner 610 to train with.  I have alerts set at a heart rate greater than 130 and lower than 120.  My target heat rate is 130.  I run on small hills on my trail course and it is hard to keep my heart rate consistent.

Is it OK to run at less than my 130 target rate or am I supposed to stay as close to 130 as possible without going over?  Today on flat ground my new "normal" pace seemed to get a heart rate of about 122.  Should I speed up or is this OK?

How do others use their Garmin and the alert function?

Thx!

Chris

BeeRunB

Anything MAF and below is fine at anytime, especially during the base period. Dr. Phil suggests spend as much time as you can at MAF to get the max benefits. But many have found progress staying well below it.

On hills you want to keep your HR at MAF or below, so if you have to walk, do so. Even Mark Allen was doing some walking on hills in the beginning.

I don't use the alert function on any of my watches. I just don't like the thing beeping at me. And there always those days when the HRM is giving one of those high readings (i.e. 165) before you get warmed-up---beep, beep, beep.

I just glance a few times a minute. On hills, I look a little more often.

Using a tight zone near MAF (i.e.130)  like 125-131 or 128-31 works fine. Shouldn't be hanging too long at 131.

--Jimmy

Thx Jimmy.  I like the high alert becasue I do not want to go over.  Apparently being under is not  the worst thing but I will try to keep the 125-130 range.

Chris

Shondek

Anything MAF and below is fine at anytime, especially during the base period. Dr. Phil suggests spend as much time as you can at MAF to get the max benefits. But many have found progress staying well below it.

On hills you want to keep your HR at MAF or below, so if you have to walk, do so. Even Mark Allen was doing some walking on hills in the beginning.

I don't use the alert function on any of my watches. I just don't like the thing beeping at me. And there always those days when the HRM is giving one of those high readings (i.e. 165) before you get warmed-up---beep, beep, beep.

I just glance a few times a minute. On hills, I look a little more often.

Using a tight zone near MAF (i.e.130)  like 125-131 or 128-31 works fine. Shouldn't be hanging too long at 131.

--Jimmy

I seem to be getting problems with my Garmin 305 giving me high readings at the start,does anyone know what causes it or are they actually accurate readings sometimes it can take up to an hour before things stabilize.I dont seem to have any issues while walking or on a treadmill. 

BeeRunB

I seem to be getting problems with my Garmin 305 giving me high readings at the start,does anyone know what causes it or are they actually accurate readings sometimes it can take up to an hour before things stabilize.I dont seem to have any issues while walking or on a treadmill. 

It's almost a contact problem. Wet your strap with some water before starting. I've seen those high readings with both a Garmin and a Polar, but usually only when it gets colder, and the air is dry, and my body isn't sweating much at the beginning. I'll have to wet the strap a few times.

Try putting on the strap  10-20 minutes before the run. Sometimes that helps.

A cell phone can sometimes make things woggy. If you carry one keep it on the opposite body from your watch hand, or turn it off.

Battery in the strap could be  getting weak as well.

--Jimmy

I purchased some electrode gel to "wet" the contacts.  Seems to work well.

DC Rainmaker has a good article on heart rate spikes.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/troubleshooting-your-heart-rate.html

Chris

Shondek

Thanks guys interesting article .I dont think water is that conductive so Im going to make myself a nice salt/spit slurry and try and earth myself by grabbing onto one or both radiator pipesCool

I'm a disgusting human being, so I just lick the contacts on the HRM before I start.  Otherwise, it's wonky until I get to sweating.  Of course, I also find spit to be the best anti-fog coating for glasses...

I've also noticed it's wonky if too loose.

The beep function, for me, seems to make it harder to keep in my target zone.  I spend too much time running until I hear the beep then slowing down.  With it off, I seem to back off naturally and find it much easier to run by feel, though that was frustrating and hard at first!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

Shondek

I spat some salt on it this morning and everything is back to normal ..kind of a missed my walking breaks which happened all last week .not sure if salt was necessary..ah well back to the heady heights of 13-30 pace

BeeRunB

I'm a disgusting human being, so I just lick the contacts on the HRM before I start. 

LOL Cool

Thanks for the link. Good one.