Marathon Training and Discussions

How to train to marathon again a month later? (Read 463 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So I discovered a marathon a month after my last one, that I want to do. Well, a week and a half have gone by, so only a few weeks left. So do I try some bit of ramp up and then almost immediately ramp down? Or just keep low-level running and throw in one distance run in the middle? (Gonna do a race plus mid-long this Sunday anyway.) Surely some of you people are some of those lunatics that are accustomed to doing marathons in quick succession. I've never done it, but just can't resist a particular one upcoming.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

When I ran three marathons in three months last January-March, I simply used the "in between" weeks as a taper period. I repeated my taper before each race. Remember you already ramped up in your first marathon build so you won't loose any fitness, just make sure you recover and when you do run keep the intensity/effort hihg, it is the volume that you are tapering. Good luck!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
      My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
      Ride 112 miles.
      Run 26.2 miles.
      Then brag for the rest of your life.
      -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

xor

It kind of depends on how quickly you recover from the last one. Assuming you feel fine but you only have 3ish weeks left, my suggestion is that you get in a couple 17-20 milers on the next couple weekends which may or may not leave you with one weekend before the race to officially call 'taper'. With races this close together, you have to modify your approach to what a real taper offers. Keep a tempo run in there, or minimally some fartlek, each week. Keep your mileage up. Or, if you cut your mileage way back after your first race, get it back up there. This is my most important suggestion. And if you get achy or your body complains, ditch the next race. Depending on how you've been recovering, you are taking on additional risk by ramping back up. As always, pay attention to the signals. Do not expect to set any land speed records. Although you can train to run the followups faster... in fact, my best times and PRs have always come in the 3rd or 4th marathon I do in rapid succession (1 per weekend)... you probably won't do that this time. I feel crappiest in follow-up races where I dropped my mileage, btw. You can find a 4 weeks-between-races plan at the back of Pfitzinger and Douglas' Advanced Marathoning book. If you look at halhigdon.com, I think he's got stuff out there for running races fairly close together too. Good luck. Doing it this way isn't for everyone, but it can be fun and it is a definite challenge.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks guys. I'm very curious how it will turn out. I'm not doing it because I want to PR, but because it is an inaugural race over ground that I know well, so I think I'll enjoy running a marathon over that familiar ground.

xor

Which race?

Top 'O the World!

now, why did I know you'd pop in here?!@?
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              xor

Someone said 'candyman' three times.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Which race?
                  Rehoboth Marathon.

Roses Revenge

When I did this last spring, I took it pretty easy the first week, went moderately long (15-18) the next weekend and then tapered with about 8 to 10 on the remaining weekend. Rinse, repeat. I just treated the first one as a long training run for the second and the second as a long training run for the third.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Go Pre!

I did 2 a month apart in the spring and just finished running 3 in 5 weeks. Not that I am an expert or anything I recommend you finish this 2nd week off with more easy running but get your long run in Sunday, somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-18 miles and a 20 miler next weekend with a 2 week taper, similar to the 2 weeks before your last marathon. For next week, try to get a good mid-long tempo run, near goal race pace but all other runs should be easy. Don't be surprised if you run the 2nd race feeling better than the first one!