Martial Artist Runners

Welcome Scottaculous! (Read 420 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

How's it going? I haven't heard anything from you since we first met you over on the beta group. What've you been up to? I think your brother mentioned once that you do martial arts, but that's about all I know. What do you study?

Roads were made for journeys...

Hey there! I've been lurking mostly. With school being out for the summer, I'm going to give me best effort to help my brother with the site. I'll be visiting him this July 4th to get some hands on training. Wink To answer your question I'm studying kobudo. Kobudo literally means "old martial way" and refers to any number of schools of classical Japanese martial arts pre-dating 1868. These arts were developed and intended for use on the battlefield or in personal combat. My school offers training in six of the nine lineages that our headmaster in Japan, Hatsumi Masaaki, is grandmaster of: Gyokko Ryu kosshijutsu, Koto Ryu koppojutsu, Kukishin Ryu happo hiken, Takagi Yoshin Ryu jutaijutsu, Shinden Fudo Ryu taijutsu, and Togakure Ryu happo hiken. Most of my non-black belt training takes techniques from Gyokko Ryu and Koto Ryu and perfecting their basics. It takes about five years to reach black belt in my school. What I take most from my training is not the fighting moves but rather the philosophy and way of life. After each training session, my sensei, who happens to be a ordained Buddhist monk, talks a little about the samurai mentality, how to live in the moment, and be observant and aware. It has been a transforming experience. Smile What about yourself?
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I started with Okinawan Shuri Ryu when I was in high school. Studied for about 3 years before I moved off to college and couldn't attend any more. It's a really "hard" style, and the class fit my (then-) aggressive personality very well. I loved it! Teaching martial arts was the first career I ever really told myself that I'd want to do for a living. Then I decided that I couldn't be purist enough and still make money so I wouldn't teach for a living. We're so idealistic as teenagers! I've been studying taekwondo for a total of about 3 years now. I think that's a fairly standard amount of time for first degree black belt in tkd. I've also been told that really the first three dan levels in tkd are really just considered "advanced student." Makes sense to me from what I've seen. Wink I've goten a lot from martial arts over the years. I think I'll put that in a new post. Please, don't be shy Scott! Big grin

These pics were taken in 2006 at a Japanese festival where my dojo demonstrated. My war face. Shocked Black eye
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Niiice! Looks a lot lke our Kendo uniforms, but I never see those guys do anything without their swords.