Martial Artist Runners

Hello! (Read 94 times)

Hi All-

Just joined the group, thought I would introduce myself. Smile

I'm James, 31, just got in to running 2 months ago when I found some awesome looking obstacle races that make it seem worth it to run (5k Spartan Sprint, 5k Run For Your Lives zombie run, and a 10k Race the Reaper grim reaper/Halloween-themed run). 

I got in to martial arts about 2 years ago after my kids got a month of training as a present, and I saw how much fun they were having. Smile  I took about a year off due to work/time constraints, but decided to make it a priority again last fall, and I recently received my Orange belt in Shaolin Kempo (for those not familiar - it's a core of Shaolin Kung Fu, and adds the good bits from Kempo Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, Chin Na, and Mongolian Wrestling).

I'm pretty happy about finding this group - I was wondering if anyone else on RA was a martial artist as well as a runner, and now I know. Smile

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)

Gig

Welcome to the group. I've been doing martial arts for about four years. My daughter started when she was 6, and then my wife, who had been a black belt since she was around 14, started teaching at the same school. I got bored and decided to join them, and I love it. Working to move up in belts alongside my DD has been the most rewarding part of the whole experience.

Working to move up in belts alongside my DD has been the most rewarding part of the whole experience.

It is a lot of fun. Smile Actually, the thing that motivated me to reprioritize my life and get back in to training was when my oldest son made orange belt (I had only made yellow before I had stopped going) - couldn't let my 6yo outrank me! Wink

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)