Martial Artist Runners

Welcome! (Read 357 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome! This group is designed for runners and martial artists trying to balance the needs of their sports. Please introduce yourself, your art, how long you've been studying, etc. What kind of challenges have you run in to with being both a runner and a martial artist? I currently study taekwondo and am trying to balance that with running. I started tkd in 2002, stopped in 2004 with an ACL tear, started running in 2005, and re-started tkd at a different school in 2007. I currently both run and attend tkd classes several times per week. What's your story?

Roads were made for journeys...

I did a little TKD as a PE requirement for college. At the end of the semester, I earned a yellow belt by breaking a piece of wood. It was ok, but I didn't connect with the art partly because I don't have that leg flexibility and also I didn't see any practical value for it.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

For the most part, I personally view taekwondo as sport rather than a fighting art. I'm sure other people would disagree with me, and it probably depends a lot on your school and teacher. I also think it doesn't make good crosstraining for running. Tongue Too much anaerobic stuff, too much chance for injury. Not that that's stopped me yet... Evil grin

Gig

Hi. I just stumbled upon this group. I started taking Tang Soo Do a it more than a year ago. My wife has been a black belt in TSD since she was a teenager, but stopped doing it for almost 20 years. Then, she decided to enrol our then-6-year-old daughter, and start up again herself. After about six months of that, I decided that I needed to get in on the fun. Having a wife who can whip my ass is one thing, but my little girl?! I'm a green belt, now. DD is a blue belt (The school goes white--yellow--green--blue--2nd brown--1st brown--black.) It seems like a pretty eclectic school. They teach TSD about half the time, interspersed with traditional jujitsu, Brazilian jujitsu, street fighting/self defense, and a lot of aerobic workouts. I'm definitely a runner first, a (would be) martial artist second, but the focus may shift temporarily in a few weeks, after my marathon on November 22. Everybody there gives me a hard time because I usually run before my class. They think I'm showing off. But really, I'm there waiting while DW teaches the pee wees, and then while she teaches DD's youth class. What else am I going to do? The school is Klotz Institute of Karate. Ken Klotz is an excellent instructor, and a really great person; the type who is always doing something for the community. In this video, Ken is on the right tossing a board into the air. Another of the school's instructors, Ryan London, is on the left. http://www.youtube.com/v/skb8BrXeeT4&hl=en&fs=1 (I don't quite have my own video highlights. I'm working on it. Smile
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Gig! That's a nice spinning back hook kick Ryan's got! I've never seen anyone do throwing with boards before. Neat idea! (Thanks for fixing the link.) Keep right on running before/after class. They're just jealous! Tongue As to other things you could do, though, you could stretch for a half hour, practice forms, work on a specific drill or technique you have trouble with, etc. But running's a great choice. IMO. Of course, I'm a runner too so maybe I'm biased. Big grin