Marine Corps Marathon

Weeklies - Week 7 (Read 3 times)

I've decided I'm a hypochondriac. (omg, I spelled that right the first time). Anyway, I vow to not complain anymore about achy joints, unless a doctor actually diagnosis something. I took 4 days off this week for my ankle, then went out Thursday (LR day) and thought I'd just run what I could. Yep, got the 16 done. 10 done on Saturday. 5 today. I just have to realize things are going to ache, and quit making so much drama.

Well, only 7 more weeks. I'm looking forward to it being over. This is a lot of running for me. I think I'd like to go back to the mid 20s.

Damaris, how is Hershey? and your asthma? Is it cooling down in FL? Only 5 more weeks for you?

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies.  What a week!  I had some issues, then I came out well, then Hershey died (but was revived) due to a reaction to the sedation, then I picked him up and he went home, and my 22 miler was a bust.

The week went well for me but I was supposed to run 70 miles and only ran 64.  By mile 14 of my 22 I felt so drained, sick, and tired, I just quit.  Spent most of the day napping and I feel much better now.  I am disappointed but I already have two 18s and two 22s, one more 18 and one more 22, so I'm covered.

Hershey is doing well.  After he went cyanotic and was revived, he turned into hell cat.  They even put a Will Bite sign on his record.  I would bite too if I had just woken up from death, ha!

Kim, you are doing great!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Kim,  nice job with 16, 10 and 5 a couple days apart!  Glad your ankle is cooperating.  I'm not sure I can support the "no complaining about aches" part, though, since that might limit my complaining, too ; )

Aww, poor kitty and poor owner! Sounds like the nap was beneficial, maybe even more than a few extra miles after that week. Glad you and Hershey made it through : )

I slacked on posting toward the end of the week.  16 miles on Saturday went well, we know the route practically by heart now.  Any advice on how long a midweek run should be in relationship to the long run?  Should I run about half the distance of my long run during the week?  My thought is that would make the long run seem less, well, long.  I'll miss my training group session tomorrow for something else so I'll have to figure out when to get that in - 8 Yasso 800s.

Damaris, sounds like you're ready for Chicago.  How long of a taper are you planning?

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

Docket_Rocket

It's a two week taper.  I have an 18 miler, a 22, and another 18 miler left.  And all fast!

The 22 I missed this week was the same one I missed last year.  Cursed, I tell you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Sounds like a PR kinda plan, Damaris!

8.78 miles today - 8 Yasso 800s on the treadmill since I missed training group tonight.  Still tough, I was a bit surprised at how many miles I covered.

Docket_Rocket

We'll see!  Asthma has her own plans sometimes.

My hamstring was screaming during my intervals today.  4 X 1 mile intervals, 8 miles total.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Wow, Damaris, I'm glad the kitty is okay. How traumatic (for him and you).  A 22 miler. Do you enjoy those? Are you running competently by the end (i.e. not slouched over, just barely moving?). When I finish my 16 miles, and remember the Hanson plan is supposed to be preparing me for the last 16 miles of the marathon, I look as if I am at the end of 26 miles. Kind of Igor looking.

Patty, nice job...Yasso's on a treadmill. I do find it is easier to do interval work on the treadmill vs. just straight running, kind of gives me something to look forward to, but I don't know about those Yasso's, I understand they are quite hard.

I've never heard of any rule about the length of the mid-week run vs. the long run. I just know I've been doing a lot of 10 milers during the week lately. I would think 10-12 would be a good mid-week length (but I'm just making that up )

Did 11 yesterday, with 9 at MP. Soooo glad I moved my MP up, or I'd never get these done. Although, we went from sweatshirts on Monday to "feels like" 102 yesterday. And we will have low in the 30s on Friday. WTH? My daughter did run her XC meet in that heat yesterday. It didn't look like fun. Everyone was about 3 minutes slower.

Easy 8 today.

Docket_Rocket

Kim, I usually feel fine by the en of 20 milers and 22s as well.  It might be that you are running the LR too fast bit I have never done Hanson, so I don't know.

12 miles tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

4 easy yesterday.  Total fail this morning - hubby got up at 4:45 for a brick workout, I rolled over and slept until 6:30 instead of getting up at 5:30.  Note to self - go to bed earlier!

Semi-related to running, I passed my RRCA Certification test and completed the FA/CPR course, yay!

On the new aches & pains front, my right knee has been tight so the chiro suggested using the foam roller on that adductor (inside thigh muscle).  Rolling that area is no easy feat and hurts like crazy - way worse than the it band.  So I guess more rolling of that area is in my future.

Kim,  10-12 during the week is great!  I'll have to work on my pace to get that in before work (see aforementioned problem with getting up early). I think the length of runs during the week may be a key for me.  11 miles with 9 at MP sounds like a great workout, way to go!

Damaris,  hope the hamstring has quieted down. 1 mile intervals sound loooong : )

Semi-related to running, I passed my RRCA Certification test and completed the FA/CPR course, yay!

CONGRATULATIONS ! Great job Patty.

Have had a couple of good runs this week. Amazing how much easier it is to run in 60 degree weather than 100. I mean really, it was 102 (feels like) on Tuesday and today it was in the 50s. It does make me worry (cause that is my new hobby) what the weather will be for MCM. As I've said before, we put all of this time and effort into something that can go to hell in a handbasket in no time (i.e. weather, injury...)

Did you guys get the email that listed the Saturday breakfast 5k option. I'm wondering if that would be fun. I just don't like the idea of having to be there at 9:00 am. Since I'm on vacation, it seems that I should be sleeping in. But I do like the idea of running the last 5k and having some familiarity with the course.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats, Patty!

So, instead of 12, I did 8.60 on Thursday and did doubles on Friday to do my 12.  The last 7 last night were super fast.  8 just now and they didn't go very well.  Breathing issues.  Hoping for good breathing tomorrow since I have 10 @ MP during a 20 miler.

Kim, sounds like great weather.  Last year, the weather was 47-55F (feels like), cloudy (due to Sandy being nearby) and awesome.  I am hoping for the same or colder.

I didn't get that email but I got an email this week so maybe it was in there?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Woo hoo!  20 miles done on Saturday and it felt pretty good.  I hit a low spot about half way and felt tired but otherwise felt strong for this run. I'm definitely tired and my legs are sore in the 2nd half but not outrageously.  I did get some icky hamstring cramping around 7 miles and took a salt caplet which ended the cramping (until mile 15 or so when it returned but was mild).  Not sure what that was about.

2.4 "recovery" miles this morning and my legs felt better after that easy run.

Kim,  I say woo hoo about this run but I am really beginning to see the point of not doing 20 mile runs.  This took 4 hours and that was pushing the pace a bit, frankly.  It turned out well but I can see how that much time running increases the chances of getting injured.  I think my weekly mileage just barely supports doing that long of a run - that's 1/2 of my weekly miles this week.  The Hanson's (and Lydiard/Running Wizard) idea of shorter long runs which are a smaller percentage of weekly mileage makes sense.

Damaris, hope the breathing issues worked themselves out so you got in a good 20 miler.  Ack, 10 at MP in that is darned impressive!

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies!

It was an 18 with the last 10 @ MP and I had the choice of doing an extra 2 since I missed some miles last night.  Well, it was 93F and 77DP and I was spent after the 18.  I hit all my paces for the MP portion but I stopped a lot to filled my water bottle, to throw water over my head.  That's how bad the 77DP were.  I am sure not confident I can run 10mm since this workout but I'm sure I won't be running them in 93F and shitty humidity!

I also did 3 miles with hubby for his longest run since the shin splints bout.  Very happy to see that.  So, 21 for the day, 67.65 for the week.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I ran 6 mi with training group last night.  The idea was to have a steady effort up hill and down so that you might run 11 min pace up and 9 min pace down for an average of 10 min pace.  It was a short steep hill and I was surprised at how much fun it was to run fast downhill : ) After a cool down mile our coach was worried we wouldn't have our 5 miles for the workout so she suggested we do "strides" (felt more like sprints).  They were tough but it was fun to "race" with a good friend in the group - she flew!

Overslept this morning (hmm) and got my run in tonight - 5 easy miles.  Yay for easy miles : )

Damaris - yay for your husband's shin splints getting better!  Yuck to the humidity, hopefully that will make Chicago even more pleasant (and a bit easier : )