Martial Artist Runners

New here...Aikido (Read 355 times)

Hi! A few years ago I quit running when I started Aikido. Then I started running again seriously when I could t keep up with training and had to drop out. Now I'm back training in Aikido again and still maintaining running. Anyone elso in that art? Last go at it, the shikko hurt my feet enough to where running took a back seat. This time it seems ok, but it's only been a few weeks.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Don. What's shikko? I had some problems with jumping & landing on hardwood floors hurting my feet last week, and I'm curious if it's a similar thing. Welcome!

Roads were made for journeys...

It's knee walking. Done properly you're supposed to be "up on your toes" which can overstretch the tendon. I think I got heel spurs last time (3 years ago). Shikko on expert village
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh, my!!!! Shocked While it looks very cool, it looks INCREDIBLY painful! Wow. I study taekwondo, and we NEVER do anything on the ground like that... Then again, you can get hurt jumping around, too. Blush Done that more than once.

Gig

I might have to give that a try, just to see if I can get the hang of it. (I'm a sucker for punishment.) I'm studying tang sudo mainly, but the school is very open to other styles. We do a bit of Brazilian jujitsu and a few others.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, Gig. I tried out a Tang Soo Do class at the YMCA last week, and was surprised at the similarities to taekwondo. Perhaps it's because they're both coming from Korea? Wink In the class I tried out, the first two basic forms were practically identical, the stances and kicks were similar, and the principles of self-defense were very much like Hap Ki Do, which is often taught alongside taekwondo. The hand attacks were similar too. Interesting. Differences I noticed: TSD vs TKD Height of kicks was not emphasized - a "high" kick was about belt-high instead of head-high. Stances were deeper. More emphasis on joint locks & self-defense. This class was less aerobically challenging than the tkd ones I'm used to. More emphasis on hand techniques and blocking.

Hey Wingz - how to you get all those gizmos on your log? On the kneeling/seated techniques in Aikido, cut/pasted: SuwariWaza: Techniques executed with both uke and nage in a seated position. These techniques have their historical origin (in part) in the practice of requiring all samurai to sit and move about on their knees while in the presence of a daimyo (feudal lord). In theory, this made it more difficult for anyone to attack the daimyo. But this was also a position in which one received guests (not all of whom were always trustworthy). In contemporary aikido, suwari waza is important for learning to use one's hips and legs. Hanmi Handachi: Position with NAGE sitting, UKE standing. Training in HANMI HANDACHI WAZA is a good way of practicing techniques as though with a significantly larger/taller opponent. This type of training also emphasizes movement from one's center of mass (HARA).
                Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm guessing you're talking about my summary page? In the upper right hand of your summary page there's a link that says "customize". Click it and you can add those rolling totals, weather, etc. The "Training time" graph I made under the Reports section first, and saved. Then I put it in through the "customize" link.

I don't do aikido but quite a few of our jujitsu (not brazilian) techniques are similar, especially in terms of using your hip for everything. We do the shikko. It burns for three or four months and then it goes away. We have a few katas from that seiza position. I think a lot of people on RA take running first and then martial arts second. I'm the opposite. I rather not run so I can do more training.