Low HR Training

Eating Before, During Running (Answer from Dr. Maffetone) (Read 4305 times)

2011 Redding (CA)

Calling "formationflier" and "jimmyb" ... Both of you are experienced marathoners and long-time low HR training methods disciples ... so your opinion is needed on the subject of nutrition DURING a marathon. For the past two years, I have been able to avoid "bonking" in marathons by taking GELS every 50-60 minutes. It will be some time before my aerobic (fat-burning) base is re-built, so I hesitate to drop GELS altogether over the next six months or so. Is it better to gradually reduce the use of GELS in marathons, or go cold turkey and hope the fat-burning system is well enough defined? I'll try to keep my HR in the MEP zone for as long as possible in the marathons, but expect it will rise towards the end and shift my body into a sugar-burning mode. With more that 70 marathons completed to date, I know how to run ... but not how to run smartly with low HR methods. Thanks for the help.

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)

run-easy-race-hard

probably just to phase down, taking perhaps one less in each subsequent race. It's been a long time since I've taken a gel in a marathon, but I did a period of 8 months of low HR training before my next marathon so it was easy to drop them altogether.
      jimmyb

I think this falls within the realm of experimentation. See how your MAF tests go. If they are improving steadily for awhile, with an overall big improvement, an experiment running in the MEP zone (from Slow Burn) and taking nothing but electrolytes during a marathon might be worthwhile. See what happens. It's something I haven't tried yet, but have it on the docket, awaiting Gov.t bailout money to finance next marathon. 70 marathons! --Jimmy

Log    PRs

2011 Redding (CA)

Thanks "formationflier" and "jimmyb". I'm scheduled to run the Redding Marathon on Sunday (Jan 18) and will see what happens the first half of the race. Finish time is not a big deal this early in the year, so maybe the MEP zone (Slow Burn) will work just fine. Appreciate the help. C'mon bail-out funds.

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)

Happy

formationflyer, No gels in a marathon, you said. Do you drink gatorade or take in any kinds of liquid nutrition when running a marathon? Or just water? I would like to train myself so I can run an entire marathon w/o needing anything but water - I have a bunch of food intolerances that I deal with and it would be so much easier if I didn't have to incorporate nutrition. I assume from what I have read this far that it all depends on how efficient I become as a fat-burner, right?
            5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

run-easy-race-hard

formationflyer, No gels in a marathon, you said. Do you drink gatorade or take in any kinds of liquid nutrition when running a marathon? Or just water? I would like to train myself so I can run an entire marathon w/o needing anything but water - I have a bunch of food intolerances that I deal with and it would be so much easier if I didn't have to incorporate nutrition. I assume from what I have read this far that it all depends on how efficient I become as a fat-burner, right?
              I have gotten to the point where I can get through the marathon at full marathon pace without taking in any calories. However, if there is a sports drink, I will drink it. It just doesn't matter either way. For example, in many cases, the sports drink is one of the zero (or almost zero) calorie drinks and I've had no problem with those. Yes, indeed, it does have to do with how efficient a fat burner you are. There was a time a few years ago when I couldn't get through a relatively slow 20 mile run without at least 3 gels and sports drink.