Marine Corps Marathon

Weeklies - Week 12 (Read 2 times)

oooohhhh, only 12 more weeks. This counting down is kind of scary.

So I went up north Michigan this weekend. My husband had a 120 mile bike ride, and so I looked around for a race. The town XC team was having one, so I got my SIL to sign up with me. She has only started running again a few weeks ago, so I told her I would stick with her. We were in 2nd and 3rd from last place for most of the race, but then she needed to walk and we were passed. When we got to the finish, I told her to go ahead, I hope I'll never be anywhere near last place again, so I thought this was my chance to be last, and I took it. I was 80th. My SIL was extremely appreciative of my staying with her, and the course was Beautiful. So it was a win-win situation. Then they had prize drawing. They drew sticks from 1-80 and we were called up if we finished in that place. Yep, you guessed it...Number 80 was called.  I won a $10 gift certificate to a local bookstore. So it became a win-win-win situation. I think I would like to actually race this one next year.

After the race run, I knew I needed to get my track work in, and really I hadn't put in much effort at the 5k, so I got dropped off at the local track and got my 4x1200s done. Ran home to my MILs for a total of 9 miles. I will say, I'm pretty proud of myself doing those intervals. It would have been so easy to slack. But....only 12 more weeks!

Damaris, thank you for the course elevation. I'm so disappointed that RWOL deleted all of their old stuff, cause all of the RRs and logistic stuff about MCM from previous years is all gone. I may go over to that forum and ask if anyone has RRs from before. I love reading them. Does your blog have an MCM RR from last year?

I hope your kitties get better. I'm really surprised that cleaning supplies can cause all of that.

How was Cirque du Soleil?

Patty, great job on the 16. I haven't gone over 12 this year. But I did get over 40 miles this week. Your inspiration story is great. I'm always amazed at what "regular" people do. We really can do so much more than we sometimes think. I've heard that somewhere on the MCM course there are signs for fallen marines. I think about that sometimes when I don't want to keep going. I'm kind of dreading that in the race, cause I'm a big cry baby...and there will be tears. Especially now that my son is in the Army, I am more sensitive to that.

URD for me today. Drove home from up north and I'm just too tired to run (okay, after what I just said in the last paragraph...it's kind of ironic).

Docket_Rocket

Yes, I have an RR from the MCM in my blog.  The MCM group in RWOL is the only one I still post.  These people do the race every year (or at least often) so if you have questions, feel free to ask there.  Nice job to you and your SIL on the race/run.

Not sure if I posted about my LR yesterday but it was an awesome one.  6 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

4 miles easy today.  Yesterday was a SRD except for some serious housecleaning which seems to be a good recovery activity, darn it.  Having some Garmin issues, low battery after Saturday's run (3.5 hours but I'm going to need more battery life than that for MCM).  Fingers crossed that deleting old activities will free something up in the watch.

Kim - nice job on the run with your SIL, I love that you made a point to be last and got a door prize : )

Damaris - yay for a great long run and thanks for the elevation profile!

Week 12 makes it sound so close, wow!

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

Patty, don't tell me housecleaning is a good XT activity...I hate house work. I like to move before my windows need cleaning.

I've bought a timex as a backup watch for MCM. My garmin doesn't seem to last as long as I think it should, and I would hate for it to give up on me during the race. (Plus I like collecting watches, and this one was chartreuse)

Damaris, I have never been able to use the words awesome and LR in the same sentence. Good for you.

Did my MP run today. It was supposed to be 5, but I felt so good, thought I'd do 6. Anyway, I used my HRM and my ave HR was 137 and my max was 141. My ave pace was 10:31 (supposed to be 10:52). My miles were 10:40, 10:23, 10:22, 10:31, 10:33, 10:35.

I don't know what my max heart rate is, I've never done that test. But these numbers do not appear to be high. It really looks as if I'm running fairly easy. I guess I'll just keep trying to slow these a bit, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. Now that I've seen my HR I don't feel that I'm doing any damage by running a bit faster. Thanks again for that suggestion.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies.  I did the 6 last night.  Tonight, I have 9 with 8 X 400s.

Kim, how old are you?  Even if you don't have your max, you could estimate it.  The Maffetone Formula is 180-Age and that usually gives my HR at 70-75% of Max (or 143).  I use 155 of Max for marathons, which is 80% of Max, but I think MP should be 80-85% of Max.  Maybe with that you can have an idea (calculate Maf and that should be around 70% of your max).  It's not an exact science but it might give you an idea of where it should be.  Like you said, your heart rate appears to be low so sounds like 10:52mm is too soft for you.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Damaris - wow, 9 miles with 8x400s in the middle, way to go!

Kim - nice MP run!  Sounds like your heart rate is telling you to zippy things up a bit : )

Tonight was my training group - 5.2 miles on the track with a 1/2 mi warm up and ladders.  It's a luxury to let someone else set the pace and just hang in there.  The last one was zippier than I thought it would be but my friend pulled me along - I think we did 400 in under 2 minutes.  Best of all, the garmin is behaving much better : )

Docket_Rocket

And they were hard! 99F heat index and 75DP might have had something to do with it, though.

6 miles tonight.

Nice workout, Patty.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

And they were hard! 99F heat index and 75DP might have had something to do with it, though.

6 miles tonight.

Nice workout, Patty.

Yikes! 99degrees and pretty darned humid, one tough runner, excellent!

4 miles easy this morning.  Legs feel better after running but weren't terrible before.  ITB is behaving pretty well so far.

Docket_Rocket

All of my intervals have fallen on days with the heat index is 97-100F.  So I assume they felt too hard because of that, but I can only wonder, since I have not done structured speedwork in months.  I usually do just fartleks or sprints.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Damaris, thanks for the HR info. I'm actually an engineer, but all those numbers.Oy.. Of course I've been a SAHM for 11 years, so I'm a bit rusty at math.

I'm super busy this week, so running is taking at bit of a back seat. But you two keep up the good work.

6 miles this morning - 1 mi wu, 4 at 10:30 ish pace, 1 mi cd.  Felt good, just a bit rushed to get in the distance in the morning before work but glad I did it!  10:30 is probably my ideal marathon pace so this is a good test : )

Kim, hope your busy week goes smoothly!

Damaris,  your attention to speedwork is inspiring - not my favorite type of run but I can see the benefits when I do it.

Docket_Rocket

I hate speedwork too!

I did 6 miles last night, and 13 this morning.  Working from home has its benefits (able to run at 6am and not being too early for me).

Kim, run as much as life allows you.

Patty, nice run!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I switched my schedule a bit to fit in the long run Friday evening because I had a RRCA coaching class all day Saturday and Sunday.  16 miles Friday with friends (yay) and dinner after at my house (lots of fun). Seeing the advanced marathon plans some of the groups built for the class gives me more appreciation for my plan : )  10 easy miles the day after the long run?!

That 16 was tough though, the humidity was noticeable and I was actually really thirsty while running - I drank about 60 oz of water & electrolyte drink, thank goodness there was a water fountain at the halfway point.  If I'm reading the weather chart right, I think it was close to 90 degrees with dewpoint of 70 degrees when we started out at 3:30 pm.  Maybe not "brutal" but definitely noticeable : )

2 easy miles yesterday - legs felt really tired starting out but feel great today, even after hours of sitting.

On to week 11...hope you both had a fun weekend!

Docket_Rocket

Oops, I have not checked here all weekend.  I did my 20 miler yesterday and it was a very nice (albeit hot and fucking humid) run.  Very strong run and I could've easily run more, which is good.  6 miles today with a forumite from RWOL MCM forum.

Patty, ouch at the weather, which is Miamiesque.  At that point, it's best to just complete it notwithstanding the pace.  Great job!

Damaris

Fundraising Page