Marathon Training and Discussions

Tecumseh Trail Marathon (Read 429 times)

All business

Does anyone know anything about this race? I'm thinking about driving out there for it, but have never run a "trail race" before. Do they tend to be pretty level paths, or should i expect running over boulders and wet logs? Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Chris

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Chris - From the description, it sounds like a good entry level trail running experience, since you've already run a road marathon. I found I ran slower (by 2-4 minutes per mile) on trails, but had a TON more fun. Most trails will have rocks, some may have logs to climb over, some will have to go through creeks. Most trees tend to get cleared off the trails regularly. My feeling is it takes more physical "effort" to run the trails, but I don't have a "mental" challenge. I was just thinking yeasterday that of the past 2 50ks I've done, and I didn't have that "Why do I do this?" quitting feeling like i've had on every road marathon. The trails are pretty, and it's a different experience completely. If you want to do it, get out training on some single track forested trails to see how it feels. Hal Higdon has a good Back-to-Back 8 week Marathon training plan that I have used several times. The secret will be to run as many as your runs on trails as you possibly can.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      btb1490

I did it a few years back. It was a blast! This particular race was anything but flat, and the surface varied. Nothing was extremely technical, but there were some small stream crossings and some sections with rocks and roots where you had to really pay attention to your footing. In general though, it was run on nice trails and dirt roads and even small stretches on regular roads. Race check in was in a small cabin in the middle of a state forest. If you went at night to check in, you had to bring a flashlight to find your way, and the cabin has no electricity so the only light came from a roaring fire. There was an awesome spread of food at the end of the race, with homemade soups and sandwiches and salads. It's definitely worth doing. You'll find a fun camraderie amongst these trail runners that you don't always get at road races.
          Chris - From the description, it sounds like a good entry level trail running experience, since you've already run a road marathon. I found I ran slower (by 2-4 minutes per mile) on trails, but had a TON more fun. Most trails will have rocks, some may have logs to climb over, some will have to go through creeks. Most trees tend to get cleared off the trails regularly. My feeling is it takes more physical "effort" to run the trails, but I don't have a "mental" challenge. I was just thinking yeasterday that of the past 2 50ks I've done, and I didn't have that "Why do I do this?" quitting feeling like i've had on every road marathon. The trails are pretty, and it's a different experience completely. If you want to do it, get out training on some single track forested trails to see how it feels. Hal Higdon has a good Back-to-Back 8 week Marathon training plan that I have used several times. The secret will be to run as many as your runs on trails as you possibly can.
          DITTO!!!!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

All business

Thanks so much for the comments. It sounds like a wonderful race, and makes me want to try a trail run. I'm possibly in the market for another race before the new year, and will have to let you know when i finally decide. Thanks Again!

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

t_runner

Did you do this? It was on my maybe list for this year, but I didn't quite make it... May try for it another year though.

All business

Sorry, we've talked about it so much in my other group, i forgot to let the Mob know that it was some of the most fun i've ever had! So thanks for the recommendations. It was a challenge, that was for sure, but the course, and the other runners were great. So much fun. I got second place in my age division which was a nice surprise/bonus! Here's my race report: Tecumseh Report

t_runner

Nice job on the race and the age group plaque!! That's always nice especially when you aren't even expecting it.. I think you hit the nail on the head about why trail marathons are so great in your report: "I'd read that some people said that this course was more physically than mentally challenging. I can see how people would say that. I was kept so busy watching for the course, and where my feet were going to land, i didn't get lost in the monotony of running forward for 3-4 hours. And there were, for sure at a couple of the hills towards the end, times when my legs were feeling awfully tired of climbing hills. "