Marine Corps Marathon

Weeklies - Week 11 (Read 2 times)

Whew, that tough week is over. My husband and I drove my son's truck down to him in Texas. It is a LONG way from Michigan to Texas. I just didn't have it in me to run much, so last week was only 12 miles. I think I needed the break though. Holy cow, is it hot in Texas. It was 102 most days. We pretty much just hid in the air conditioning. I don't know how people (Damaris) do it. I'm so happy to be back in the 70s.

Great job to both of you on your long runs. Patty it sounds as if you have a lot of friends to run with. I've only run a few times with someone else (a HM that I ran at their pace) but it really makes the time go by. My training seems pretty lonely.

Damaris, saw (in the 2013in2013 thread) that you did 60+ miles last week. That's amazing given your heat and that you work full time. I read your MCM blog entry too. You certainly are the definition of determination.

SRD for me...seems kind of wrong since I took off most of last week, but I'm happy to go with it.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  Ahem, afternoon!  I'm busy, dang it.  Work is crazy today.  6 miles tonight.

Kim, awww, thanks.  We don't get any higher than 94-95F in Miami, but the heat index usually goes up above 100F.  This week, the highs are 90F mostly every day, so I expect my runs to be at least in 96-100F and the dewpoint has not gone down from 75 since two months ago.  Anything higher than 74DP used to give me asthma attacks but so far, so good.

Having said that, I forgot to take my asthma medication this morning. Angry

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

5 miles easy this morning : )

Kim,  thanks for the kind words, it was a tough one!  I'm really lucky to have found some great running friends who've turned into great friends outside of running, too. The long runs are waay easier with company : )  Kudos to you for surviving all the driving, I think I've lost my tolerance for long drives.  Did you get to visit with your son while you were in Texas?

Damaris, that's some impressive weekly mileage, especially with the humidity/asthma combo, breathing is kinda important to running : )

I took the RRCA Coaching certification course this weekend and was in awe of the other folks in the class.  The class was good, not overly in depth but some new info and an opportunity to put the pieces together. Now I have to pass the exam and get certified in first aid/cpr.

It was really cool to see the spectrum of running and training that people do.  One person was mentioning 10 mile runs the day after a long run as a great piece of marathon training - that just blew my mind.  5 years ago, the idea of running 5 miles before work blew my mind : )  Here's hoping my hip and other parts hold up so I can see what the next 10+ years bring!

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

8 miles today, with 6 at MP. I was able to slow it down some today, closer to what I'm supposed to be doing.

Patty, are you looking to become a coach? is that why the RRCA class ? If so, what made you want to do that?  How interesting. I actually had to google RRCA to see what you were doing.

Yes, I did get to visit with my son at Fort Hood. He's in a barracks, like a college dorm room, so it's as if he is away at college. I'm so proud of him, and from what I understand, they are only sending higher ranking people to Afghanistan right now, so I think he is fairly safe. This whole army thing has been a learning experience for me.

Woo  hoo!  Marathon group training tonight - progression run with a .7 mile loop that we aimed to run 10 seconds faster on each of 4 laps.  I forgot my garmin so I just stuck with one of the coaches who was pacing us.  She aimed for a progression like this 10:15 pace-10:00 pace-9:55pace-9:45pace but we started at 10:00 pace and worked our way down by 20-30 seconds each lap.  Definitely hard and I was pretty impressed that I hung with it, given that the last several hundred yards was uphill.  The coaches chose this loop especially to prepare us for Marine Corps, I think I'm in good hands : )

Kim, I've volunteered as a "coach" with beginning runner groups and really enjoy that so I wanted to do the RRCA course to build more knowledge.  I got a lot out of it for my own training too.  Glad you got to visit with your son at Ft. Hood.  My husband grew up in Temple, kinda next door, so I've been to that area but not onto Ft. Hood.  There is a lot to figure out with the "Army lifestyle" : )  Glad to hear he's not preparing to head overseas right away too : )  What's his "job" (MOS in Army lingo)?

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Just like that, my asthma surfaced last night and I had huge asthma issues during the second of the three intervals.  I slowed down on each interval which does not bode well for my performance but after close to 8 months without asthma issues, one should not worry me.  6 miles tonight.

Kim, nice job on both runs.

Patty, nice group run.  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Damaris - good luck with the asthma, not breathing is a little tough on running performance : )

6 miles this morning with 4 at "marathon pace".  I'm not sure what my marathon pace is so last week I tried this at 10:20 will try easing that pace toward 10:00 (for a possible 4:30 finish) - who knows, we're still quite a ways out : )  A couple more easy miles tonight with the new runners training group coaches, hoping to learn some of the paths near our meeting spot.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies.  I decided to take an SRD yesterday instead as I was out of breath for the whole day and my breathing capacity was below 50% (the normal for last year but not this year, damn it!).  So, I rested and did 11 miles this morning.  I am not at 100% (just had a coughing attack) but I'm at about 95% and the pace was great.

Nice MP run, Patty.  I also do not know my MP yet.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Damaris, sorry to hear the asthma is acting up. Glad you're better today. Could it be weather related? Funny how I read that you did 11 miles, it seems so casual when you say write it, but having done 11 myself today, and knowing how hard it was for me, ugh! I know I'm not supposed to compare myself to others, but how can I not?

Patty, that's cool being a coach, and learning so much too. I actually don't really like running, I started to lose weight, and now I'm hooked in that it makes me feel special that I can just go out and run 10 miles. So few people can do that. I suppose there is a lot of psycho-analyzing that could be done on this, but for now, I'll just keep running. I do enjoy learning about it though. (oh, and my son is a D19, cavalry scout).

Now for me....Cry

My right ankle is just a real problem. I did my MP on Tuesday, and it was killing by the end. Sharp pain above the ankle, half way between the shin bone and the ankle bone. It hurts most when I go up on my toes. So of course I researched on the net, and have been trying to convince myself it isn't a stress fracture. Did a few miles on Wednesday, it didn't hurt until 2 miles in. Then today I did 11. I went slowly and took walk breaks. It started to hurt after a mile, but never got as bad as Tuesday. Then at mile 8, it was fine. Got a bit twingy at miles 10-11. I'm fairly confident it isn't a stress fracture. I had something like this two years ago, and I took time off and it didn't help, then I just ran through it and it got better. I really hope that is all it is this time. I mean I've got plane tickets and hotel reservations. I am going to run this thing even if it is on crutches.

Docket_Rocket

Don't compare yourself.  I go through that when I see people slower than me getting fasyter PRs

but then I need to remember my lungs are not the same as that person.  We are all different.  Obsessing something you have no control over will end up in disappointment.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Hope the ankle feels better.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Don't compare yourself.  I go through that when I see people slower than me getting fasyter PRs

but then I need to remember my lungs are not the same as that person.  We are all different.  Obsessing something you have no control over will end up in disappointment.

Well, if you are going to be reasonable....there is no talking to you Wink

Obsessing over things I have no control of is one of my favorite hobbies. I have way too much free time.

Really though, thanks for the sentiment. I try to remind myself that I am older than most of the people on these boards and it just won't be as easy for me.

Docket_Rocket

Let me let you in on a little secret: I do the same!  Do as I say but not as I do!

But seriously, this shitty 60% lung capacity makes me realize I don't suck at running, my lungs do and there is so much I can do with them.  I have come to terms with that.  You might not have that but your set of circumstances are different than the runner you're comparing yourself to.

And after all, it's only running!

Hope this helps?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I know I'm not supposed to compare myself to others, but how can I not?

I'm hooked in that it makes me feel special that I can just go out and run 10 miles. So few people can do that. 

Kim,  thank you for the nice words.  No matter what I'm doing with my running, I look at the folks running more miles or trail races or faster (or with skinnier legs that look nice in shorts) and I compare myself.  But I laughed when I saw that running makes you feel special for running 10 miles ... so true for me too : )  It's a big motivator but I try not to be that person who's always talking about running at work (usually fail : )

Take care of that ankle, I'd be whining and icing (and eating ice cream), hope it feels better soon!

Damaris - wise words!  Hope the lungs get back to their current normal soon!