Martial Artist Runners

Brown belt test (Read 301 times)

Gig

Not a lot of posts, here. Hopefully people are still checking in, because you need to wish me luck. I test for my brown belt next week (Saturday, January 30). My daughter is testing for her brown belt, too. It's the first time we've tested together. I hope I can focus on my own stuff because I'll be more interested in what she's doing!

Gig

Two days to go. I feel pretty ready. Fighting is definitely my weak spot, but I've been working on my footwork all week--three specific things--that feel like they're really helping, but also I really need to keep drilling them. I told this to the guy who showed me what to work on, and he said yeah, I should keep drilling them for another four or five years.

Chris

Greetings Gig,

I'm new to the forum but couldn't help chiming in to wish you well.

I'll tell you the same thing I've told many brown-belt candidates over the years...

1 - Good Luck!

2 - Luck has nothing to do with it.

I remember my Brown Belt test more clearly than almost any other, and it's been QUITE a while!

Just remember that the only thing you can do to get better between now and then is to relax and visualize, then hit that test like it's a stack of boards.

You can't break boards by aiming -at- them; You have to aim -through- them, and see yourself on the other side, then don't give up no matter what.

You'll get it, one way or the other, and so  will your daughter.  The best way to help her is to set an example and give it everything you've got.

- CB [bows]

Gig

Thanks for the great response, and the message. For two weeks I've been reminding myself to relax during the test. If I can manage to remember that one small detail, plus visualizing, I know everything else will fall into place.
          Gig

The test got snowed out this week. We'll try again, probably next Saturday.

Chris

Hopefully, all will go well...

Another week of visualization and stretching...and no injuries!! 

Good luck!

Gig

Thanks.

I just read your profile, and I have to toss in my two cents about smoking. Other than running, the thing that helped me was that whenever I craved a cigarette, I drank a glass of water. It helped me quit, and kept me from gaining a lot of weight. Whatever method you're using sounds like it's working, so keep it up!

Chris

Thanks Gig!

I'm drinking gallons (literally!) but I agree that it helps.  Lately, I've been struggling to stay on track after removing the nicotine replacement (puffers). 

It helps to think of my 1:45 half marathon goal.  Right now, I'm running 9 minute miles in training, but I'm working on speed! 

Chris

Well, Gig,

I was wondering if you got your test in, (between all of these miles!!) and how it went.

- Chris

Gig

I can't believe I didn't post that. I tested two weeks ago, and nailed it. I'm a 2nd grade brown belt now. (We go white, yellow, green, blue, 2nd brown, 1st brown, black.)

The one thing that didn't go quite as I would have liked is that I held back a bit during my second fight because I thought I had to fight a third one, and I was near exhaustion. Turns out that I only had to fight twice.

The material I'm learning now is a lot tougher. My goal is to earn my 1st brown by early July (before karate camp). That's ambitious, and I won't be crushed if I don't get it, but I know that I can if I stay focused.

Chris

Glad to hear it, Gig!!

Not to preach, but I think that MA is distinctly different than running in (at least!) one key way.

In running, we set our next goal as soon as you cross the finish line for your current one.  It helps keep us moving forward!!

In MA, it's sometimes (often, I think) inadvisable to think concretely about the next test goal as soon as you've finished one.

Sometimes your instructors want to change the quality of your work to reflect what came up on the test.  Sometimes you simply need some recovery time.  Often, the future-focus in just counterproductive in itself.  It's best to spend some time in the "now".

In running, we would say, "I'm just concentrating on putting in some quality miles."

Run without the destination in mind.  You'll get where you're going.

Congratulations to you and, I assume, to your daughter as well!

- Chris

Gig

Sage advice again. But, my school is very good at focusing students on improving what we already know as well as learning new material. Students are encouraged to work with students. So, for the first few weeks as a brown belt, I've had a lot of opportunity to work with newer blue belts, which is really helping me to not immediately forget stuff.

I need goals to function. In fact, I don't have a goal for today at work, so I'm here instead. (I really should get some work done.) For MA, my timeline for getting to the next belt is more a reflection of the amount of work I'm going to put into it. Although I'll have to know two new katas, and six new JJ holds, and some other things, they're really looking at an overall skill level.

It might be better to state my goal as intending to put in the amount of work I believe will get me there--three classes per week, three to four MA workouts per week at home, and running/conditioning five times per week. If I put in the work consistently, but it takes me nine or twelve months instead of six, I'll be fine with that.

I don't mean to sound like I'm arguing with your advice. You're actually making me think this through much more thoroughly.

Thanks!

MTA--I'm such a dolt sometimes. Yes, Sofia earned her brown belt the same day. When I mentioned to her how great it was that we got them at the same time, her response was "No, Daddy. I got mine an hour before you."

Gig

Looking back at your comments, Chris, and it worked out that I spent more than a year working on the next belt, and I'm glad for it. My plan now is to work on my new belt material backwards. I always learn katas first, then one step, then jujitsu, focusing on sparring as little as possible. I'm going to try to change that up somewhat. No reason in particular except to try something a little bit different.