Martial Artist Runners

Welcome yourfacemyfoot/Johnathan (Read 415 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi there, fellow Taekwondo-er! Big grin What do you like about tkd?

Roads were made for journeys...

Hi, well I've been doing tkd for about 12 years now and it really supplies me challenges and taught me a lot over the years. Competition has always been really exciting, teaching others has helped me learn a lot, and people there are like family. Tae Kwon Do has helped me in my running also. It can sometimes be dangerous for running (as I had shin splints for the whole cross country season) but nonetheless is a great sport.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

How'd you get shin splints from tkd? I've only heard of getting it from running. I'm trying to picture what you were doing that would have given you shin splints, and I'm drawing a blank. I agree that teaching others really helps you learn. You never know how much you DON'T know about something until you try to explain it to someone else...

Well I didn't get shin splints from tkd, but it sure prolonged the healing... and I found out how much pressure is put on your legs from just doing simple kicks on a bag or from landing from advanced ones. Surprised Yeah, I can't imagine that either haha. It was probably a combination of running around on a mat my whole life to suddenly running above 3 miles a day (when I had had a horrible form) and not giving my shins a chance to heal at all! You're totally right about that; luckily I started teaching by only helping out during warming up and stretching and slowly working my way up.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Ahhhhh! Now I understand! Big grin Yeah. I tried to join cross-country when I was in 10th grade. I was swimming and doing karate and liftig weigts at the same time. That was my first encounter with an overuse injury! Blush