Low HR Training

2 short runs left before marathon on Sunday (Read 606 times)

First off I'd like to say I haven't posted much on here because I have found the answers to any questions I've had browsing this forum.

I've been tapering down and actually put on a couple pounds in the process.

I actually feel that the tapering down has hurt me rather than help me.

Based on my workouts...am I ready for this?

I know my times are slow but then again I'm 5'7" and 190+. (I was 230 when I started this adventure running a telephone pole then walking a telephone pole)

Also the Newport Marathon is a hilly course and I haven't done any hill training...

I actually wasn't nervous til I found out that about 20 friends and family coming to watch me finish. LOL

http://www.amicamarathon.com/courseinfo.html

also my first goal obviously is to finish but I would like to do it at a sub 5hr pace. ( is this wise based on my training times)

jimmyb

Hi Illday,

Tapering can sometimes feel yucky, but it works. Your body is repairing itself, recovering from the unusual pounding you just gave it during training, and by the time the race comes, it will be ready for the race. I can't say if 5:00 is a good time for you or not, I would need more information. The goal of just finishing in your first one is not a bad idea. As far as the hills go, make sure you don't go into oxygen debt on the way up, just maintain the same feel. If you do that, you will slow down on the uphills, then you can go a bit faster on the downs.

I remember being nervous for my first half marathon and marathons. Part of the fun! Once the race starts, you'll relax. Newport is beautiful and that will help.

It looks like you did 20 miles in 4:18 on a training run at 137 bpm average. 5:00 pace is about 11:27 per mile, and it looks like you did at least a few runs about that pace. You'll have to decide whether that is doable for you for 26.2.  I'm sure you could finish the race no problem at your long run pace. And I know that you can finish the race  even if you run into the wall. Though the experience will be different.

Start out slow and easy and take 3-4 miles to work up to your planned pace or HR.

I wish you the best, Have fun as much as possible. And when it gets tough, just keep going.

Remember to hydrate (but don't overdo it), and take some carbs in after 30 minutes or so.

And use a LOT of Bodyglide on your inner thighs, inner arms and pits, nips, and in between your

toes. If you have a spot that likes to blister, cover it with tape or a bandaid.

Good luck!

--Jimmy

Log    PRs

also my first goal obviously is to finish but I would like to do it at a sub 5hr pace. ( is this wise based on my training times)

hard to say based on training times. race times are usually more useful. maybe if you have a HM time and a 5 / 10K time, we could see how much your pace tends to drop as the distance increases. I see you mention average HR here and there... but that is pretty individual again. the 4 hour run, were you doing that one intentionally much slower than planned race pace?

the 4 + hour 20 mile time was a humid day and I took it real easy beause I had to work a 12 hour shift rite after the run.

I think I'm going to find someone about my speed and pace off of him. I'll just try to finish this year and work on my time next year...just picked up my goodie bag and bib today (psyched). I still look more like a guy entering a hotdog eating contest than a marathon but I'm pumped to finish this thing. Wish I knew about bodyglide about 2 months ago lol.

Definately owe this base I've built up to the info provided in this usergroup.

jimmyb

the 4 + hour 20 mile time was a humid day and I took it real easy beause I had to work a 12 hour shift rite after the run.

I think I'm going to find someone about my speed and pace off of him. I'll just try to finish this year and work on my time next year...just picked up my goodie bag and bib today (psyched). I still look more like a guy entering a hotdog eating contest than a marathon but I'm pumped to finish this thing. Wish I knew about bodyglide about 2 months ago lol.

Definately owe this base I've built up to the info provided in this usergroup.

Marco calculator

The Marco calculator might come in handy for you. The HR plan it gives is pretty solid. If you run by HR, it might take the pace guessing game out of the picture.

On Bodyglide--some of us learn the hard way about that. Felt like I had been nursing a baby for about 6 days (not that I'll ever know what that's like, but if it is anything like what I experienced, then women are truly goddesses).

I wish I was up there in Newport running with you. I love racing there!

You'll finish, no problem. Have fun! The last  few miles will be the most fun you ever had. Roll eyes

--Jimmy

Log    PRs

yeah, the marco calculator is pretty sweet, I've never seen anything like it elsewhere.

of course the big weakness in it is that it assumes everyone with the same maxHR has the same LT, etc...

the fun thing is, for me it says to start with 159 (then up the intensity a really little bit), I would do something similar for starting intensity if I was to run a marathon now and I would increase it in a similar way. the only problem is what it gives me as pace for 159 doesn't really match Big grin (9:21 pace, pfft, it is more like 10:10 :P and a few weeks ago it was even slower than that.)

also it assumes more HR drift for 159 than what I have in reality Smile but that won't make up for the pace mismatch, sadly Sad

Finished @ 5:15...unbeleivable experience. Thanks Jimmy and cmon. Your posts on this forum have been essential to my training.

jimmyb

Finished @ 5:15...unbeleivable experience. Thanks Jimmy and cmon. Your posts on this forum have been essential to my training.

Awesome, I!

Congratulations!

5:15!

Keep going!

--Jimmy

Log    PRs

Consistently Slow

Congrats. Did you use the HR monitor.

Run until the trail runs out.

2013***1500 miles

50 miler

Race Less Train More

Ana Trason  "Living Her Life"

"The Marble in The Groove"

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

congrats! glad if I could help in any way. Smile

avg hr154

max175

now how do I get faster? lol

avg hr154

max175

now how do I get faster? lol

Run more, mostly slow.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

labhiker

nice job and congratulations!!   Good race. 

labhiker

gregw

Run more, mostly slow.

and watch what you eat.  That other thing Van Aaken says Smile