Marathon Training and Discussions

Where are you in training? (Read 469 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And how are things going? I just started week 13 of my 18 week training plan. I had originally been doing something pretty similar to Higdon's Intermediate II plan, but ongoing knee issues forced me to scale back to Higdon Intermediate I. 2 weeks ago tried a pair of Superfeet insoles in a last ditch effort to make my knee HTFU and today I am kicking myself for not having tried them MONTHS ago, when the knee first started acting up. I had even tried different shoes...which helped the knee, but had me limping in pain with angry arches. Right now I'd say my knee is at least 75% good, if not more, and feels better every day. So the first 2/3 of training were rough and I nearly bailed on my race. Now I have no doubt that I will not only make it to the start line, but that I will probably have a pretty decent first race. I won't be a speed demon, by any stretch of the imagination, but I think there's a good chance that I will finish in under 4:30 and definitely under 5 hours...unless I blow up. Tongue AND the finish line of my race will have "Milwaukee Ale House" beer...I would have been happy with Miller Lite or even Milwaukee's BEAST, but now I am extra stoked...and I will get to meet RA peeps on the other side of Lake MI, too--bonus! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

Into week 'hmmm, not really sure' in my 'many weeks' home made program. Basically it started the week after my last marathon (Niagara on the Lake - June 21) and includes lotsa miles and had almost no speed-work at the start. Got into long 20 mile runs right off the bat and I fluctuate between 20+ and somewhere slightly less but more intense, be it a race or a long training run. A look at the last 3 months of my log will reveal a very unorthodox schedule whereupon you would not be able to say "hey Dave, are you doing 'so and so's' plan?" Is it working? Well, I am running 50-60 mile weeks, have been through 8 weeks of hills, added some medium long tempo runs on Fridays, some progressive runs, some races (all PRs) a lot of easy miles - and I'm not feeling any pains - yet (this weekend I had a 'tweak' in the left inside knee - knock on wood it is short lived) Last race was a 30k, 9 days ago and ran a PR of 2:25 while being dog tired and no taper. So I am stoked for this fall's 3 marathon in 5 week extravaganza. First one as a 3:30 PR, 2nd as a 3:20 BQ attempt, and 3rd as a whatever I can muster up run for the hell of it event Surprised And that is my answer to where I am in training.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(this weekend I had a 'tweak' in the left inside knee - knock on wood it is short lived) Last race was a 30k, 9 days ago and ran a PR of 2:25 while being dog tired and no taper. So I am stoked for this fall's 3 marathon in 5 week extravaganza. First one as a 3:30 PR, 2nd as a 3:20 BQ attempt, and 3rd as a whatever I can muster up run for the hell of it event Surprised
        Oooh...be c-a-r-e-f-u-l about that knee tweak thing. That is exactly how mine started. I think as much from not taking it easier in the 3 weeks between 25k race and start of marathon traing as it was due to needing more arch support in my shoes. Next year I will be LAZY between the 25k race and starting training...lesson learned. Blush Can't wait to see what you do in your 3 marathons--that's an insane schedule, but also really cool and admirable. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hey Kirsten - remind me when your marathon is? Mine is 5th Oct and I'm pretty sure your's must be about the same time.

Go Pre!

Hey Kirsten - remind me when your marathon is? Mine is 5th Oct and I'm pretty sure your's must be about the same time.
            That's hers as well Smile - Hence the Avatar - Oct 5 Freak out! ---- I will see how the knee is tonight after taking yesterday off. Hopefully what I felt on the weekend was just a bit of aggravation and nothing serious. If it acts up at all I will take a few more days off and see how that goes. I don't think it is too bad at this point but we will see.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's hers as well Smile - Hence the Avatar - Oct 5 Freak out!
              Evil grin Take care of that knee. I've learned the hard way that the longer one tries to run through that garbage and not find a solution (actually, I was trying diligently to find a solution, but after taking a couple of weeks off and doing consistent quad strengthening work that didn't help I should have looked at orthotic solutions, first, instead of gambling with new shoes). Purdey, you will be well across your finish line by the time I toe mine. I will be running in CST, which I believe is 6 hours behind you. Think of my trials and travails as you down a few brews. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

I'm 4 weeks behind you guys (USMC on the 28th). Training is much better than my last one which I essentially didn't train for but ran on a bit of a whim after only 30 miles the previous month (check out my log from last fall. Ridiculous). I'm still not entirely sure on my goal pace. Was shooting for a 3:45 but have struggled on some long runs recently and may back off to a 3:50 pace depending on the weather. Cooler temps really seem to help me. I switched shoes a few weeks ago after getting measured at a running store (switched from nuetral back to stability shoes). Seems to be helping some. After Sunday's 18, my knee was tweaking a bit as well but I'm pretty sure its nothing serious. Felt better after loosening up about a mile in yesterday. Long runs coming up are 19, 20, 12, and 20. After that I have one more 20 and then a taper. Zoomie, I have no doubt that you're going to do great on your upcoming race. I'm betting on a 4:20 Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomie, I have no doubt that you're going to do great on your upcoming race. I'm betting on a 4:20 Big grin
                  That's what the calculators all say based upon my HM PR...but given my rough training these last months I'd be thrilled with a 4:30...or simply <5. :p>

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

That's what the calculators all say based upon my HM PR...but given my rough training these last months I'd be thrilled with a 4:30...or simply <5.>
                    My money is on 4:17. Proove me right Kirsten! Link to the Clarendon Marathon that I'm doing on 5th Oct: http://home.btconnect.com/r2d2/clarendon/homecentre.htm As you can see it's a trail point-to-point with a lot of hills and an overall gain in elevation. Not one for a PR. In 2006 I ran it in 4:20 having hurt my knee at 17 miles ish. This year I'm hoping for sub 4. Maybe even a 3:45.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Looks like a nice race, Purdey. Good hills! Heh, the race I am doing is slightly downhill the entire way...which could be a good thing or bad. Wink If you hurt your knee 2/3 of the way in last time and still pulled a 4:20, then I have no doubt that you will be well under 4 this time. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

My marathon (Harrisburg) is on Nov. 9, so I still have 11 weeks to go.... My 2nd (of 5) 20 miler is this weekend. I'm currently around 44-46 miles per week, and I probably won't get much beyond 50. I've cobbled together my own plan, using the long runs from the FIRST plan, plus 5 more days of running per week, mostly from Bart Yasso's plan.... but I'm thinking there's not enough speed work in that one, so I might be importing some faster speed workouts into it next week. I have been very very very lucky this summer.. very injury free. I attribute it to a really heavy spring of aerobic running -- gradual increases in miles, virtually no fast running and lots of trails. Endurance-wise, I'm kicking tail right now, but I need to put in some speed stuff, since that's definitely my weakness.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Go Pre!

My marathon (Harrisburg) is on Nov. 9, so I still have 11 weeks to go.... My 2nd (of 5) 20 miler is this weekend. I'm currently around 44-46 miles per week, and I probably won't get much beyond 50. I've cobbled together my own plan, using the long runs from the FIRST plan, plus 5 more days of running per week, mostly from Bart Yasso's plan.... but I'm thinking there's not enough speed work in that one, so I might be importing some faster speed workouts into it next week. I have been very very very lucky this summer.. very injury free. I attribute it to a really heavy spring of aerobic running -- gradual increases in miles, virtually no fast running and lots of trails. Endurance-wise, I'm kicking tail right now, but I need to put in some speed stuff, since that's definitely my weakness.
                          Dude - you are no slowpoke! I would love to have your current speeed. But then of course, if I dod, I would love to have more so I know where you are coming from Smile
                          jpnairn

straw man

I will run the Twin Cities Marathon on October 5th, but I can't really say I've been training for it. I'd better put in a couple of long runs in the next couple of weeks. I'm not particularly concerned as I plan to run it with my brother at his pace, and he hasn't been able to train much. I've done slow marathons on little training before, so I'm not too worried about this. I've been generally unmotivated lately. After Twin Cities is over, I'll try to commit to doing well in one of the other challenges coming up.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

...---...

Exactly half way for me - week 8 of 16 for October 25 marathon. Interesting things going on with my body but overall, feeling pretty good. Every week the mileage tasks seem daunting but then I get there and realize it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I guess I'm doing the right things if this is the result. My ultimate goal is just get across the line so the expectations are not very demanding. Sorry for just now speaking up - I've been reading, absorbing, and learning from you folks for several weeks now. Thought it was time to come out from behind the curtain. Cheers.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

A Saucy Wench

T-6 weeks I think? It was going well. I also tweaked a knee on HTC this weekend. My last leg had seriously banked curves. I THINK it is nothing serious but it has me worried. This was supposed to be a hard week, but if the knee isnt better by the weekend, I'll make it an easy week and rearrange the schedule. If I make it to the start line uninjured I should break 4 hours easily and have a chance at a BQ (need good weather, etc.)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7