Marathon Training and Discussions

Freaking out about Half Marathon (Read 198 times)

Kimmie

Ok, I know I shouldn't freak out but I am. I am running the Parks Half Marathon tomorrow in MD as part of my training for the Marine Corps Marathon. I was hoping to use this race as a way to help me set a goal for Marine Corps, but the weather report is bad. 90% humidity at 7 am. That stinks. I do not run well in high humidity. I can't even think of anything different to do other than wear my fuel belt and go out slower than I thought I would. Should I just chuck the time goal out the window? I was hoping for around 1:50 or 1:45. ( My PR is 1:47) But now I'm not so sure. I guess I will need to run by feel, which has always been tricky for me. Any advice? I know it's not helping that I'm frustrated. It is just a race after all. I'm resisting the urge to clean out my garage to get my frustration out of my system. Smile If the weather is anything like today, I'm doomed. I just came from my daughter's soccer game where I was sweating just standing there. ugh! thanks for letting me vent.... Deep breathing.... Big grin

Dave

I just got back from what supposed to be an easy 8 out in this humidity. I'm not sure I can soften the blow. The weather tomorrow is going to suck. Period. Here's what I would do. Use it as a test of your intended marathon pace (3:45, right?), that would give you an 8:36 pace. That would put you around a 1:53:00. If you can do the half in the conditions tomorrow, you should be really solid at that pace in the cooler late October weather. I think its just a matter of adjusting your expectations. Maybe even go out easier around 8:45 and then run the last 3 fast. If I had some s-tabs or something like that, I'd bring them. With all the hard work you've done this summer, it would be a shame to overdue it on an HM that's actually a practice run for the big thing.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Giants Fan

Ok, don't stress too much this isn't the one you are putting in all the work for...its just another rung on the ladder. So, as far as time goes, I wouldn't worry too much about it, run what feels good and let the rest take care of itself. BUT, do let us know how you do.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Kimmie

thanks for the responses. I knew I just needed to get it out there and calm down a bit. I haven't decided what the plan will be, but I will let you know how it goes.

A Saucy Wench

I think the toughest part is remembering that it does NOT reflect your preparation for the marathon.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dave

Kimmie, how did it go?

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

It was bad, very bad. I've run in hot conditions before so I'm not sure why this one was so bad for me. I've never felt dizzy during a race. If they had had those "take you to the finsh" cars, I would have jumped on. I slowed way down, stopped, poured water on my head, walked and finally finished in 2:05. Three weeks ago I ran a 20K (12.5 miles) in 1:42- so I was way off my goal. There were so many people passing out. Just not a good day to run a race. But, it's over... time to move on and get refocused. Thanks for the help everyone.

Dave

I ran in that weather today too. No fun. When I got back, I looked like I had jumped in a swimming pool. Had sweated out 7 pounds. As Ennay said earlier, try not to put too much emphasis on it. You certainly haven't gotten into any worst shape since your 20K. Just a tough day. Runnerworld has an article this month about a pacer who couldn't hit his time because of even less oppressive conditions. You just can't extrapolate from that race to your marathon time/pace.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It may be because this weekend was a spike in heat and humidity -- I thought I was well-adjusted to heat and humidity from the summer, and I found my run yesterday afternoon and a longer one this mid-morning both to be harder than I expected, due to the surprise return of 90 degree high humidity weather.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.