Marathon Training and Discussions

Ran first 16 miles this past weekend getting ready for Marathon.. (Read 309 times)

Me and my two amigos ran our 16 miler this past weekend. We are preparing for San Diego in June. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. Without the two of them, I would not have made it. Before our training started in January, the farthest any of us had run was 4 miles. Its hard to believe how far we have come. It felt really great to finish the run. I felt like I had to spread the good news. I'll let ya know how the other long runs and the marathon turns out.

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

va

Well done TWTIGER03! That's a great accomplishment, in such a short time.
        Great job! Isn't it amazing what we can do when we put our mind and body to it?!
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

madness baby

Great job Tiger! Such a great feeling. Take it easy after that long run and enjoy the fact that you can run 16, something most people would never even try to do. Then get back out there and run more! Big grin
          deb

Prophet!

nice job on the run, nice to have training partners...hopefullly they're at the same pace as you are. Good luck on the other long runs and the marathon.
              Thanks for all the kind words. It really is funny to think about how far we have come since we were wondering if we could finish the 6 mile run. My running mates and I are at the same level/pace when we run. However, I was the one struggling the most this time. One thing we have found is how difficult it is to plan out how much we will need to drink/eat during the runs. Inevitably every long run we find we would have been better off with a little more fluid or food. Its a learning process and you have to pay the price for learning those lessons. Hopefully by the time the marathon rolls around we will know what feels best to our bodies.

One thing we have found is how difficult it is to plan out how much we will need to drink/eat during the runs. Inevitably every long run we find we would have been better off with a little more fluid or food. Its a learning process and you have to pay the price for learning those lessons. Hopefully by the time the marathon rolls around we will know what feels best to our bodies.
                It will continue to be a learning process. I tend to need a ALOT of liquid when I run, so after reading so much about hypnometria (sp?), or drinking too much water, I did an experiment that the articles recomend to determine your individual sweat rate on runs. I was surprised to find I lost 2 pounds (exactly) on a 43 minute run . I will perform this experiment 1 or 2 more times, and hope to come up with an amount to drink during my next M in a month. But, I'm finding, each long run is completely different experience, and I imagine each M will be, too. Also - remmeber that even if you tend to struggle more than your friends, you are stilling doing the distance, and that's an accomplishment to be proud of.
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                  TW, Great job running 16. I will be running 15 this saturday, which will be my longest run to date. Ran 13.1 2 weeks ago which felt great, but then had a relapse where during a planned 7 mile run, about a mile and a half into it, both legs cramped up from the hips down. Had to walk back. Took 3 days off and ran 10 miles last saturday, and 7 yesterday both at a slower pace than normal; no problems. Not sure what happened, must have been a little over training or not enough stretching. I'll be running la jolla 1/2 marathon in a couple weeks which will be a great tune up run for RnR. 2 months to go till RnR!!

Go Pre!

Good to hear! I did 15 last weekend and am on to 18 this weekend. You know, I am actually looking forward to it???? Crazy I know but the training has been quite enjoyable and therapeutic. Hey TW, I notice you have long run entries and only a couple of others per week. Are you not entering all of your runs or are you doing the very scaled down training? Dave

madness baby

Hey TW, I notice you have long run entries and only a couple of others per week. Are you not entering all of your runs or are you doing the very scaled down training?
                      I know you're not asking me, but this long run every-other-weekend is something I think I'd do if I do another marathon. I simply need more time to recover from long runs, and it really affected my mid-week runs. TW, are you following a plan like that or is it schedulign, etc?
                      deb

Go Pre!

Many different approaches to training! I am feeling good week to week - but I have been doing the gradual increase for a few weeks and then drop back a bit. I guess it's just a science that is nearly impossible to assign on a per person basis.
                          Quote from Daddyo on 4/5/2007 at 8:17 PM: Hey TW, I notice you have long run entries and only a couple of others per week. Are you not entering all of your runs or are you doing the very scaled down training? "I know you're not asking me, but this long run every-other-weekend is something I think I'd do if I do another marathon. I simply need more time to recover from long runs, and it really affected my mid-week runs. TW, are you following a plan like that or is it schedulign, etc?" - RunChic My training calls for more runs during the week and a long every other week. So this coming Sat. we will be running the 18 miler. My body feels so spent and sore after the long runs, I usually dont run again until about Wed. the next week. That isnt was the schedule says, its just me trying to figure out what is best between a preparation and injury prevention stand point. So after the long run I take about 3 or 4 days off and then the next week I try and get back on the scheule with about 3 or 4 runs leading up to my long run on Sat. My schedule also calls for a 4 mile run every Friday before the long run and I usually skip that. I typically run on the Thurs. before the long run and then dont run at all on Friday cause I want my legs to be as fresh as can be. Im no expert and have never done this before so I try and use the schedule as a guide, but also I realize it wasnt a schedule made specifically for me and that we all differ in our eperience, distance, and times when it comes to running.