Marathon Training and Discussions

Hello quiet people (Read 506 times)

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Big Sur for me in 14 days! Then I'm going to stick to improving my time in the Half this year (PR is 2:06 last year and I want to go for a sub-2).

Jeanne

Running Flying Pig in Cincinnati to beat 4 hours. Last long run of 23 miles was at a pace for about 3:45, hopefully the big hill won't slow me down too much. I'm considering the Hatfield/McCoy reunion marathon on June 14 for a nice, scenic, challenging run.
      mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Training to run my 1st, starting about a week ago... I'm signed up for the NYC lottery, but if I don't get in there I'm looking at Hartford or Cape Cod or Newport as my alternate plan (right now I think Newport is ahead). Planning in the next 10 weeks to get back to or better than the level I was at last summer (~15-20 miles/week) then starting building from there with 11/2 as my goal date. Maybe I'll end up hitting a PR or two along the way. Guaranteed I'll be running in races longer than I've ever done before!
          What was the upfront cost for the NYC lottery?
          mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

If I remember right it was $11 - last year was $10.
              I'm in for the lottery, too. Meant to start with the lottery last year.
                Who's doin' what this spring? There's gotta be a plethora of marathon training going on around these parts. Topics for discussion: Anyone training differently than they did for previous marathons? Anyone hoping to BQ? Who's running their first? Who is going to juggle the whole way (click) D@VE
                I'm training more smart this time. I'm actually taking the time to plan and prepare so I'm bulding a base and then will start my 18 week program 18 weeks from November 16--the San Antonio Inaugral RNR. I'm excited because I know I will do better. I"m also doing low heart rate training to help me get there. I may BQ when I'm 80. This will be my second.
                Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                  I'll be doing my first Marathon next Sunday, April 27th. The Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon. Good luck to everyone running or training!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    Will be doing my first marathon on June the 21st (and I'm already nervous) Big grin This afternoon I'm racing an "warm-up HM" .. if just I could be under 1h 40' ...

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

Running Flying Pig in Cincinnati to beat 4 hours. Last long run of 23 miles was at a pace for about 3:45, hopefully the big hill won't slow me down too much. I'm considering the Hatfield/McCoy reunion marathon on June 14 for a nice, scenic, challenging run.
                      I'll see your back - doing the Pig for my first marathon in four years so just want to finish - and then NYC!
                      Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Lisa--long time, no see! Glad you're still around! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm running Grandma's on June 21. I'd like to BQ there, which would be a 3:15 for me. Realistically, I think I'll be close. I'm doing some pretty good milage, for me, and am uninjured. Plus, the last two 5k's I ran were nice PRs. I know 5Ks aren't a good predictor for a Marathon, but they've definately give me some confidence that a BQ is possible. I plan on running a ten mile race in two weeks and will use that to better guage my chances. I plan on running Philly in the Fall. So, if I'm not able to qualify at Grandma's, hopefully I can do so then. Brad: good luck this weekend.
                          protoplasm72

I'm also running Grandma's Marathon on June 21. It will be my third marathon. I should be able to break 3:30 if conditions are good. Then I'm doing Chicago again in October. Secretly I'm hoping to BQ in Chicago but officially I say my goal is 3:20 which is much more realistic. I'm also going to try my first tri between those marathons Cool

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I'm also running Grandma's Marathon on June 21. Cool
                              How's your training for grandma's going? I'm getting excited.
                              protoplasm72

The training is going good except my left knee has been getting a little achy for the past week or 2. It hurts for the first half mile and then is fine. That knee is the one that gave me trouble with ITBS just before my last marathon so I'm watching it closely. Other than that I think I'm actually on pace for my highest monthly mileage ever this month, and next month should be even more. I definitely feel like this could be a very good race for me.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson