Marine Corps Marathon

How about a Weeklies - Week 15 (Read 3 times)

Anybody up for a weeklies thread? (Kind of like a dailies, but since there are so few of us, we use only one thread per week?)

I'd like to "talk" about my training but it seems so many forums are already tight-knit groups, it is hard to join.

Today was 6 miles, with 4 at MP. I wonder how I am going to run 26.2 at this pace when 4 seems so hard. I'm trying to trust that 15 weeks from now I'll feel differently, but all I can think during those 4 miles is "oh my gosh...I can't do this". Yeah, really motivating. Smile

We are going through a bit of a heat wave here, so I actually got up to run at 6 am. Unheard of for me. Now I'm really dragging.

What is everyone's goal time. I'm aiming for anything that starts with a 4.

Sure! Maybe it'll keep me from boring people at work with my running : )

I ran 4 miles at an easy pace this morning.  Yay for new socks which did their job wicking and not creating hot spots.

I just received my training group's plan so I'll put that into place starting tomorrow.  The 4 miles felt good, very little hip/quad ache and my heart rate indicated that my "easy" pace is a bit faster than it was a few months ago.  That's good because getting in longer runs before work will require running a bit faster than 12:00 min/mile : )

My goal is anything under 5 hours and not making my hip/ITB any worse.  It's actually much better than it was a few months ago so there's hope.

I'm registered for another marathon in early December (I peer pressured my SIL into it so now I have to run it too).  Somewhere along the way I'm going to have to figure out how to manage doing both races.  I did Rocket City marathon in 2008 with Galloway run/walk and survived it but I'd really like to run this one continuously.

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

Docket_Rocket

Great idea!

I have 5 today.

I don't have a goal for this uear's MCM as it is two weeks after Chicago but if I can run it without prednisone and coughing attacks like last year, better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Patty, that seems very brave, to sign up for a 2nd marathon before finishing the first (unless you've done a bunch before like Damaris, then you're just crazy Joking  )   Glad your new socks worked too. I use the Thorlo Experia and I Love them.

Damaris, is Chicago your goal marathon? I was looking at your log yesterday (not in a creepy way, but a curious how much your running way) and it actually looked as if it might have been hotter up here yesterday than down there. This heat is killing me. I don't know how you run in it, almost year-round.

So, 6 easy miles for me today. Okay they were run at an easy pace, but they weren't easy. They never seem to be. The Hanson's method likes to use cumulative fatigue. And boy am I feeling cumulative fatigue. Hope I can hold on until October.

5 miles today with my marathon training group.  Hot and humid but certainly no worse than most of the US right now : )

Following the training plan, I'll be up by about 10 miles this week compared to last week (22 to 32) so I think I need to scale back a bit to avoid a big jump.

Patty

Oh dear, I'm nuts but not quite that nuts ... I ran a marathon 5 years ago and swore off ever doing it again.  Last year the Marine Corps excitement infected me and I started thinking about doing another one.  If all goes well, I'll do my 2nd and 3rd marathons this fall.  I'm totally willing to bail if need be in favor of not injuring myself : )

Hang in there Kimbalion, think of how strong you'll be in the marathon with all your experience of running on tired legs : )

Patty, that seems very brave, to sign up for a 2nd marathon before finishing the first (unless you've done a bunch before like Damaris, then you're just crazy Joking  )   Glad your new socks worked too. I use the Thorlo Experia and I Love them.

Damaris, is Chicago your goal marathon? I was looking at your log yesterday (not in a creepy way, but a curious how much your running way) and it actually looked as if it might have been hotter up here yesterday than down there. This heat is killing me. I don't know how you run in it, almost year-round.

So, 6 easy miles for me today. Okay they were run at an easy pace, but they weren't easy. They never seem to be. The Hanson's method likes to use cumulative fatigue. And boy am I feeling cumulative fatigue. Hope I can hold on until October.

4 easy miles today. And they actually were kind of easy. Even though the "Feels like" temp was 91. I just stayed in the shade, and knowing I was only having to do 4, really helped with the mental game. Tomorrow is my "long" run, which I've whittled back to 8 miles due to the heat.

Patty good luck on the mileage jump. I did that 20s to 30s about a month ago and it really wasn't a problem. Mostly it came from adding a sixth day of running (and warm up cool down miles on some other days). But my plan makes sure that the easy days are really easy pace so I didn't really notice it.

My biggest problem right now is the long run. I used to run my easy days at 11:40 pace and my long days at whatever I wanted (somewhere around 12:00s), but the plan wants my easy pace to be anywhere in the 12s and my long run at 11:40.  I'm usually on pace for the first 80-90% of the run, and then I start to drop off. Since this seems to happen whether it is 6, 8, or 10 miles, makes me think it is a mental problem. So, that is one of the reasons I'm not moving my long run up yet. Seems like I need to hit at least one of them on pace first.

Good luck with your runs today! Watch the heat.

Docket_Rocket

Yes, Chicago is my goal marathon for the year.  And yes, we're under a cold front because it's been raining for 4 days.  I like the rain because it lowers the high to about 86-90F instead of worse.  having said that, there are 3" of water on teh ground and no place to run without getting wet! :-)

I want to try the Hanson's method for next year or 2015.  But I love the plans my coach creates for me although I call his plans the WTF plan because that's what I say every time I read my workout.  In a good way.  Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Kimbalion, as to Hanson's, I have heard the same from week to week (that people feel overwhelmed and wonder if they make it).  Then on race, they kill their expectations.  So, hang in there.

Yesterday, I did 6 X 45sec fartleks.  Today, either 4 miles or SRD because I have a dentist appointment tonight.  Bleh.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

3.2 today, with a group.  It was supposed to be an easy run and it was hot and humid so I didn't argue when the person I was running with needed a walk break.  I didn't realize it would turn into a walk instead of a run though : )  I chose socializing over training this evening.

Damaris, hope the dentist visit went smoothly and didn't interfere with your plans to run.  How cool that you found a coach who challenges you the right amount.

Kimbalion, would it mess up your Hanson's plan to slow the long run down just a bit, say 11:50 or 12 for a few weeks then ease back up to 11:40?  I struggle with longer distances at faster paces too, I'm sure some of it is mental but maybe not all of it : ) I haven't read the Hanson's book so I don't know much about their approach to training.

So I've been reading all of the threads about running in the heat and slowing down etc...but in my head I was stuck that I had to do the pace I was supposed to do. Then when I wrote I was going to do 8 instead of 10 because of the pace problem and Patty said how about slowing it down...maybe it was seeing those two things together, but Doh! Of course it would be better to get the 10 in slower, than struggle through the 8. So thank you very much Patty...that is just what I did. I did 10 and didn't look at the Garmin until I got home. Ended up being 12:20s but I'm okay with that given it is "feels like" 93 degrees. (I'll just say again...I don't know how you run in this kind of heat all of the time Damaris).

On an unrelated note...I answered a random person's question on the Detroit marathon facebook page. They then thanked me. When that showed up on my facebook page, it showed me that that person is a "friend" of Damaris. Damaris, are you just friends with everyone? Smile

So glad your long felt was better!  I'd like to think the heat doesn't brother me much but the last new nights running at 6:30, the humidity and heat were noticeable!

Today I was back on the treadmill with a fan (yay) for 4.5 miles at a "moderate" pace. I used heart rate as a guide and ran a bit faster than I would have if I'd based it on pace, 10:00 min miles after a warm up!

Docket_Rocket

You need to slow down depending on the weather.  That is why most of my runs are at 11-12mm when people of my same speed run faster than that.  The key is the effort.  If you run on pace in 60F and the same pace in 90F you are actually exerting more effort at 90F and not getting the right amount of stimulus into your workout.  It's similar to running faster than pace.  You could but it might hurt you in the end.

I usually slow down 10sec per mile per 10F above 60F.  So if it's 90F, I run 30sec/mile slower than my easy pace.  100F, close to a minute.  If it's humid, you need to slow down more.  And always use the heat index rather than the temps.

YMMV.

So I've been reading all of the threads about running in the heat and slowing down etc...but in my head I was stuck that I had to do the pace I was supposed to do. Then when I wrote I was going to do 8 instead of 10 because of the pace problem and Patty said how about slowing it down...maybe it was seeing those two things together, but Doh! Of course it would be better to get the 10 in slower, than struggle through the 8. So thank you very much Patty...that is just what I did. I did 10 and didn't look at the Garmin until I got home. Ended up being 12:20s but I'm okay with that given it is "feels like" 93 degrees. (I'll just say again...I don't know how you run in this kind of heat all of the time Damaris).

On an unrelated note...I answered a random person's question on the Detroit marathon facebook page. They then thanked me. When that showed up on my facebook page, it showed me that that person is a "friend" of Damaris. Damaris, are you just friends with everyone? Smile

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

LOL at being friends with anyone.  No, but I am friends with a couple of people from Detroit (I met from the forums).  LOL.

My dentist appointment went well and fast, so I did my 4 last night.  10 miles tonight in tropical storm conditions (wind, gusts,headwinds, rain, you name it).

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Argh, autocorrect!  So glad your long bet 'twas better!

Damaris,  I'll take heat and humidity over wind and rain, awesome determination!

So glad your long felt was better!  I'd like to think the heat doesn't brother me much but the last new nights running at 6:30, the humidity and heat were noticeable!

Today I was back on the treadmill with a fan (yay) for 4.5 miles at a "moderate" pace. I used heart rate as a guide and ran a bit faster than I would have if I'd based it on pace, 10:00 min miles after a warm up!