Marine Corps Marathon

Super Late Weeklies - Week 6 (Read 2 times)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW: From the "View" column, maybe we have a lurker or two. Please join us. We are just discussing our training leading up to MCM and would be happy to have anyone else running it join us in our blather.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ladies,

Went up north again where I don't really have internet access, so sorry I've been MIA.

Damaris, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. My father passed away this year after declining for four. Watching him have health issues is one of the main reasons I started running. I've also spent the last four years wondering what it is all about ("it" being life). With my dad I try to be happy that he had a very long and full life, and no one gets out alive. I hope your grandmother had a full life too.

Someone had in their sig line once something about life not supposed to be neat but you're supposed to slide in at the end all messy from living to your fullest. This is not my strong suit. I was raised to be somewhat fearful of new or dangerous things (dangerous - like hiking a trail in Colorodo and camping out...you know really dangerous Joking). I found some of that came from my dad who fought in WWII at the age of 18. Fortunately, my husband is nothing like this and keeps me from becoming a total hermit.

Happy anniversary and runiversary to you. And is it your birthday today? Are you heading into your taper for Chicago soon?

Patty, sounds like you are doing great too. I hope we all do well. I feel like we have all been doing the work, and deserve the payoff.

Anyway, had my highest weekly mileage last week and hoping for just a touch more this week. I'm amazed at how much I am running. Between that 2013in2013 game and Hanson's I've really picked it up.

Damaris, Oh, Facebook was kind enough to tell me that it is your birthday today. Hope you have a great day!

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, Kim!  And thanks for the kind words.  On top of my grandmother, which has been OK (so far) since we were not close anymore, my coworkers' husband died from Stage 4 cancer.  They were all ready to let him go as he was suffering much.  We are going to the funeral and entombment today.

So, for my birthday, I had a 13 miler, but I did 10 yesterday morning and stopped when it was too hot.  The plan was to run 3 with hubby last night plus 3 for my 13.  I only ended up running his 3 which is OK but not at my pace.  10 miles this morning done.  One more run to make this my peak week.  Well, two since I have to run with hubby.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Damaris, sorry to hear about your co-worker's husband. I've become very morbid. I read the obits all of the time. It is amazing the number of 50 year olds in there. My sister said that's cause cancer seems to hit people around that age. I think about that stuff a lot, and I know it isn't a good way to be, but I feel that if I quit thinking about dying, I'll forget to be appreciative that I haven't died yet. Does that even make a little sense?

Anyway, do you enjoy running with your husband. My husband runs way faster than I can even hope. So we just go to races together say good-bye and see each other at the finish. It's nice that he is always ahead of me and can cheer me in.

Went to my daughters CC meet today. It had two stream crossings and all of the mud you would want trying to get up the river banks. I think the girls really enjoy how muddy they get. I was so busy trying to take a picture I didn't even really see her go by. This has been a flaw of mine for most of my life.

Anyway, 10 miles including 3 x 2 mile repeats. It is a beautiful fall day here.

Docket_Rocket

It does make sense.  I wouldn't read the obituaries, but some of the things that happen makes me think I should appreciate life more, you know?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Kim, my husband runs slower than me (now), and I have surprisingly not killed him yet, so I guess I do enjoy running with him.

Damaris

Fundraising Page