Martial Artist Runners

Thomas Kurz's articles (Read 460 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I ran across some articles by Thomas Kurz that have been published in Tae Kwon Do times. He's got 56 of them published that I know of. The first one is http://stadion.com/column_stretch1.html. The 56th is http://stadion.com/column_stretch56.html. Change the number to jump to a specific article. I ran across it because I was doing some research on strength training and martial arts. I hit on article 18, http://stadion.com/column_stretch18.html, titled Conditioning for Sports and Martial Arts. One thing that struck me is that the author asserted that it's not uncommon for quality martial arts schools to be doing hundreds of reps of situps, pushups, squats, etc. I can easily see scottaculous' school doing that. Big grin The author's main point with that is that physical conditioning is necessary in order to put in the training necessary to really master the art. You can't do 100+ kicks on a heavy bag if your leg and core muscles can't handle the load; you'll hurt your back. That makes sense... I do have to agree. On the other hand, in setups like mine with 45 minute classes and a family atmosphere, the emphasis is more on building self confidence and making the art accessable to everyone. You don't have to be a hard-core athlete in your 20's and in top physical condition in order to do what is asked in our classes. I've learned that in commercial tkd schools at least, you can't *really* expect to use tkd to get in shape if all you do is go to 2-3 classes per week. Your skills will improve with time and practice, but you won't get in great shape. You need to get that outside of class. If I were suddenly thrown in to a school that expected its students to be doing hard core conditioning exercises like is suggested by the author, I'd be in a lot of trouble. Because I've not trained like that. My aerobic conditioning has come exclusively from running. And my strength training... well... we do some occasionally in class. So once a month or so I'm doing 30-40 situps and pushups. I can't do 30-40 full length pushups in a row and with good form. I haven't trained for it. In other words, I am not able to meet physical conditioning needs solely by going to tkd classes.

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

So, what I'm getting at, is 1) Do you think that it is the responsibility of the school to provide the physical conditioning that would be needed to practice the art to the highest levels? 2) How do you keep an art accessable to the general public and still offer training for those who wish more? 3) It seems to me that for a school like mine, the ideal balance would be that the student does the conditioning required on their own, at home, and then comes to the class for the technical instruction and drills. However, home conditioning isn't even mentioned until the student is ready to prepare for black-belt testing level. How is the average student to prepare adequately?

Roads were made for journeys...

I believe physical conditioning should be a student's responsibility away from class. Conditioning requires more time than a class session. Class time is meant for drilling techniques and perfecting the details. The instructor can certainly show the students how to combine conditioning into training but it should not be the focus of the class. Afterall, the students paid for martial arts lessons not exercise classes. Of course in combat, every little advantage helps. Having said that, although conditioning helps, the end result for a martial artist is to use just enough power to get the job done. In kobudo, proper technique requires little muscle because it uses body mass and mechanics to give the technique force. One of my instructors is a 100 lb woman who can easily throw someone twice his weight. Inexperienced students use muscle to make up for the lack of technique. Muscling it through if you will. The order of learning a technique, in my school, is movement, distance, speed, power. Often just doing enough repetitions with perfect movement and distance will lead to speed and power. The proof is in watching the masters effortless glide through the techniques. Some conditioning exercises I've done are push ups with fists, back of hand, and fingers; Leaps in all directions and surfaces, rolls in all directions and surfaces, vertical jumps with feet tucked underneath and landing quietly, katas with a very low center of gravity (this burns your thighs!), and hip, wrist and elbow stretches. Our highest kick is up to a guys stomach so leg stretches are uncommon. More hardcore conditioning focuses on toughing the fist, fingers, and foot by hitting trees and grasping sand. Then there is endurance and stamina training. This is why I run. Finally, all of this training results the important important conditiioning: mental conditioning. Distance runners will understand this part.
        Software

Thomas Kurz?

So, what I'm getting at, is 1) Do you think that it is the responsibility of the school to provide the physical conditioning that would be needed to practice the art to the highest levels? 2) How do you keep an art accessable to the general public and still offer training for those who wish more? 3) It seems to me that for a school like mine, the ideal balance would be that the student does the conditioning required on their own, at home, and then comes to the class for the technical instruction and drills. However, home conditioning isn't even mentioned until the student is ready to prepare for black-belt testing level. How is the average student to prepare adequately?

1) I think that the school should provide a small amount of conditioning, and provide information on what kind of conditioning would be good for the student, based on the student's rank

2) My school does conditioning/warm-up (then stretching) for the first 15-20 minutes of a 1-hour class - for the "All Ranks" classes, it's usually not *too* hard, and they always let people know to not push themselves to far, that they're fully welcome to take a bit of a break during the exercises if they need to. They usually make the warm-up a bit more intense for the "Advanced Ranks" (Blue & up) classes, but with the same caveat. Advanced rank testing is certainly harder - last advanced test I took was about 4 hours long, with it being moderate to high intensity the entire time - beginning rank test only last about 2 hours typically. My school also offers separate 1-hour "Black Belt Conditioning" classes that are mandatory for Browns to get invited to test for Black, which (from what I hear) are extremely intense to get the student prepared for the 8+ hour Black Belt test. So, a variety of conditioning options and routines, depending on a students current rank and physical capability.

3) I would think that a school should talk about home conditioning well before Black Belt testing, as the more fit someone is, the less likely they'll accidentally hurt themselves by asking their body to do something it's unprepared to do while practicing.

My 2 cents, at least. Smile

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)

Gig

To add a little more (because you said pretty much my thoughts, ausmusj1), for all our classes, we have students at all fitness levels. We start with 10-15 minutes of conditioning and stretching, giving basic exercises and then adding on to make them more challenging or more accessible, so everybody can participate. I think it's motivating for the less conditioned students to fully participate.

For push-ups, we might give an option for plyometric or offset push-ups, but also if people can't do all the regular push-ups, we'll have them transition to planks.

I feel that conditioning has to be a significant part. In sparring, we train a lot of slide kicks, and double kicks. It's hard to do a low/high kick combo without a strong core.